Dawes

Remove this Banner Ad

Good move to pickup Hogan, will be a star, Dawes IMO is a one trick pony not capable at the highest level. I'm guessing he will be the new whipping boy in 2013 and with a big 3 year contract this won't turn out well for both parties. Hope for your clubs sake the Dawes knockers are wrong but personally I think this is a terrible move by the MFC.

Good pick up guys. You need players who can play a role, show leadership and know what's required at the highest level. He'll compete day in, day out and his best is pretty good as shown in 2010 and the first half of 2011. Any chance of him being captain next year? From what I heard he was pinned down as a future leader at Collingwood and it might be better to take some of the heat off Grimes and Trengrove for a couple more years.

No you haven't because it's confirmed that at least 4 clubs have offered him 500K over the last 12 months setting the market and you simply wouldn't be in the race if you were offering less.. it's not like you have a premiership window to entice him with.. although I can see one in 3 years if he signs a 2nd contract with you I doubt he's looking that far ahead when weighing up options

$500K between all 4 clubs, Not $500K Each... silly man. :p

BTW - How cool we got Dawes!

"The Demons landed Dawes and selection No.58 after exchanging picks No.20 and No.45 to the Magpies."

Dear Mark Neeld,
I have been patient, although like many other Dees supporters, am tired and emotional at the lack of competitiveness at the MFC.
Drafting Dawes is either genius, or you should fall on your sword by R5 next season. To draft a player that other clubs shun, or his current club is laughing at us by giving up a first round draft pick, you must have a genuine insight into why Dawes was terrible in 2012. He couldnt catch a cold in Alaska without clothes on. I sincerley hope you turn him around.
If your theory is to leave Dawes in the square to compete and have the fowards at his feet, I understand. If your gameplan still has 18 players push into defence with no-one to kick to, I will be asking for your resignation very early.
You have made some tough calls, and this is to be commended, but many of my fellow passionate Dees supporters are questioning your intentions and logic in this instance.
I was prepared to give up a used bandaid and half eaten week old souva for Dawes, but you have given him a payrise and used a first round pick.
Lets hope you have luck on your side.
Harvey

Nope, I think your by yourself there buddy.

And to call for sacking a coach in his 2nd year, is that you Kingy?

Nope, I think your by yourself there buddy.

And to call for sacking a coach in his 2nd year, is that you Kingy?

We are far too accomodating as a football club. Neeld on the right track moving Moloney, Green on etc, but to pick up a player that seriously, was worse than woeful in 2012, has the alarm bells sounding.
I hope I'm wrong, but can't see it unless Dawes form takes a miraculous u-turn.

Dawes and Byrnes focal points of out 2013 attack????

Wowee.

Good pick up guys. You need players who can play a role, show leadership and know what's required at the highest level. He'll compete day in, day out and his best is pretty good as shown in 2010 and the first half of 2011. Any chance of him being captain next year? From what I heard he was pinned down as a future leader at Collingwood and it might be better to take some of the heat off Grimes and Trengrove for a couple more years.

Absolutely NO CHANCE!!! Even if we were looking at replacing the Jacks, Then I'd suspect that Jonesy would get the nod instantly with Mitch Clarke right behind in a VC role. There is no chance that Dawes would be captain - not even in 5 years time. I'd also like to add that my views aren't based on Dawes being a flog - I don't think he is and I'm happy we have him now, I just think there's others on our list that would 1, be a better captain, 2, Do a better job, and 3, actually deserve it.

Leave Dawes alone to play his footy and be an onfield leader.

No chance of him being captain. I can't tell if you're taking the piss or not, but Grimes and Trenners are good leaders, sure they're still finding their feet but they'll only get better from the experience, if they couldn't handle the pressures of leadership they wouldn't be leaders. The best Dawes could hope for would be a spot in the leadership group. And I can only see that happening if Rivers leaves.

We are far too accomodating as a football club. Neeld on the right track moving Moloney, Green on etc, but to pick up a player that seriously, was worse than woeful in 2012, has the alarm bells sounding.

Wowee.
Mark Thompson/Geelong.
Mick Malthouse.

Both took a decade in charge. You're suggesting to **** Neeld off after 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark Thompson/Geelong.
Mick Malthouse.

Both took a decade in charge. You're suggesting to **** Neeld off after 2 years.
No he's suggesting that we f### Neeld off after 1 season + 5 games.

We should have a "Denham Award" for the most negative poster. The runner-up will receive the "David King Crown". Club house leader is The Boss followed by HWB.

I think the people bagging the trade are the people with serious short vision. Neeld knows more than any keyboard warriors out there.

However you are wrong that Dawes turned Carlton down. Carlton were never interested in Dawes. It was only guesses by the media that linked Carlton looking for a KPF and Malthouse to Carlton after Dawes.

Am I wrong? how are we to know that Carlton didn't show interest in Dawes?

No he's suggesting that we f### Neeld off after 1 season + 5 games.

We should have a "Denham Award" for the most negative poster. The runner-up will receive the "David King Crown". Club house leader is The Boss followed by HWB.

If Dawes fails, like he did for the entire 2012 season, then Neeld should go. Lets face it, our recruitment has been terrible with multitudes of high draft picks and we still sit near the bottom of the ladder - lucky for 2 expansion teams!

It defies logic that we are trying to improve, then we recruit other teams spuds.

Essendon recuit Goddard, Melbourne recruit Dawers and Byrnes. Spot the difference?

