Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So why have you got dozens of posts about him in the last few weeks then? Because you think Ned is getting a rough deal on BF?

Same reason you have posted on her 12,000 times. I like talking about the AFC.

I have been critical of FOG over the past two years. Many on here have defended him and provided a long list of excuses as the reasons behind his poor performances.

Last week there should have been zero excuses. He was easily in our worst players against Carlton.

We just saw Fogarty and Gollant play in the same match so we know that actually the Gollant types can't just replace him

I said that right now, Fogarty is not offering anything that those types couldn’t provide and that his place in the team is currently only justified by moments of brilliance.

Round 1
Fogarty: 5 kicks, 4 handballs, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 0.0
Burgess

Round 2
Fogarty: 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 2.2
Burgess: 7 kicks, 2 handballs, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 2.1

Round 3
Fogarty: 7 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 0 tackles, 0.2
Burgess: 9 kicks, 1 handball, 2 marks, 0 tackles, 2.0

Round 4
Fogarty: 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 3 marks, 0 tackles, 2.0
Burgess: 1 kick, 3 handballs, 0 marks, 1 tackle, 0.1

Round 5
Fogarty: 2 kicks, 4 handballs, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 0.0
Gollant: 4 kicks, 1 handball, 0 marks, 2 tackles, 1.0

Look at those numbers and tell me I’m wrong.

Yep I’m sure they would have hit up that spot kick
Let’s just give him a few weeks with our new found game plan before we go too early.
Remember how Tex has looked.

You’ve just confirmed my point. He’s only in the team because of individual moments of brilliance. His overall output is currently very poor.

He’s not keeping anyone worth it out of the side, so keep playing talent.
Form is temporary, class is permanent.
If there was a young bloke in the wings by all means give him a spell.

I’m not saying drop him. I’m saying we need to consider possibly trading him. When Thilthorpe is back he needs to be prioritised as our number one guy. Presumably we bring Welsh in this year, if Tex goes around again and is able to keep Saturday’s form going where does that leave Fog?

I’ve been a massive Fog fan. You can go back through this thread and see that. I can see all the pieces of a key forward on a premiership contender like everyone else.

However, he’s 25. He’s played nearly 100 games and is in his seventh season. 4-5 moments of brilliance is no longer enough. We can’t keep making excuses. He’s either good enough or he isn’t. And if he isn’t then we need to invest our time in to Thilthorpe and Welsh.

I said that right now, Fogarty is not offering anything that those types couldn’t provide and that his place in the team is currently only justified by moments of brilliance.

Round 1
Burgess

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

You’ve just confirmed my point. He’s only in the team because of individual moments of brilliance. His overall output is currently very poor.

I’m not saying drop him. I’m saying we need to consider possibly trading him. When Thilthorpe is back he needs to be prioritised as our number one guy. Presumably we bring Welsh in this year, if Tex goes around again and is able to keep Saturday’s form going where does that leave Fog?

I’ve been a massive Fog fan. You can go back through this thread and see that. I can see all the pieces of a key forward on a premiership contender like everyone else.

However, he’s 25. He’s played nearly 100 games and is in his seventh season. 4-5 moments of brilliance is no longer enough. We can’t keep making excuses. He’s either good enough or he isn’t. And if he isn’t then we need to invest our time in to Thilthorpe and Welsh.
If he’s as bad as people think he is, he’s not going to bring us anything worthwhile.
Fogs time will come when welsh comes along, although Tex’s boots will be hung by the time he’s ready to go.

If he’s as bad as people think he is, he’s not going to bring us anything worthwhile.
Fogs time will come when welsh comes along, although Tex’s boots will be hung by the time he’s ready to go.

I don’t think he’s bad. He’s powerful, athletic and highly skilled

I question if he will ever be a consistent performer. Last year, Thilthorpe did not get the opportunities that he needed because we are invested in Fog If we were offered a pick in the 15-25 range I think it would be worth considering.

Thankfully we have a long term Tex replacement coming through in Welsh.

