Player Watch Darcy Moore (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron averaged 4.5 goals a game against us in 2023, 5 goals a game in 2022. Only kicked 3 on Friday night so maybe there's merit to changing strategy. But let's blame Moore and take wild guesses as to what McRae might or might not think.
Cameron kicked 3-3 and two misses were easy so it could have been 5
IQ battled on ok but he’s not the ideal matchup
The most dangerous tall forward they had ideally is taken by best key defender .. which can’t happen currently because he can’t be trusted to do the job and so then you get mismatches like this .. you get the feeling the match committee are having to shuffle things around to compensate for his issues

Oh 100% it's not just Moore

Again, he's not actually playing any differently to how he always has

But:

• No Murphy
  • Quaynor down on form
  • Midfield applying almost zero pressure
  • Inconsistency with the back 6 (Dean in and out, Howe forward and back, Frampton forward and back)
  • Cox out (which means one less ruck to drop back and help out)
  • Assistant Coach change

Are all contributing to our defensive woes

I don't think anyone should be blaming Moore alone (is anyone doing this? I haven't checked)
Yep. Good observation re the rucks dropping back which I hadn’t factored in.

Yep. Good observation re the rucks dropping back which I hadn’t factored in.

Yeah this is why I feel not enough people give Cox credit for what he does for us structurally

It's one of the main reasons we play with two rucks.

One of Cox or Cameron drops back to help the defence, but it means we still have a ruckman to give a chop out dump kick out of defence

Now, I know we play to a system and the theory is that it's about the role/system, not the player, but in the end that theory can't apply 100% of the time can it?

Like, it's not like you can make Bobby Hill the chop out dump kick option. It needs to be a ruckman. But right now, we only have one when our system is to play with two.

Steene is young and injured
Begg is young and injured
Smit is brand new and young (and now injured lol)

So injuries are hurting us from a system perspective which is causing a breakdown across the board

But the entire thing is being exacerbated by poor form and lack of effort from the players who are out there.

Unfortunately, as the Captain and "All-Australian Defender" of the biggest club in the game and reigning Premier, Darcy is bearing the brunt of all the criticism.

People on here (small amount) are blaming everyone expect Moore, Roughead is now getting blamed,

Can't make this shit up.
You can't read. No one has said Moore isn't playing poorly. In fact, we've all acknowledged our WHOLE defence is playing poorly.

So maybe, just maybe, the coach of our defence has some responsibility in that too.. either by contributing to it or fixing it.

Does Roughead realise our defence is playing poorly? Has he seem the stats? Heard the criticism? I'd say yes.

What have we seen change? Is it getting better? Worse?

It's not unreasonable to suggest that the coach of our defenders needs to ALSO be accountable for what's going on out there as well as the players.

Unlike you, I'm not blaming ONE person. I think it's a combination of many things.

System falling down. No Murphy. Lack of confidence, synergy, connection. Out of form. Confusion. Injuries. etc etc etc.

You can't read. No one has said Moore isn't playing poorly. In fact, we've all acknowledged our WHOLE defence is playing poorly.

So maybe, just maybe, the coach of our defence has some responsibility in that too.. either by contributing to it or fixing it.

Does Roughead realise our defence is playing poorly? Has he seem the stats? Heard the criticism? I'd say yes.

It's not unreasonable to suggest that the coach of our defenders needs to ALSO be accountable for what's going on out there as well as the players.

Unlike you, I'm not blaming ONE person. I think it's a combination of many things.

System falling down. No Murphy. Lack of confidence, synergy, connection. Out of form. Confusion. Injuries. etc etc etc.

You have tried put blame on everyone but Moore.

I don't understand this.

Posters have called out the posts that have become personal about Moore. Same with the absurd calls to drop him. Who would you replace him with?

Nobody is defending his form. That is imagined by a few luminaries who just want to see an angry lynch mob.
The same lynch mob who think Dean is an A grader :p

the point is Quaynor shouldn’t be the matchup
The coach is forced into these decisions because our biggest name key defender is completely out of form and can’t do these jobs
Actually highlights the flow on effect of Darcy’s liability currently

That your opinion is that Quatnor shouldn’t be the match up doesn’t make that right. Team defence restricting him to less goals than he’s averaged for the last 2 seasons seems to support the opposite.

As I mentioned the other day, I don't think the issue is Moore and his form specifically

I still reckon it's the loss of Murphy

Moore is playing the same way he always has. That's the strange part I don't understand about all the criticism, particularly from the media.

Moore has literally been playing this way the entire time Fly has been coaching. Even in 2022 and 2023 we found ourselves yelling at Moore when going to the games. So many times we noticed him 20m or more off his man, jogging back to defensive 50 etc etc.

Nothing has really changed. The only real difference now is Murphy is gone. He's not there to cover for him anymore.

You constantly hear players in interviews talking about how Murphy was our best "system player". There's tonnes of footage out there of Murphy screaming at Darcy and keeping him in line.

Now how do we fix the issue? Don't know. Again, he's playing the same as he's always played. So maybe the issue is a coaching one where they're not instructing him to play a little differently or they're not trying to find someone to replace Murphy.

I've said before and I'll say again, I'm not opposed to trying him forward and see what Frampton, Dean, Quaynor, Maynard, Noble and Howe can do back there without him.

The 1 real noticeable change is the drop in his marking numbers but I think a lot of that stems from the loss of Murphy as well. Murphy used to do to the opposition players what the opposition players are now doing to Moore in terms of restricting/impeding access to the marking contest. I think that’s why his spoil numbers are up and marks down. Just not getting as good a run at those contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time our defence wasn’t being swamped due opposition midfield dominance?
Agree! So many factors should be taken into account but nah, just single out one.
Moore is less?

Cameron kicked 3-3 and two misses were easy so it could have been 5
IQ battled on ok but he’s not the ideal matchup
The most dangerous tall forward they had ideally is taken by best key defender .. which can’t happen currently because he can’t be trusted to do the job and so then you get mismatches like this .. you get the feeling the match committee are having to shuffle things around to compensate for his issues

Cameron kicked points against us in 2023 & 2022. His averages in those years could easily have been much higher. It’s a silly argument you’re trying to make. Fact is he kicked 3. End of story. I’ll leave it there.

The issue is Moore quite often finds himself in no man’s land and his opponent with a ton of space.
This sets off a chain of easy entries, or uncontested marks inside 50.
He is the main creator of our defensive fall down.
I honestly can’t believe how bad he’s playing, it’s like he is in his first year of footy learning the craft.

Personally I think Darcy is trying to do to much. As Captain he’s trying to lead by example.
And as the backline General, he’s attempting to hold the line having lost his best Lieutenant, with another injured or redeployed.
Replacing them with inexperienced Privates not upto the task.

If we actually think he’s not aware that he’s struggling , and that it’s simply a case of a proverbial kick in the pants - then I’d say we are insulting his intelligence, and completely devaluing the qualities that made him Captain.

I thought it was a weird match up too but if you asked me before the game if I would take Cameron being restricted to 3-4 goals I would’ve snatched that deal up.

It’s hard to keep someone like Cameron to 1-2 goals. He’s a gun.

The issue is Moore quite often finds himself in no man’s land and his opponent with a ton of space.
This sets off a chain of easy entries, or uncontested marks inside 50.
He is the main creator of our defensive fall down.
I honestly can’t believe how bad he’s playing, it’s like he is in his first year of footy learning the craft.
That's what stuns me. Some of the footage they have shown of Darcy wandering about in no man's land looking lost and confused is very disconcerting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Darcy Moore (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back