Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

You never know what they are until a few years later
We have been told so many times that this is a super draft and turns out trash and some drafts are good at the pointy end and crap the rest . truth is nobody know until atleast 4-5 years later but when you trade in a player like Rioli you pretty much know you are getting 100 games from a known quality

Recruiters spend years watching these players before they enter the system. They may get calls on individual players wrong, but what you are essentially suggesting here is that the entire industry has no idea, and your justification is 'because'.

Good luck with that.

Reality is, pointing to the Saad deal as some sort of concrete proof of what Rioli should go for, is a deeply, deeply flawed argument in isolation.

Funny how everything goes quite when Saad trade is mentioned as a comparison

Yes Saad UNCONTRACTED pick #8
Rioli CONTRACTED pick #7

Looks about right

Gold Coast should just stuffing around and give Richmond what we want and get it done
#6 + #23 done deal
Did Essendon want to trade Saad? Did Carlton have anything other than pick 8? Did kent's melt that it was overs at the time?

How far king boring is this trade period? Can they not just get it done so we can find something else to argue over?

Recruiters spend years watching these players before they enter the system. They may get calls on individual players wrong, but what you are essentially suggesting here is that the entire industry has no idea, and your justification is 'because'.

Good luck with that.

Reality is, pointing to the Saad deal as some sort of concrete proof of what Rioli should go for, is a deeply, deeply flawed argument in isolation.
How is it a flawed argument ?
Exact same position a similar player being traded for a similar pick as a comparison.

Compared to a draft pick which has every possibility to be a fail or not play 100 games
I would say less than 50% of 1st round picks would play 100 games and the recruiters that spend years watching and researching them before being drafted would have put the exact same effort in the past as they do now,

Rioli & Saad trade values are a perfect comparison

Did Essendon want to trade Saad? Did Carlton have anything other than pick 8? Did kent's melt that it was overs at the time?

How far king boring is this trade period? Can they not just get it done so we can find something else to argue over?
Irrelevant after the trade is done. He was traded for pick #8 and carlton did the trade

Irrelevant after the trade is done. He was traded for pick #8 and carlton did the trade
Listen La La La GIF by Extreme Improv

Lachie Schulz (OOC) 11 & 34
Taranto (OOC) 12&19
Cerra (OOC) 6 & R3

Rioli - 3 years contract left - 6 and something

It's not that hard to work out.

If he was OOC he'd probably get a mid/late teens pick.

BUT, he's in contract
You're being disingenuous about Shultz.

Firstly, he was in contract.

Secondly, he wasn't traded for pick 11.
At the time he was traded for Collingwoods first which luckily for the Dockers ended up at 11.

Collingwood have admitted paying overs as he was contracted.

You have a dog in the fight, I understand that.

But if you take out the Richmond and GC supporters out of the equation, the general consensus seem to think pick 6 is overs.

How is it a flawed argument ?
Exact same position a similar player being traded for a similar pick as a comparison.

I already told you one reason - not all drafts are the same.

The argument may stack up if they were all rated the same. They are not. They never have been and they never will be.

When you add that to the reality that you are talking about four completely different clubs at four completely different stages, the argument becomes even more flawed.

No, the comparison is not a perfect one. Far from it in fact. I'd go with lazy as a more accurate description.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're being disingenuous about Shultz.

Firstly, he was in contract.

Secondly, he wasn't traded for pick 11.
At the time he was traded for Collingwoods first which luckily for the Dockers ended up at 11.

Collingwood have admitted paying overs as he was contracted.

You have a dog in the fight, I understand that.

But if you take out the Richmond and GC supporters out of the equation, the general consensus seem to think pick 6 is overs.
GC supporters agree with the general consensus too

I've told you already.
Comparing previous trades is pointless.
Comparing current trades appears to be pointless as well apparently

Lachie Schulz (OOC) 11 & 34
Taranto (OOC) 12&19
Cerra (OOC) 6 & R3

Rioli - 3 years contract left - 6 and something

It's not that hard to work out.

If he was OOC he'd probably get a mid/late teens pick.

BUT, he's in contract
Schultz was contracted and was an F1 (expected to be pick around 18)
Cerra was traded on his 22nd birthday, Rioli is 27

I'm sure there are some decent comparisons out there for rough value, but these two are terrible.