I hope I'm wrong but feel like TT and Fog will always be teases and never quite be the dominant AA level forwards we hope.

Thankfully we have a long term Tex replacement coming through in Welsh.

I hope I'm wrong but feel like TT and Fog will always be teases and never quite be the dominant AA level forwards we hope.

TT will be.

His numbers are significantly diminished by the limited opportunities he gets. Even then they’re still very solid for someone his age and stage of development.

Round 1
Burgess

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

No doubt he is far from his best right now but is closing the gap between his best and worst. He dropped a few marks on the lead and tried to take one on the chest so he would have had at least 3-4 shots on goal had he marked those and also contributed to the score board indirectly with the high impact possessions, in the past this work rate also goes missing when he isn't marking and kicking goal.

No doubt he is far from his best right now but is closing the gap between his best and worst. He dropped a few marks on the lead and tried to take one on the chest so he would have had at least 3-4 shots on goal had he marked those and also contributed to the score board indirectly with the high impact possessions, in the past this work rate also goes missing when he isn't marking and kicking goal.

Is he?

My feeling is he was starting to do that in the second half of 2022 and first half of 2023 but has regressed again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he?

My feeling is he was starting to do that in the second half of 2022 and first half of 2023 but has regressed again.
I'm sure he had donuts at half time, in the past he probably ended up with donuts for the game so he did work himself into the game when the ball hit the ground since he was still dropping marks, best play was his kick to Cook when the ball bounced between 2 Carlton defenders which continue the come back.

With ball in hand, he is elite - that pass to Cook and earlier on in the game, crashed through a Carlton defender who bounced off him to then setup a goal.

Fogs biggest issue has always just been getting the ball enough, I still think when Tex goes he will really shine. Happy to continue persisting, as Welsh, RT and Fog is a very good forward line.

With ball in hand, he is elite - that pass to Cook and earlier on in the game, crashed through a Carlton defender who bounced off him to then setup a goal.

Fogs biggest issue has always just been getting the ball enough, I still think when Tex goes he will really shine. Happy to continue persisting, as Welsh, RT and Fog is a very good forward line.

I would love to see Fogarty placed at CHF in tex role and tex moved to the goal square.

I don't think Gollant is a Tex or Fog replacement, but felt sorry for him against Carlton. Several times, especially early in the game he found space close to goal and was ignored. Must be frustrating to have that happen when you're trying to establish yourself.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That Rankine one in particular was a massive burn. Lucky Fog barrelled over the Carlton player and got the handball off the Keays for the goal.

Even if he’s not taking marks he needs to use his speed and power and be involved more. Maybe we should start kicking it space for him because his ground ball game is elite he’ll destroy any defender.

Because he was a #1 draft pick and the last time he played a game was barely 21 years old. Their output is pretty similar though.

FOG also has the advantage of consistency. He has played 40 of the last 42 possible games for the Crows. Himmelberg has played 41 games across the past 6 seasons for us.

Percentages are great, but look at the numbers over the past 22 games:

Fog 25 goals
Berg 22 goals

Fogs Marks inside 50 last 22 games - 31
Himmelbergs Marks Inside 50 last 22 games - 19

Fogs Tackles inside 50 - 32
Bergs Tackles inside 50 - 7
*not sure how a key forward tackling inside 50 is a good thing

Fogs Score Involvements - 105
Bergs Score Involvements - 85

You really telling me that if we had to play Himmelberg over FOG's for the past 22 games and lost the 13 marks inside 50, 3 more goals and 20 score involvements it would have had a negative affect on our team? (not to mention Himmelberg gives away less free kicks and helps in the ruck with hitouts).

Just to clarify - I don't want himmelberg in the side.
Honestly, this is just a plain weird take after a good win. You literally showed stats that Fog has played better than Berg in their recent respective 22 games, and you want Berg to replace Fog? 🤪

I also think you’re downplaying the craft of forward involvements, as that is the primary role of a forward, not just simply the goals they kick.

Back