Death to St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the biggest problems for not only the Saints but all the other teams is that I think Collingwood has quite a lot of improvement left in them, particularly in Dawes and Cloke. It's not hard to imagine them both kicking 50+ goals in 2011. Pies need things to go their way to win another premiership but there are so many players that can still improve.

I agree, Collingwood have at least a dozen players that can improve segnificantly. Players like Sidebottom, Beams, McCaffer, Wellingham, Pendlebery, Thomas, Shaw, Dick, Goldsack, Ried, N.Brown, Toovey, Obrien,and Blair. There are also a few players coming through the VFL team that will push for senior spots either this year or the next, hence why there was such a cleanout at the end of last season.

If they can get Clokes kicking right then there is no reason why he can't kick 60 gaols in a season. If he can do that then Geoff Walsh will be chasing his father about a contract extension unlike what happened at the end of last season.

Didaicos, all that little error means is that I really don't give a toss for St Kilda, and can't even reliably remember the coach's name. But so what? Please try to learn to address the issues raised in a post in a moderate manner.

1) If your going to write something and try and sound half intelligent, I suggest you research the basics, in this case, the extremely basic.
2) I'll leave the moderating to the mods. :D

The Saints need to kick a decent score....they tried the defensive rubbish for 2 years and failed in 2 GF's. Unless they get some firepower up forward to help kick goals they will struggle to win the big one IMO.

Agreed, the defensive rubbish that "is Saints footy" is their downfall, and the lack of forwards was something Leigh Matthews was saying throughout the GF Replay. Shut down Kosi, Milne and Riewoldt (no easy feat), and who kicks the goals?!?!

The Saints need to kick a decent score....they tried the defensive rubbish for 2 years and failed in 2 GF's. Unless they get some firepower up forward to help kick goals they will struggle to win the big one IMO.

Yep, that sums up our problem in a nutshell. Without Riewoldt bringing his A-game it's like if you kill the head, the body dies. Our midfielders then have no leading tall targets, only smalls in milne and schneider. Then our backs can't withstand the constant attacking pressure that is applied and we crumble.

As for premiership windows I think St. Kilda, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs and maybe even an improving Carlton or Fremantle are the only real red hot contenders. Geelong will need time, maybe a year or two, to settle into their new gameplan, but they won't miss the finals IMO.

P.S It's good to see some genuine hate between our two clubs, makes things more interesting i think. ;) Go Saints!!! :D

Yep, that sums up our problem in a nutshell. Without Riewoldt bringing his A-game it's like if you kill the head, the body dies. Our midfielders then have no leading tall targets, only smalls in milne and schneider. Then our backs can't withstand the constant attacking pressure that is applied and we crumble.

As for premiership windows I think St. Kilda, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs and maybe even an improving Carlton or Fremantle are the only real red hot contenders. Geelong will need time, maybe a year or two, to settle into their new gameplan, but they won't miss the finals IMO.

P.S It's good to see some genuine hate between our two clubs, makes things more interesting i think. ;) Go Saints!!! :D

Good to see that your not getting offended like some others and genuinely understand what the Saints lack, my father-in-law is mad saints and said the same thing to me a week or two ago.

I think Hawthorn deserves a mention if your going to rattle out other clubs.

Just for the record I hate every other club for one reason or another, although some clubs have give me more reasons to hate them then others. StKilda is only at a moderate level for me.

Just for the record I hate every other club for one reason or another, although some clubs have give me more reasons to hate them then others. StKilda is only at a moderate level for me.

Agree. I absolutely hate Footscray (WB)!

I'm not too sure about the Hawks, apart from a few standout players I think the club is a little overated not being able to follow their 2008 form for two years now, but I guess only time will tell.

But then you guys did amazingly well when Riewoldt was out with his hammy.

Might there be a counter argument that he makes you too predictable with his presence?

I'm not saying you wouldn't play him, just that being such a star does have the downside of making any team with such a standout player a bit predictable??

But then you guys did amazingly well when Riewoldt was out with his hammy. Might there be a counter argument that he makes you too predictable with his presence?
I actually think it was partly because they were more unpredictable, and partly the soft draw St.Kilda had last season. They won 8 and lost 3 matches without him, but most of them were fairly friendly matches.

I'm not too sure about the Hawks, apart from a few standout players I think the club is a little overated not being able to follow their 2008 form for two years now, but I guess only time will tell.

I think that they struggled to cope with the way the game changed in 2009 as well as maybe thinking it was just going to happen for them.
In 2010 they struggled to get their best team on the park consistently and they do have some obvious deficiencies down back. They also lack genuine HF flankers and lack pace overall.

That being said there is still enough quality in the side to be considered, especially if you’re going to consider sides like Carlton and the Bulldogs.

Without Ablett as a midfielder we made the preliminary in 2004 after a top 4 finish before he was good like he is today.
Seven years ago-
Chapman, Corey, Enright and Hunt were 22yo now 29. Pods will be 29.
Ling will be 30, Ottens and Scarlett 31, and Milburn 34 in April.
With Harley and others retired I don't think your team compares to the one seven years ago. The game is faster and I'm sure they're not and probably more injury prone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But then you guys did amazingly well when Riewoldt was out with his hammy.

Might there be a counter argument that he makes you too predictable with his presence?

I'm not saying you wouldn't play him, just that being such a star does have the downside of making any team with such a standout player a bit predictable??

That's a good point. I've noticed that in the big games other teams usually double and triple team Riewoldt, so he's pretty much useless in those situations. Why don't we then take advantage of the one or two players who then have no one on them. Just use Rooey as someone who could take all the attention off of our other forwards. It is so simple, that's why Gilbert looked good in the first GF, he didn't do too much but without the attention he was effective.

That's a good point. I've noticed that in the big games other teams usually double and triple team Riewoldt, so he's pretty much useless in those situations. Why don't we then take advantage of the one or two players who then have no one on them. Just use Rooey as someone who could take all the attention off of our other forwards. It is so simple, that's why Gilbert looked good in the first GF, he didn't do too much but without the attention he was effective.

Yeah, certainly in GF2 Brown, Shaw and Maxwell were virtually always surrounding him, and time and again when you attacked through him, the ball rebounded back into our attcking area.

When he was out, your attack seemed much more varied and dangerous it seemed.Maybe when he's double, triple teamed play him on the wing a al Richo, attck through the unmarked players...sounds simple, guess with zones etc harder in practice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Death to St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back