Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it a flawed argument ?
Exact same position a similar player being traded for a similar pick as a comparison.

Compared to a draft pick which has every possibility to be a fail or not play 100 games
I would say less than 50% of 1st round picks would play 100 games and the recruiters that spend years watching and researching them before being drafted would have put the exact same effort in the past as they do now,

Rioli & Saad trade values are a perfect comparison
It’s flawed because it doesn’t suit others arguments of course. Apparently you can’t make comparisons. The majority of opposition posters will let you know a players worth. They know better.
If a club want to pay a premium to pull a contracted player from a club, posters believe they shall have their say on it ;)
Sometimes clubs pay a premium, sometimes they get a player on the cheap.
Did posters blackball those trades because the WB got Treloar cheaply or GWS got Hogan cheaply?
Did those trades go through. Of course they did, clubs dgaf what footy forum posters think of trades.
They do what they believe is right for their club. They pay the price for the player they want, regardless.
If they don’t pay the required price and the player is contracted. He stays.
Just like Papley, Dunkley (to ess) OKeefe and others have stayed

This is what happens when you allow clubs to ransack you for peanuts for years.

Can't help but feel that Richmond have wildly overstepped the mark with this, but I'm also not surprised given GC's recent terrible trading history.

If GC bow to this offer or anything more than pick 6 (ridiculous overs as is) in a super draft, there needs to be an inquiry into their list manager and their Football department.
Yeah, we’ve been begging for this for years and crickets. The AFL are the ones installing these clowns in the first place, so they won’t question it.

All they see is Gold Coast getting elite local talent while the big Melbourne clubs get top picks and elite VIC talent in. As far as they’re concerned, things are working well.

It's a super draft to other clubs. GC pretty obviously just want Lombard in the draft.
The picks are still worth what theyre worth. They could push pick 6 into next year and easily find more suitable assets for Rioli if they wanted.
No point throwing assets away for no reason.
They may have a more suitable trade target next year for example, could be some star on the market

Imma use that house analogy from the post above.

It’s the best way to explain to muppets why there is a premium.

No (sane) person values Rioli at pick 6 if he was OOC or Richmond were pushing him out. 100% agree.

But if Richmond didn’t want to leave, if someone wants “the house” that wasn’t listed, they gots to pay.
Getting overs is one thing but Richmond's requests are ridiculous. Meanwhile, West Coast fans are being told two first rounders that are likely going to land below 15 is too much despite being a better player, playing a position in demand and also being contracted. If someone were to say Barrass was worth pick 6 I would take it and run. Rioli's value is lower than Barrass' value.

Can't help but feel that Richmond have wildly overstepped the mark with this, but I'm also not surprised given GC's recent terrible trading history.

If GC bow to this offer or anything more than pick 6 (ridiculous overs as is) in a super draft, there needs to be an inquiry into their list manager and their Football department.
Just use 6 on Travaglia. That should stir the pot a bit.

Surely we’ve moved past the ‘Richmond aren’t interested in selling’ narrative.

It’s pretty clearly false. The club and the fans are not one single entity.

If they weren’t interested in selling, they wouldn’t be selling.

Richmond aren’t kicking him out, but they see the opportunity he presents.
Yes and if the right price acceptable to Richmond is offered, the deal goes through. Even if it is a premium. No problem
If the price offered is unacceptable to Richmond, Rioli stays . Quite a simple proposition really.

It’s not a case of “if they weren’t interested in selling”. You’d be fool not to listen to any offer from a potential buyer. There was never a “for sale” sign around his neck. It was GC coming to see if they could buy him.
The answer was, “ here’s the price” so it’s ok or “too much”. Ok bye. Daniel stays.

Last edited:
Getting overs is one thing but Richmond's requests are ridiculous. Meanwhile, West Coast fans are being told two first rounders that are likely going to land below 15 is too much despite being a better player, playing a position in demand and also being contracted. If someone were to say Barrass was worth pick 6 I would take it and run. Rioli's value is lower than Barrass' value.
Well I thought you weren’t allowed to make comparisons. But apparently you can now. But when you do you need to compare apples to apples. Just get on the Barass thread and have a grizzle there.
Two different players obviously. Different ages as well. The clubs wanting those players have different draft resources.
Different draft philosophies and list profiles. Barass didn’t live with Mitchell for years, so hasn’t got that bond that Rioli and Hardwick have. If the coach is driving it. I’ve no doubt both parties will get together in good faith.