To be fair, I remember Saad being the best linebreaking defender in the game at the time. Rioli as a non richmond supporter hasn't peaked my interest at all the past 2-3 seasons.
Saad was great right up until his last game at Essendon and we just couldn't convince him to stay.

Hardwick is gifting his old club GC draft pics.

To be fair, I remember Saad being the best linebreaking defender in the game at the time. Rioli as a non richmond supporter hasn't peaked my interest at all the past 2-3 seasons.
Rioli just cantered in a B&F. He is as a good a line breaking half back as any in the game. Unlike Saad who just boots it, Rioli who is almost as fast hits a target nearly every time. He averaged 23 disposals off half back and very few of them are easy sideways possessions. Class player.

Good luck with that.

Would you mind telling this to the Freo fans in the Bolton thread crying, "But-but-but Lachie Neale!"

Rioli just cantered in a B&F. He is as a good a line breaking half back as any in the game. Unlike Saad who just boots it, Rioli who is almost as fast hits a target nearly every time. He averaged 23 disposals off half back and very few of them are easy sideways possessions. Class player.
The stats look good, just giving my qualitative take that I don't notice him as much. Maybe I just watch less non freo games now.

The majority excluding Tiges fans would have a different valuation if it was their clubs player that had 3 years to go on a contract.

Genuinely think this is being deliberately ignored by many.

An out of contract Saad sent for pick 8.

For interests sake (and yes, he's better) what would you want for a 3 yr contracted Nick Blakey?
I meant to reply to this after the GF but was too shitfaced, just remembered when perusing this thread today.

To be honest, IF Blakey wanted to go, I don't think pick 6 (plus maybe sweeteners) would be that far off. As damaging as Blakey can be offensively, he's a really average defender. As I've said for Rioli, those players are very easily replaceable. In fact, I think they're more replaceable than ever. Sydney has too many players that can play that role - Blakey, Florent, Roberts, Lloyd, McInerney, Campbell, heck even Rampe if we had another key defender to cover him. I actually think it's become much harder to find a pure defender than a rebounding half back.

As you said, Blakey is a better player than Rioli. He's 3 years younger and has an All Australian selection to his name. In a hypothetical where we're dealing with Gold Coast, pick 6 + pick 20 would probably be my aim, but if we got less than that, I wouldn't consider it the end of the world for the reasons I mentioned above. Probably wouldn't be popular with Sydney fans, but I just don't think back flankers are that valuable. Really, I'd just want to do better than we did in the Dawson deal - he was OOC but also 3 years younger than Rioli and coming off a season that was IMO better than Rioli's 2024. He was pretty much instantly Adelaide's best player. We got Melbourne's future first which was pick 14.

An example of a Swans player that was contracted (also for 3 years) that requested a trade is Tom Papley. We wanted pick 9 + 25 for him from memory - he was 23, our leading goalkicker and closer to the best player in his position than Rioli is. Carlton weren't willing to pay that and wanted it to be a straight swap for pick 9.

Saad keeps getting brought up but I think it's a poor comparison and people point out that Essendon drafted Nik Cox with pick 8, but I think that just shows that it's a bad comparison. It was the infamous COVID draft where picks held the least value they have in recent times as compared to what is widely regarded one of the strongest drafts ever.

Unlike Saad who just boots it, Rioli who is almost as fast hits a target nearly every time. He averaged 23 disposals off half back and very few of them are easy sideways possessions.
Yeah no, this is wrong.

Saad's disposal efficiency has been better than Rioli's this year in all but one season for his entire career, despite averaging comparable metres gained.

The one season it was lower (2021) it was lower than 1% and he averaged more metres gained than Rioli this year.

Can quite easily hold them to their contracts, instead they're pushing them out and the new CEO even took a parting shot at them at the B&F.

Clearly wanted out for a while, toured Port's rooms a couple of years back and that only fell through due to JHF's trade request.

Source for this?
. . . if we are pushing them out then why would the prez take a parting shot? Doesn’t make sense.

On a side note I thought the new prez taking shots at a group of players that are and always will be a bunch of legends was – classless – clueless – an absolute disgrace – and very damaging to our integrity as a club.

The sooner this clown becomes an ex-president the better IMHO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back