Toast David Mundy will retire at the end of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Duffield on his pod today and Caro last night on Footy Classified hinted the Lyon/Mundy/Captaincy gate. (Lyon weeks ago when talking about regrets in footy talked about this as his biggest regret at Freo)

We never got the full story and I don’t think many people know this. This is what I know, feel free to add to it if you know more.

So leading up to the captaincy vote when Pav gave it up, Lyon spent a lot of time trying to convince the playing group to vote for Fyfe instead of Mundy. It didn’t work, Mundy was voted captain and Lyon wanted to do the vote again but the players refused. The following year Mundy was told not to put his hand up for the captaincy and the players “voted” for Fyfe instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad week for WA footy. I will always have the upmost respect for this guy, wears his heart on his sleeves and bleeds for the Fremantle football club. I hope he gets a good run into September for a fitting send off🤝

If Clarkson coaches there I wouldn’t have thought it would happen. Clarkson got rid of Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell & Birchall so he could free up list spots to rebuild, he’s not going to bring in a 38 year old.
Hodge was still 33 when he played his first game for Brisbane. It's a stupid suggestion.

It wouldn't happen but I would have nothing but positive thoughts if he went down that route. He owes us nothing. It would be bloody weird though seeing him play against Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark Duffield on his pod today and Caro last night on Footy Classified hinted the Lyon/Mundy/Captaincy gate. (Lyon weeks ago when talking about regrets in footy talked about this as his biggest regret at Freo)

We never got the full story and I don’t think many people know this. This is what I know, feel free to add to it if you know more.

So leading up to the captaincy vote when Pav gave it up, Lyon spent a lot of time trying to convince the playing group to vote for Fyfe instead of Mundy. It didn’t work, Mundy was voted captain and Lyon wanted to do the vote again but the players refused. The following year Mundy was told not to put his hand up for the captaincy and the players “voted” for Fyfe instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be honest both Fyfe and Mundy aren’t captaincy material. Great players but hardly natural leaders. Feel like Fyfe was just voted die to being the best player.
See Brayshaw and Serong. Definite captains.

I do think there are different kinds of leaders - Dave is a quiet one who sets standards by behaviour, is collaborative, a good communicator, selfless, and also capable of doing inspirational things on field. I think he’s perceived externally as not being captain material because he’s an introvert, but internally his leadership is clearly valued, having been in the group consistently for a very long time.

Some fun trivia.

2007 Fremantle played the Western Bulldogs and both Luke Darcy and Scott West played. In the Robodog retro guernsey.

This week it’s Sam Darcy and Rhylee West. I’m the Robodog retro guernsey.

Absolute stud of a bloke and a class act. If it weren’t for one M Pavlich he’d be my favourite ever Docker. Good luck this weekend guys (but not too much).

Some fun trivia.

2007 Fremantle played the Western Bulldogs and both Luke Darcy and Scott West played. In the Robodog retro guernsey.

This week it’s Sam Darcy and Rhylee West. I’m the Robodog retro guernsey.

Absolute stud of a bloke and a class act. If it weren’t for one M Pavlich he’d be my favourite ever Docker. Good luck this weekend guys (but not too much).
And David Mundy will have played in both games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast David Mundy will retire at the end of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back