Dawes in for L Brown?

Remove this Banner Ad

All the talk regarding structure is true - to a degree - but don't think Malthouse isn't aware of the various possibilities people here have offered up. It comes down to him not wanting to reveal his gameplan against Geelong/St Kilda until September. Having said that, we'll beat Geelong next time we play them, then again if we meet them in the finals.

Quote from My Man Dawes
Also time for L Brown to become L Brown again.

Why are you dead set against Leigh Brown getting a game, No one here is claiming he is the next big thing, but he does produce, at times, when we need him.

But you just can't let go of the fact that your man Dawes is being replaced.

Good on Brown for earning his spot in the team and doing enough to keep it. He may not have the best skills in the team, but at least you know what you are going to get from the anvil and that is heart.

If he can't remain consistent then fair enough, but give him his kudos when there due, don't just wait for him to fall and stick it in.

After watching the game on the weekend i think Leroy needs to stay. He provides a contest and played pretty well i thought. His kicking has improved as well

So do I, my post is merely a 'best case scenario' situation, that assumes Dawes has developed further.

The thing about Leroy is that even when he is down, he still provides a presence around the footy and helps out his teammates with his physicality.

I also feel that some of his best games have been against good opposition, and he tends to go missing when we pump sides by 10 goals - almost the opposite od a downhill skier.

If he keeps kicking straight, I'm happy for him to stay for sure. He could have taken the game away from Geelong in Round 3 last year, if not for innacurate kicking and he had a few other games where he got plenty of footy and won some contests, but kept missing.

He redeemed himself against the Crows though!

Quote from My Man Dawes
Also time for L Brown to become L Brown again.

Why are you dead set against Leigh Brown getting a game, No one here is claiming he is the next big thing, but he does produce, at times, when we need him.

But you just can't let go of the fact that your man Dawes is being replaced.

Good on Brown for earning his spot in the team and doing enough to keep it. He may not have the best skills in the team, but at least you know what you are going to get from the anvil and that is heart.

If he can't remain consistent then fair enough, but give him his kudos when there due, don't just wait for him to fall and stick it in.

I do not resent L Brown getting a game, and I said that he has first call on the forward post this week. 2 great VFL games in which he also straightened up his kicking for goal could not be ignored after 2 ordinary games from Dawes.

Dawes would look more accomplished if he were used solely as a linkman where his overhead marking was not such an issue. I would prefer to be at FF receiving a kick from Dawes than from Cloke.

I agree with the poster who praised the healthy competition that has occurred for the KPF post. I have nothing against Brown other than past history, but would be over the moon if he broke with tradition and made the spot his own.

Like Presti and N Brown, our opposition may be the ultimate decider between the 2 players. The players' form is the other obvious factor and at the moment L Brown is ahead of Dawes in this area. Our aim is to win a premiership rather than develop players, though there's an obvious relationship between the two.

It's amazing that Anthony can effectively go from being our leading goalkicker with 50 goals last year, to 4th in line for a key forward post.

I wouldn't blame him at all for considering a move to the GC if they come knocking. Would be interesting to see the compensation.

In my ideal world our forward setup would resemble something like this.

Cloke, Dawes, Davis, Medhurst + resting ruck + rotating mid (Didak, Sidebottom, Thomas)

Structured with Cloke close to goal and Dawes roaming high, and vice-versa. If Fraser is the resting ruckman, he plays high and links all the way up to the wing, if it's Jolly, he plays deep. Davis aplays almost exclusively close to goal at the feet of Dawes/Cloke/Jolly. Medhurst plays his duel role of lead up forward and crumber, as well as assisting Davis with ground level pressure.

The rotating mid then fills the role of crumber and tackler as well.

This plan is let down by a few things:

1. Dawes aerial skills not up to playing deep or high, but I have high hopes.
2. Medhurst and Davis not being 100% fit
3. Fraser not yet settled or 100% fit, thus not allowing him to play the high linking role

I think at least 2 of the above 3 problems can be solved over the course of the season, and I also think the tactic of bombing it long when under pressure (Harry O and Johnno!) could actually see some benefit from a structure like this.

Unfortunately, the world isn't perfect. Medhurst, Davis and Fraser are not fit, and Dawes has unreliable hands and limited presence.
As Matthew Lloyd said on SEN, there is no such thing as a resting player up forward these days. The forwards are up as far as the HB line if the ball in in the opposition 50. That's not exactly resting if you have to cover 2/3rds of the ground is it?

By resting, I mean 'not rucking' or 'not in the midfield'

Obivously they are still on the ground and required to run!

Going forward is a structural change, they still ruck if in the area and zone or press and the ball is closer to them, they definitely dont 'rest'.

Resting these days is rotating thru the bench.

It's amazing that Anthony can effectively go from being our leading goalkicker with 50 goals last year, to 4th in line for a key forward post.

I wouldn't blame him at all for considering a move to the GC if they come knocking. Would be interesting to see the compensation.
I agree it's been an amazing turnaround.

Unfortunately the compensation would not be brilliant. Draft position in his case is irrelevant, because he has been in the system too long for them to factor it in. I don't recall his B & F position, because that and his age would be the only things working in his favour; he wouldn't be very high on the pay scale on his current contract. I'd be suprised if we received better than a 3rd round pick for him under the proposed compensation system. :(

Ideally, he'd continue playing for us of course, because he is a talented player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawes in for L Brown?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back