Dawes

Remove this Banner Ad

Small Forwards - Byrnes will relish standing under Dawes and Clark (Dawes / Clark / Hogan in 2014). He's pacey, he has reasonable goal sense. He'll snag a few goals with a run through the midfield. Additionally, the recruitment of Barry SHOULD allow Aaron Davey to return to his natural position of defensive forward. No more Hollywooding up the half back / wing - that will be Barry and Bleases role now possibly.

I have very limited knowledge of Barry but from his highlights and from what i have read he seemed to do most of his work across the half back and wing area. I don't think he is a small forward, but maybe he can be given an opportunity to play there much like Blease has this year, edspite being recuited as midfielder.

I have very limited knowledge of Barry but from his highlights and from what i have read he seemed to do most of his work across the half back and wing area. I don't think he is a small forward, but maybe he can be given an opportunity to play there much like Blease has this year, edspite being recuited as midfielder.

Read what I said Saj

"the recruitment of Barry SHOULD allow Aaron Davey to return to his natural position of defensive forward"

Barry playing the HB / Wing role Aaron's played should mean Aaron can return to pure defensive Forward

You guys need another crab running around for your club like you need another Cale Morton.

Wellinghams season next year will be at least 300% better than Dawes, bookmark it.
And you would like to run comparison's between a midfielder and key forward how? Goals? inside 50's?

And you would like to run comparison's between a midfielder and key forward how? Goals? inside 50's?

What, you cant distinguish who has had a better year from two different types of players?

You couldn't tell me who had the better year, Jobe Watson or Chris Dawes?

You can replace Jobe with just about anybody in the comp and the answer would be the same.

Don't want to get into a sh1t fight but what a silly comment to make.

Read what I said Saj

"the recruitment of Barry SHOULD allow Aaron Davey to return to his natural position of defensive forward"

Barry playing the HB / Wing role Aaron's played should mean Aaron can return to pure defensive Forward

I see what your saying now, but Neeld tried that this year with Davey without much success, admittedly Davey was carrying injuries for most of the year.

Just like Sydney. Mattner, Grundy, Shaw, Richards, McGlynn are all, to use your term, "other teams duds". But they fit into the structure of the team, which is what building a team is about.

Byrnes and Dawes were both highly regarded by their former clubs, and bring much needed leadership to the club.

Did you notice that there wasn't a huge number of clubs interested in Goddard? He's a really good footballer, but he doesn't have a defined position, so at $800k pa, he doesn't adddress a need for most clubs.

Gee, some of you blokes have the head in the sand. The Sydney players you have listed all bought into the Swans structure and - hang on I forget - they won the flag in 2012??????

Comparing the Dees with the Swans is like comparing Chris Judd to Cale Morton.

We are that far from a flag it isn't funny. So we recruit a bloke who got 4 games in a team that just made finals, and a bloke that, and I repeat myself, couldn't catch a cold in Alaska with no clothes on in 2012. And we are supposed to be exicted about this???? Where do you think our improvement in 2013 will come from? Granted Grimes, Howe, Clark will provide some spark, but we still have the likes of Dunn, Morton, Bate, McDonald (J) running around that would battle to get a run at GWS!!!!!

I just think its time to stop believing in the fairytale. Our recruitment the last 5 years has been ordinary to say the least, and it will take more that 2 recycled players that were unwanted at their respective clubs to make any difference.

1 decent player CAN make a difference. Ablett (jnr) a jet. Dawes and Byrnes aint quite up to this standard..............................

This is one out of left field, but how would Morton go up forward? Particular now with some big timber down there, he is a good overhead mark and has a huge engine and speed.

Watts could hold down a 3rd tall position in the back line and smash other sides on the rebound as he was starting to show this year.

Just a thought..

My biggest issue with his game has always been the way he second guesses himself and causes clangers. At least in the forward line he'd know where his target is.

Gee, some of you blokes have the head in the sand. The Sydney players you have listed all bought into the Swans structure and - hang on I forget - they won the flag in 2012??????

We are that far from a flag it isn't funny. So we recruit a bloke who got 4 games in a team that just made finals, and a bloke that, and I repeat myself, couldn't catch a cold in Alaska with no clothes on in 2012. And we are supposed to be exicted about this???? Where do you think our improvement in 2013 will come from? Granted Grimes, Howe, Clark will provide some spark, but we still have the likes of Dunn, Morton, Bate, McDonald (J) running around that would battle to get a run at GWS!!!!!

I just think its time to stop believing in the fairytale. Our recruitment the last 5 years has been ordinary to say the least, and it will take more that 2 recycled players that were unwanted at their respective clubs to make any difference.

