Player Watch Darcy Fogarty - Re-Signed to End of 2031

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

haven't read the thread.
I understand Kane is (very predictably) skeptical of this contract.
I don't hate it.
Noah Balta one was ridiculous. Totally on Kane's side with that one. In general, I think long contracts are a bit silly, but Fog? He's a good AFL player. There's every chance he gets better, and little chance he falls off a cliff in the next 5 years imo. We would have been pretty damn happy if we had Fogarty in 2004-2006.
Happy to lock him away. He should be a pretty handy '2nd best' forward for years to come. Hopefully Thilthorpe goes beast mode and makes Fog look even better.

haven't read the thread.
I don't hate it.
Noah Balta one was ridiculous. Totally on Kane's side with that one. In general, I think long contracts are a bit silly, but Fog? He's a good AFL player. There's every chance he gets better, and little chance he falls off a cliff in the next 5 years imo.
Happy to lock him away. He should be a pretty handy '2nd best' forward for years to come. Hopefully Thilthorpe goes beast mode and makes Fog look even better.
I still couldn't give a shit what Kornes thinks!

I'm all for keeping our best players for a while.

haven't read the thread.
I don't hate it.
Noah Balta one was ridiculous. Totally on Kane's side with that one. In general, I think long contracts are a bit silly, but Fog? He's a good AFL player. There's every chance he gets better, and little chance he falls off a cliff in the next 5 years imo. We would have been pretty damn happy if we had Fogarty in 2004-2006.
Unfortunately I have Kane Cornes on ignore

It's funny because I never hear Kane potting Port over giving out long contracts

SSP, JHF and Todd Marshall are all contracted until the end of 2029, Luko until the end of 2030 and Rozee until the end of 2032.
Todd Marshall has a long term contract??

He is one concussion away from retirement.

Hopefully Fogary is on no more than 500k a year. Signing a player past 30 on a long term deal is fraught with danger. Would have offered him a 5 year deal to 2029.

lol theres absolutely no way his manager is allowing him to sign a 500k a year contract.

The club works by offering longer contracts if they player wants less Money.
Take both Soligo and Rochele, they signed longer contracts, when they could have got more money by coming out of contract a couple of years time.
Would you rather give Fog a 4 year deal at 900k, or a 7 year deal at 750k a year?
I completely get this, and every club is doing it, however, we have 9 players contracted to 2028 or longer. In isolation I’d say they are all good moves, but having that many feels like putting all our eggs in the one basket.

The club works by offering longer contracts if they player wants less Money.
Take both Soligo and Rochele, they signed longer contracts, when they could have got more money by coming out of contract a couple of years time.
Would you rather give Fog a 4 year deal at 900k, or a 7 year deal at 750k a year?

I think the Soligo and Rochele contracts were more to front end the contracts due to space in the salary cap. Will never know.

Either way I am happy with Fogerty contract. I think it's too long long but that's what the market demands. The longer you leave it the more chance another club comes with some ridiculous offer.

Also I think key forwards are a bit different. They take years to develop. We lose Fog and we spend the next five years developing someone else or we pay way overs to get someone from another club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forwards are the hardest players to find.

It’s the reason Collingwood has been on the look out for years, Sydney splash out crazy offers every 5 years, why Port hasn’t won a GF with their list… even why Crows couldn’t win in 05/06.

It just seems midfielders are hard to find because we haven’t been able to find one for the last 7 years (but that’s more on drafting).

With Thilthorpe and Fogarty secured, our forward line is set for the next 6 years at least.

We actually have a decent forward line and back line now. Dawson and Rankine in the centre is a good start. We just need that genuine A+ star in the midfield (hopefully pick 4!) and decent ruck and I think we can compete.

Seeing Todd Marshall is contracted to Power until 2029 makes Fog's contract a bargain.
That contract for Marshall will be an albatross around their neck for years
And I just cant seeing him improving his game in the future
If he gets medically retired the AFL changed the rules so that not all of his salary counts towards the cap, and the amount decreases over time, so not as big of a deal as it used to be

I completely get this, and every club is doing it, however, we have 9 players contracted to 2028 or longer. In isolation I’d say they are all good moves, but having that many feels like putting all our eggs in the one basket.
Contracted until end of 2031
Darcy Fogarty

Contracted until end of 2030
Isaac Cumming

Contracted until end of 2029
Jake Soligo
Josh Rachele

Contracted until end of 2028
Riley Thilthorpe
Mark Keane (R)
Alex Neal-Bullen
James Peatling

8 players

Of those the only real standout concern is Keane

The rest is our top 2 forward targets - 2 are promising young guns and the other 3 are recent signings

Each has their own concerns but it is where the market is at

And yes this is the Fogarty thread

Glad to have him locked in. Set and forget as the 2nd/3rd Key Forward. Thilthorpe should step up as the 1st. Walker the other tall for 2025, but will likely only play limited games. I'd like to see Nick Murray and Mark Keane given a run forward if one of the above three aren't playing. We will need someone to replace Tex and not so sure Welsh will be the answer. Nick Murray reminds me of Tom McDonald from Melbourne. I think he could play a similar role if Butts/Worrell/Keane can hold down defence.

Yeah I have no problem with this. Fogarty’s gonna be one of our core players for the next half decade, at least, will be one of the best ‘foil’ KPFs the comp - need to have those type of players locked up

You know for sure other clubs will come calling if he’s still unsigned by R1 next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Darcy Fogarty - Re-Signed to End of 2031

Back