It wouldn’t come as a surprise to GC what the asking price would be. This hasn’t just happened this week. Talks have been going on well before Trade Week started. Even though some think talks only started on Monday :D

Yes and if the right price acceptable to Richmond is offered, the deal goes through. Even if it is a premium. No problem
If the price offered is unacceptable to Richmond, Rioli stays . Quite a simple proposition really.

It’s not a case of “if they weren’t interested in selling”. You’d be fool not to listen to any offer from a potential buyer. There was never a “for sale” sign around his neck. It was GC coming to see if they could buy him.
The answer was, “ here’s the price” so it’s ok or “too much”. Ok bye. Daniel stays.
But everyone knows Richmond would prefer pick 6 to Rioli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But everyone knows Richmond would prefer pick 6 to Rioli.
Who is “everyone”? Everyone not associated with Richmond you mean. Who hope like hell we won’t get any more than that.

Most Richmond people see pick 6 as the starting point for negotiations. More the meat, now we wait for the gravy. We might get an early 20s pick and give a 40s pick back. Still plenty of time. Most of the trade is done, just need the other little bits to get sorted out.

It’s not an auction. We aren’t bidding at all. We have him contracted for another 3 years.
If the deal does suit us, Daniel stays.

I'm hoping West Coast get 2x1st round picks for Barrass I'm sure they will both get passed on to the Tigers for Baker :thumbsu:

Who is “everyone”? Everyone not associated with Richmond you mean. Who hope like hell we won’t get any more than that.

Most Richmond people see pick 6 as the starting point for negotiations. More the meat, now we wait for the gravy. We might get an early 20s pick and give a 40s pick back. Still plenty of time. Most of the trade is done, just need the other little bits to get sorted out.

It’s not an auction. We aren’t bidding at all. We have him contracted for another 3 years.
So if it’s just Pick 6 does Rioli stay?

The Suns turned pick 4 and some junk into 4x first round academy players and pick 13 this year. Amazing how everyone seems to forget that massive win

Pick 6 for Rioli is a ridiculous trade in isolation but we don’t know the details yet, assuming Richmond hand over late picks for next years draft we could turn pick 6 ( a Victorian mid that we don’t need) and 13 to the Pies for a future first and points into Rioli, Zeke Uwland and Beau Addisal, Leo Lombard and Noble, 2 much needed mature quick HBF, and 3x top 10 picks that are all locals

Out: Pick 6,13, 20, 23 junk from Richmond and or Collingwood, Luko

In: Lombard ( likely top 10), Rioli, Noble, Addisal ( likely top 10 pick 2025), Uwland ( likely top 2 picks 2025),

Port and Collingwoods F1 will cover points for Uwland and Addisal, leaving us with our first next year to sell to the highest bidder

Last edited:
This might turn into the worst trade deal of all time.

He’s your typical solid half back running flanker. There’s 20 similar players around the league and he’s 28 best yesr.

Nothing I wrote was untrue.
Keyboard recruiters, well they are aren’t they? They’re aren’t actual recruiters. So I was accurate with that description.
Minnows. Yes, once again they aren’t big shot actual recruiters. So minnows is quite apt.

Yes they can express their opinions. Opinions aren’t facts are they?
Just as they have a right to express their opinion, so do I.
Food for thought.
If everyone has a right to an opinion, then you have a right to respect and try to find a common ground with their opinion. Otherwise, what point is there engaging?

The deal has to suit both clubs, points next year are what we likely want

I don’t get it.

Noble should be a second rounder max.

Rioli is not worth pick 6 as long as my arse longs to the ground.

They should take 6 to the draft, keep 13 and hope Lombard gets through if not use 13
why do you care so much bro? Its not even your team haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back