1 decent player CAN make a difference. Ablett (jnr) a jet. Dawes and Byrnes aint quite up to this standard..............................
seriously why even bother coming on here if your just going to bitch and moan? look at the bigger picture FFS.. both Dawes and Byrnes fill roles that we badly need, and we are also bringing in Viney, hogan, Barry and probably wines.. not every person you pick up is going to be a star, it's as much about finding people to fill needs as it is about just getting guns..
We are structuring a team, and it's starting to look very good.. Dawes will be 24 at the start of next year, yes he had a shit year but he has played great footy in the past, and he's only now coming towards his prime..

seriously why even bother coming on here if your just going to bitch and moan? look at the bigger picture FFS.. both Dawes and Byrnes fill roles that we badly need, and we are also bringing in Viney, hogan, Barry and probably wines.. not every person you pick up is going to be a star, it's as much about finding people to fill needs as it is about just getting guns..
We are structuring a team, and it's starting to look very good.. Dawes will be 24 at the start of next year, yes he had a shit year but he has played great footy in the past, and he's only now coming towards his prime..
Apparently there's no point filling roles unless we fill them with Brownlow medalists. Only once we're about to win a Premiership are we allowed to fill roles with... guys that actually fill roles. Also, immediate success or sack the coach (based on the failures of previous coaches). :confused:

Am I the only one cringing at the thread title? Makes us look mentally challenged by making it look like we landed a star when in reality we got a handy addition.
I think it may have been a little bit tongue in cheek by the OP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee sorry mate, we will just go pick up, Franklin, Watson, Swan, Judd.....have you thought that we actually need players to wants to come to Melbourne, you cant just choose who you want!

And as far as Dunn, Morton, Bate and Mcdonald are concerned, what do you want us to do....cull the list and not field a team? seriously...get a clue and stop whinging!

Here's the highlights from the 2010 GF replay when he was probably the best tall forward on the ground.

He sets up the first 2 Collingwood shots at goal with good vision and tap ons (1:00 and 1:40). Contests 2 on 1 deep forward then wins it on the ground to kick a goal (5:20). Sets up another goal with a big contest on the wing followed by a good handball to Pendlebury (7:15). Leads deep to the pocket and kicks the set shot to finish of the Saints (8:20). Gets an assist to Thomas (8:55).

If he can find that type of form he's worth every bit of pick 20.

Here's the highlights from the 2010 GF replay when he was probably the best tall forward on the ground.

He sets up the first 2 Collingwood shots at goal with good vision and tap ons (1:00 and 1:40). Contests 2 on 1 deep forward then wins it on the ground to kick a goal (5:20). Sets up another goal with a big contest on the wing followed by a good handball to Pendlebury (7:15). Leads deep to the pocket and kicks the set shot to finish of the Saints (8:20). Gets an assist to Thomas (8:55).

If he can find that type of form he's worth every bit of pick 20.

Thanks for posting that. Great to watch, although at the same time sickening watching the Pies win a GF

Rgardless of whether people think this trade period has consisted of astute list management or reckless trading, this period will go a long way to defining the next 5 year period for Melbourne, and the length of Neelds tenure as coach!

Does not reduce the cringe factor though.
The thread title is still a paragon of maturity compared to the crap served up on the AFL board about him this week.

What, you cant distinguish who has had a better year from two different types of players?

You couldn't tell me who had the better year, Jobe Watson or Chris Dawes?

You can replace Jobe with just about anybody in the comp and the answer would be the same.

Don't want to get into a sh1t fight but what a silly comment to make.
Why are you comparing who got the better deal, we needed a big key forward, we got one.. Deal done! If we wanted to use pick 17 on a midfielder we would have went to the draft and got a gem, not picking up Wellingham!

Wouldn't mind seeing it. Give him a run of games there and he could grow into the position. Wouldn't be much chop in a contest/pack situation, but as a lead up target I think it could work. Playing in the one position should help his confidence too, just let him focus on that one role.
I have actually seen him get front a centre a few times and snap goals from a crumbing position. For all his faults he is actually pretty good at reading the play, it is just his execution that kills him.

Dawes has been dishonored by Collingwood, make no mistake in that. He stayed with them for WAY unders when he signed his last contract with them.
Dawes will come out next year like a scorned wife whose abusive husband (Bucks) isnt their to play her out of position anymore and as a result Dawes pull out the mini skirt, cake on the make up and **** IT UP for us next year as he has something to prove. Those legs will be spread wide open and spilling out will be the juices of leadership, passion and hard work of which our players will hopefully absorb either orally or via osmosis and stand taller as a result.

Fifty shades of Dawes?

This metaphor is going places.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back