Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I think some Richmond fans have misread the situation with Rioli and Bolton.

Rioli and Bolton both achieved great things at Tiger land and will both have a very special place in the history of the club.

But let's not kid ourselves here. Yes the club loves both players but they're not idiots. They recognize the need to regenrate and understand the situation in front of them.

They are motivated sellers just as much as Gold Coast and Fremantle are motivated buyers.

As always, fans will huff and they will puff, but the reality is neither party will walk away from either of these deals.
The buying club won't completely lowball the Tigers, and the Tigers won't be silly enough to price other clubs out of the equation.

This is not a similar situation to a Warner or a Houston or a Pickett. Let's not pretend otherwise.
☝🏻this

3 opinions stated as fact yet again

The facts are
He will be 28 early next year
He wants out after giving great service
He was a pick 15 but you want pick 6 nine years later
he hasn’t won the b&f

Try to state facts, you might like it for a change
So why would the Suns want such an old sheet player
you guys must be crazy

Lets see after trade week ill back my opinion on pick #7

So why would the Suns want such an old sheet player
you guys must be crazy

Lets see after trade week ill back my opinion on pick #7
Because he brings experience to a young side that hasn't experienced finals yet. And yes he will help them improve next year but his not a pick #7 worth. But I would trade #13 and #20

Gold Coast just know what its going to cost and they will pay it !!

Re Daniel Rioli
"Speaking to AFL.com.au about the specifics of a possible trade, football boss Wayne Campbell said "we want him in the door".
"We'll deal with Richmond in good faith, and we hope to get the deal done.
"We said to Daniel we want him here, so it's up to us to uphold our end of the bargain.""

There's always a chance of trading up for North's pick 2 or Eagles 3 or saints 7, I think North would rather not have pick 2 themselves when they can split it for a bunch of picks and fill some holes in their list. Eagles will want either Draper or Finn but if persuaded could get 9 13 & 14 to go with 12 they might be in favour of doing so. That said Tigers could do that with 6 too but they have to convince suns to do so.

Tigers Can trade for 2 or 3 and get both Jagga & Smillie.

I’d say there is a very slim chance of those deals happening, but a very good chance of landing 6 for Rioli and trading points for Brisbanes first. Common sense is to focus on the most likely deals first. Sure we’d be mad not to look at those options if they were considered a good chance, but the kind of deal you speculated in the GC thread seems very far fetched to me. And then you have to do another unlikely trade to get back to the pointy end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gold Coast just know what its going to cost and they will pay it !!

Re Daniel Rioli
"Speaking to AFL.com.au about the specifics of a possible trade, football boss Wayne Campbell said "we want him in the door".
"We'll deal with Richmond in good faith, and we hope to get the deal done.
"We said to Daniel we want him here, so it's up to us to uphold our end of the bargain.""
I am amazed Campbell made that comment, certainly infers GC are going to be generous to ensure the trade happens. Hard to see Pick 6 not being involved after that, Richmond would be negligent not to ask for it. I was a bit sceptical previously but am much more confident now.

I am amazed Campbell made that comment, certainly infers GC are going to be generous to ensure the trade happens. Hard to see Pick 6 not being involved after that, Richmond would be negligent not to ask for it. I was a bit sceptical previously but am much more confident now.
Im not surprised at all to be honest

The deal was already agreed on prior to Rioli requesting a trade and both sides would have had 90% of the deal sorted and agreed on and they are all Richmond people - Simple

Its just a matter of how much of the salary they need payed by Richmond that will determine what the 2nd pick will be

;)

I noticed your old post saying Rioli will be 300 games player for Richmond. Not going to happen regardless he is traded this off-season on not. You don't keep players who want out.
You do if their contracted & the club wanting them don't offer overs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supporters on the main would expect their club to be posturing but the reality is that clubs that woo contracted players have to make the deal happen.
The onus is on them to make the trade and they are all professional enough to realise this.

Some fans get sucked in by the radio talk every year.
It’s hilarious.
Campbells comments are refreshing and honest.

Not true. Richmond are clearly motivated sellers in this instance.
Clearly, but only at a price that satisfies. The CEO just said that it would take extraordinary deals for us to release contracted players.

As Campbell said, "We've approached Rioli" it's not the other way around, so just as clearly they are motivated buyers and obviously more highly motivated than the Tigers are as sellers.

Clearly, but only at a price that satisfies. The CEO just said that it would take extraordinary deals for us to release contracted players.

The CEO is obliged to say that. Members would be outraged if he said otherwise, and rightly so.

I wouldn’t read much into it.

As Campbell said, "We've approached Rioli" it's not the other way around, so just as clearly they are motivated buyers and obviously more highly motivated than the Tigers are as sellers.

Richmond haven’t been sitting on their hands waiting for a club to come asking questions.

I think it’s silly to suggest they’re not equally motivated as sellers. I think it’s really clear that they are.

Post 837, stated that the Tigers will just tell Rioli you value him more than pick 13, yet 13 is a higher pick that you paid for him when you picked him up as a young man, I would think he would see this is disingenuous by the Tigers considering the service he has given.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

The CEO is obliged to say that. Members would be outraged if he said otherwise, and rightly so.

I wouldn’t read much into it.

Richmond haven’t been sitting on their hands waiting for a club to come asking questions.

I think it’s silly to suggest they’re not equally motivated as sellers. I think it’s really clear that they are.
Motivated at the right price, his still contracted.

FWIW, I don't think what a list manager says in public has any impact on a trade outside of riling up the masses. I don't think a club is looking to a public statement to find the stance on a player or trade.
What do you think his motivation was for making comments like that then ? It does show how much the Suns want Rioli and it certainly doesn’t strengthen your trade position by making comments like that in public as it now raises expectations that it must get done or Campbell will look foolish.

What do you think his motivation was for making comments like that then ? It does show how much the Suns want Rioli and it certainly doesn’t strengthen your trade position by making comments like that in public as it now raises expectations that it must get done or Campbell will look foolish.
As much as some of us like to think on here, we don't do the trades.

My point was making a public comment has no bearing on what a trade is going to look like, all that is done behind closed doors, where Campbell may be making similar comments reaffirming this.

The Richmond list team aren't seeing his comments on AFL.com.au and going 'well now we know where they stand'.

Motivated at the right price, his still contracted.

Of course, but there are no suggestions that the Suns are going to play hard ball here.

It’s not a case of “give us 6 or no deal” or “we’re not offering more than 13, so take it or no deal”.

Despite the bravado on display from certain supporters, I am very confident in saying that neither club will walk away from this deal.

Of course, but there are no suggestions that the Suns are going to play hard ball here.

It’s not a case of “give us 6 or no deal” or “we’re not offering more than 13, so take it or no deal”.

Despite the bravado on display from certain supporters, I am very confident in saying that neither club will walk away from this deal.
From what campbell said it sounds like it's already done

From what campbell said it sounds like it's already done

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t. They’ve had a while to discuss.

It may just take a while if they’re waiting on later picks. That can take some time as you’re relying on other deals to get done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back