David Koch - The Chairman of the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Two blokes named `Bruce Abernethy' and `David Hynes' also received the AM for 2024, but they aren't genuine Port Adelaide people either so kockhead is on the right list.
But at least the 2 you mentioned were esteemed in their fields of expertise (health and baseball), which puts them light years of the K-meister.

And does Kock actually even know what the footy club does, and how it operates, despite being there on odd occasions? Maybe needs to take his own advice and learn about his own club first.

When he eventually goes I hope the statement from the club is:

"We'd like to thank Mr Koch for his contribution to the Port Adelaide Football Club"

rather than:

"We thank David Koch for his contribution to the Port Adelaide Football Club"

i hope its a eulogy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So across his tenure, what has changed at PAFC?

• Are we financially sustainable?
  • Are we out of debt?
  • Are we able to compete with the Eagles, Pies etc in club spending on coaches, staff etc?
  • Have we built a brand?
  • Are our facilities the best they can be?

I guess this can be best summarised by asking, what has Koch done to ensure we won’t be back in exactly the same place as 2008-2012?

• Are we out of debt?
  • Are we able to compete with the Eagles, Pies etc in club spending on coaches, staff etc?
  • Have we built a brand?

I guess this can be best summarised by asking, what has Koch done to ensure we won’t be back in exactly the same place as 2008-2012?

The AFL should have given him North Melbourne, not PAFC.

• Are we out of debt?
  • Have we built a brand?

Financially the Club has never been in a stronger position than it is now.

Record levels of revenue, half a dozen million dollar PA sponsors, no debt with the AFL and very little debt on the books in general (will be cleared in the next 2 years). The footy department has all the necessary financial resources to compete with the top Clubs. Facility wise, they've just built their new high performance centre, have announced a redevelopment of the Bowls Club (in addition to other developments at Alberton), and their long term vision to build a retail/medical hub between Alberton Oval and Port road will make the Club recession proof.

Koch deserves criticism for his oversight of the footy department. But he has done a ton right when it comes to the off-field ventures.

Record levels of revenue, half a dozen million dollar PA sponsors, no debt with the AFL and very little debt on the books in general (will be cleared in the next 2 years). The footy department has all the necessary financial resources to compete with the top Clubs. Facility wise, they've just built their new high performance centre, have announced a redevelopment of the Bowls Club (in addition to other developments at Alberton), and their long term vision to build a retail/medical hub between Alberton Oval and Port road will make the Club recession proof.

Koch deserves criticism for his oversight of the footy department. But he has done a ton right when it comes to the off-field ventures.
I think Koch is a bellend but I do agree with this.

However the obsession of no debt is so risk adverse for a business this size that it’s unhealthy.

Some debt is fine to increase our returns

I think Koch is a bellend but I do agree with this.

However the obsession of no debt is so risk adverse for a business this size that it’s unhealthy.

Some debt is fine to increase our returns

I think you'll find the debt will increase with the new developments. The big one however was to reduce all debt directly tied to the AFL to ensure they were no longer beholden to the league.

There's also the matter of working through political games to get government funding - which requires things to look a certain way on paper to justify government expenditure.

to ensure they were no longer beholden to the league.

So the austerity mode was driven by AFL?

Would explain the hypocritical, and weirdly obvious, media approach to Hinkley and Port Adelaide supporters' 'unrealistic' expectations.

Sounds like a football club that got everything right apart from football.

Like a restaurant with beautiful decor, a stunning view, top class service and bad food.

I think you'll find the debt will increase with the new developments. The big one however was to reduce all debt directly tied to the AFL to ensure they were no longer beholden to the league.

There's also the matter of working through political games to get government funding - which requires things to look a certain way on paper to justify government expenditure.
So we want to remove the AFL debt so that don’t “own” us, but we have no
Interest in being a member solely board, rather than AFL decided board!
🤔

Keeping Hinkley was somehow an AFL directive to remain prudent with our spending? Bar COVID, this guy's reputedly been on close to a mil per year. wtaf.

Not just him but the team of assistants around him. A new coach would demand more.

My question for this was Koch and his business skills the main reason for our financial turn around or was it just that he happened to be in the drivers seat when we moved to Adelaide Oval and got a better deal. There is also the general increase in revenue overall in the AFL. And then was he a major player is securing good sponsorship dollars or was it other people who did the hard work?

Basically I want to know how much Koch's monetary skills and connections to big business actually helped our financial position.

I am happy to give praise where praise is due but you hear the China stories where he Koch sounds like a dilletante and detrimental to the process even though there were successes possibly in spite of his arrogance.

I just want to know the full story because his on field administration has been beyond terrible but it would be a type of saving grace if he was the main reason we are back as a club financially.

Remove this Banner Ad

David Koch - The Chairman of the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back