The highlight real that Melborne put up for Dawes is not in my opinion the greatest. There seems to be a lot of waiting outside the pack to get retrievals and convert to goals. Is Dawes a strong Mark ? He wil make a good pocket player.
I hope Dawes is a good addition ~ though time will tell how the forward combination is going work / gell.
The best forward combinations over history show that you need the 'king pin' and the slippery pocket players.
Look at combo's like : Reiwaldt/Milne - Franklin/Rioli - Cloke/Krakouer - Waite/Betts - Goodes/Getta
IMHO I think Brad Green was Melbourne's best pocket player ever - though he was over utilised in the end because Melbourne did not have the depth up forward.
Melbourne's combo may be Clarke/Dawes ?? Don't know if it is going to work ~ can't exactly nail it - wait and see I guess.
I am very excited about Jesse Hogan _ My daughter went to school with him and he is a good lad - get him devoted and he will be a star.

Wowee.

It was said that Mitch was a wasted pick up aswell...not worth the money they said! These same people now cant get enough of him, I would suggest having a little faith in Neeld and co and sitting on your hands until next season when we can see his plan unfold...

It was said that Mitch was a wasted pick up aswell...not worth the money they said! These same people now cant get enough of him, I would suggest having a little faith in Neeld and co and sitting on your hands until next season when we can see his plan unfold...

Like the past 7 years?

Mitch has played a handful of games - dont get too excited. Yes he was fantastic for us but has the same injury as trent Croad I'm led to believe...............

Why have we recruited other teams duds?

I cant ever remember a trade period like this for the Demons, i now have some real belief in Neeld & co that this is going to go somewhere, strap yourselves in gang, the rollercoaster is about to leave the station.
Welcolm Dawesy- masterstroke- and you dont think that Clarkey would have been happy last night, at last some support with grunt in the forward half.

BRING ON ROUND 1, Dont care where we play i will be there.

Wowee.

We also have this guy called Mitch Clark.

He is kind of a big deal around hear.

It defies logic that we are trying to improve, then we recruit other teams spuds.

Essendon recuit Goddard, Melbourne recruit Dawers and Byrnes. Spot the difference?

We will have to take the potato peeler to him them to get the stench of Black and White off him then. ;)

We have recruited Dawes and Byrnes to help fill the glaring weaknesses in our forward line, that the players on our list are either a) not good enough to fill or b) dont have the desired work rate to implement. I have no idea why Essendon recruited Goddard and I really dont care. Maybe it is to help out Jobe Watson in the midfield or maybe he was recruited to change Fletchers catheter bag.

The hysteria on the main board is incredible. People acting as if we've given picks 3, 4 and 20 with Trengove thrown in for good measure.

Dawes will be great for us. Just keep him out of the ruck.

Yeah i stopped reading the Dawes threads of the first page.....

People love digging into us lately, Hated us getting Viney on the cheap, then dug in about Hogan, now Dawes is just the icing on their Cake.

Harrington talks about "Net Gains" imo picks 3-13-26 for Viney Hogan and Dawes is good drafting in that order of what we paid in NET terms, plus a freeby in our boy Barry

edit - and Paying pick 26 for Dawes as i see it is about on the money

I guess you are all waiting with baited breath to hear BigSexc's view on the Dawes trade as IMO i have been the most accurate and analytically correct in predicting, explaining and 'forensically' analysing the Dees moves in the trade/FA period thus far.

Here it is:

My first point is i am very happy that we landed Dawes, i believe he can be a good role player for us next year and if he can average 1.5ish goals for us as well as take a good defender it will be a win for US (not necessarily a loss for Collingwood - as they are the big winners either way, which i will expand on later).

I believe a number of factors contributed to Dawes' bad year, his relationship with Bucks after being told to play out of position (even 20%ish of game time out of position can upset your rhythm as a player, rarely can full time FWDs play the RUCK/FWD role well) and also his hand injury last year may have caused a lack of confidence.

Dawes has been dishonored by Collingwood, make no mistake in that. He stayed with them for WAY unders when he signed his last contract with them.
Dawes will come out next year like a scorned wife whose abusive husband (Bucks) isnt their to play her out of position anymore and as a result Dawes pull out the mini skirt, cake on the make up and **** IT UP for us next year as he has something to prove. Those legs will be spread wide open and spilling out will be the juices of leadership, passion and hard work of which our players will hopefully absorb either orally or via osmosis and stand taller as a result.

My second point is that YES, i believe we paid overs for Dawes, a player that is dropped from a finals bound team in the late rounds and is being pushed out by that same club is NOT worth a first round pick let alone and late swap as well HOWEVER due our need for another forward and clubs like WB and GWS (to an extent) pushing his value up thats what we had to pay. As we don't have a proper recruiter i think its good move to get rid of some of our picks for proven players.

For teams like Collingwood and Geelong who have good recruitment teams and good development systems picks from 11-40 are absolute GOLD. They can turn them into anything.

Thus this leads me to my last point, that Collingwood are the massive winners, not only out of this trade but the whole FA/Trade period:

That lose absolutely nothing to their current structure yet bring in 2 extra first round picks. With these picks Collingwood will strike gold i have no doubt. Last time they had picks in the top 30 they picked up Beams and Sidebottom. This will be a mini top up for them, i would envy them as a club if their supporters werent so one-eyed and ugly.

There you have it demon friends, put aside your own false and biased opinions and use mine. Talk to your friends, your family, re-post it on internet forums claiming it to be yours, i give you my permission.

Enjoy.

Dawes has been dishonored by Collingwood, make no mistake in that. He stayed with them for WAY unders when he signed his last contract with them.
Dawes will come out next year like a scorned wife whose abusive husband (Bucks) isnt their to play her out of position anymore and as a result Dawes pull out the mini skirt, cake on the make up and **** IT UP for us next year as he has something to prove. Those legs will be spread wide open and spilling out will be the juices of leadership, passion and hard work of which our players will hopefully absorb either orally or via osmosis and stand taller as a result.
I feel unclean after reading that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back