David Koch - The Chairman of the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't sure where to put this post but seeing as it falls under David Koch's tenure as chairman, then it should probably sit here.

Article about Chad Wingard and his experiences with racism in AFL.

The second paragraph struck me as being very pointed:

Now this was Chad's 2nd or 3rd season according to the article. At this time we had a well established indigenous affairs person in Paul VB and touted our credentials in attracting and nurturing indigenous talent, on top of a raft of community level initiatives to support the indigenous communities of SA. It beggars belief that we would be so dismissive of Wingard's concerns.

If this is true, what it says about our club's leadership, then and now, is that we are weak willed and unwilling to make a stand or to make waves. Which fits with a number of other issues around the club over the past decade. That's entirely down to leadership.

We exist to make sure the pot doesn't get stirred.
If true, it's just another reason why Koch has to go. We'll never get our club back until he's gone.

Wasn't sure where to put this post but seeing as it falls under David Koch's tenure as chairman, then it should probably sit here.

Now this was Chad's 2nd or 3rd season according to the article. At this time we had a well established indigenous affairs person in Paul VB and touted our credentials in attracting and nurturing indigenous talent, on top of a raft of community level initiatives to support the indigenous communities of SA. It beggars belief that we would be so dismissive of Wingard's concerns.

If this is true, what it says about our club's leadership, then and now, is that we are weak willed and unwilling to make a stand or to make waves. Which fits with a number of other issues around the club over the past decade. That's entirely down to leadership.

I would be surprised if that was Paul's response. It would have to be someone further up the hierarchy, wouldn't it?

Regardless, you're right, that this happened and the club decided to not stand up for one of its players in this situation condemns everyone involved in the decision.

One of our own supporters going after Wingard on Instagram with racist comments!? That doesn’t make any sense whatsoever! It’s beyond stupid…

Moreover, what pot would we’ve stirred? Unless the people who made the comments were well-known or well-related, I don’t see a reason at all to avoid dealing with the issue.

There is something either wrong or missing in this story.

One of our own supporters going after Wingard on Instagram with racist comments!? That doesn’t make any sense whatsoever! It’s beyond stupid…

Moreover, what pot would we’ve stirred? Unless the people who made the comments were well-known or well-related, I don’t see a reason at all to avoid dealing with the issue.

There is something either wrong or missing in this story.
He doesn't say it was one of our supporters. We have a rival club famous for enabling racism - highly likely one of their delightful supporters was the culprit

He doesn't say it was one of our supporters. We have a rival club famous for enabling racism - highly likely one of their delightful supporters was the culprit

So, we didn’t want to stir THEIR pot?! 👀

I would be surprised if that was Paul's response. It would have to be someone further up the hierarchy, wouldn't it?

I agree. In fact I found this via Paul's LinkedIn feed. He'd commented on Chad's post.

Regardless, you're right, that this happened and the club decided to not stand up for one of its players in this situation condemns everyone involved in the decision.

Certainly doesn't live up to the "making our community prouderer" mantra.

Agree. That was my first thought when I read it, that I would be amazed if Paul had been prepared to let it go. I'd bet money he would have backed Chad all the way if it was up to him.

Chad was drafted November 2011. So his second season was 2013, He made all Oz side. His 3rd season was 2014.

Peter Rohde was Footy Ops GM until December 2014, with CD appointed in August and spent 3 months being "trained" by Rohde.

You would think Rohde was the person who said don't stir the pot unless it was taken to KT. Pauly V probably wasn't consulted because it was more than just racial abuse that was happening on twitter to AFL players. It might have even been a directive from the AFLPA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next up on the lessons from legends crony racket. Nothing beats unsolicited advice from a TV journalist and an Event Emcee on how to keep your business afloat in troubling times.

Koch is a pompous flowery football dunce but the reasons for him to be removed as chairman are: he's been there longer than a decade, we have more debt, and the club has not made a GF and won a flag.

Imo he's got to be removed by coercion. He's not stepping down by his own accord. He's pushing to be a chairman of a premiership club with Hinkley being the coach like it's some pledge by blood. He will continue along this pathway for as long as it takes or the bottom falls out from the club.

Drastic measures is the only way Koch is removed but no persons of significance are doing much about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

David Koch - The Chairman of the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back