Delist, Trade, Draft game

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a lot of delusional people here who think we can add Spangher, Mckinley and co to one of our draft picks and make it a first rounder.

Not going to happen, firstly they are hacks and secondly I think clubs would be crazy to trade away their first round picks this year or the next given the concessions.

I just hope Lynch turns around and says he has signed with GC, but he has come out and said on numerous occasions he hasn't when the others are simply saying they want to wait for seasons end to negotiate their contracts.

I agree if you are talking about Melb based clubs - I disagree if you are referring to GC. If the rumours of who has signed for GC are true they have a bunch of flankers and 1 KPP in Bock. They are going to be in desperate need of AFL experienced bigger bodies and players like Spangher suit this requirement, as well as being age acceptable for them.

Should Spangher want to go to GC, then IMO WC are in with a big chance to package him and #26 or #28 for one of GC's picks in the teens. If it is #15 as I suggested before then this still leaves GC with 8 picks to use prior to #15 - how many kids do you think they will need to go along with the 30 or so they already have ?

If WC could convice Spangher to remain then I would have no hesitation in seeing whether Brown wouldnt mind relocating along with #26 for say #9 - as Brown obviously comes at a premium over Spangher. GC could then trot off to Coll and offer them #17 or so for Mitch's twin, giving them a FB and a CHF for the loss of #9 and #17 and gaining #26 which could be used for another fringe player from a top team like an Armitage. Win for all concerned I would think.

By the way, I was talking to a mate last night based in Melb who has a brother still playing at this particular club. Apparently WC have made no secret they are EXTREMELY interested in an out of contract former #3 draft pick with a namesake also wanting to return to Perth. Perhaps this is where #4 may be offered.

Have the AFL decided what pick GC would have to give Geelong if Ablett signs with them.
I remember reading it had to be fair value. So for a 25yr old two-time premiership player, brownlow medalist, all australian midfielder i would value Ablett at being worth a anywhere from pick 1 to 5.

Anyone have any info on this.

Have the AFL decided what pick GC would have to give Geelong if Ablett signs with them.
I remember reading it had to be fair value. So for a 25yr old two-time premiership player, brownlow medalist, all australian midfielder i would value Ablett at being worth a anywhere from pick 1 to 5.

Not officially but they modified the rules so it could be picks not just pick!

maybe 2 round 1 picks

How many times does it have to be ****ing pointed out that gold coast doesn't have to give up any picks for signing uncontracted ****ing players.

The afl decides what compensation the original club is entitled to and they are awarded a pick or in ablett's case possible more than 1 pick that aren't related to any of the gold coasts picks. Thats why they are called compensatory picks, otherwise it would just be a normal trade structure.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=76855

This ranking system will then determine if a club is eligible for a compensatory pick in one of five spots - first-round pick, end-of-first-round pick, second-round pick, end-of-second-round pick or third-round pick. Under the model, the round-one, round-two or round-three picks would be taken immediately after the pick the club already has in that round in the draft that year.

So lets say the AFL give Geelong a first round pick and end of first round pick for him they would obviously not use them in the next two years given that they can't be used until after the first round is completed to protect GC/GWS pick priority.

They must be used within 5 years.

Because the round picks are to be used after the clubs original pick in the round the further down the ladder you are the better the pick.

So say in 3 years time Geelong finish 4th and therefore their first round pick is pick 14, that means their concessional first round pick would be 15 and their end of round pick would be 19. These could be worse if the PP system is still in place.

But say Geelong do a West Coast and slide and they hold onto these concessional picks until the 5th year where they have finished bottom, this pick could be 2, after their original first round pick of 1. Obviously it doesn't really affect their end of round 1 pick, and in theory could use it this year if they wanted to, only that with the GC/GWS extra picks the first round is much longer and so the pick is a bigger one.

If Geelong rec'd two first round picks then obviously they would try to hold them for as long as possible as they are likely to slide down the ladder in coming years and could end up with picks 1,2 & 3 if they finished bottom.

If they don't slide in the coming 5 years their picks would be way under market value for a player of the calibre of Gary Jnr.

On the other side of the coin we could do very well if for example Lynch was taken by GC and we got a 2nd round pick, that pick would be at the start of the 2nd round because we have finished bottom. We could end up with pick 26 (PP), 28(First Round) and 29(Concessional).

Anyway, I have explained this multiple times now, so follow the link and have a read about all things GC concessional.

2015 38 senior players and 9 Rookies in line with other AFL clubs

When do we increase from 6 - 9 rookies?

Lynch is 27 the same age as Bock
It has been rumoured all season that Gold coast were interested
Gold coast lack mature age talls
Lynch will be able to play ruck and midfiled for them like he did for us to protect the younger guys

I understand what you are saying but please, are you really comparing an AA CHB to Lynch. Please. I think you are comparing apples with oranges. The only thing Lynch and Bock have in common is age. Lynch can't play KP because he is too soft and avoide body contact. Thats why he is in the midfield, not because he is a quality midfielder and makes a contributiuon there but because his softness in the contest is a big liability in a KP.

Not saying that he has asked to leave, but if Ash Smith asked to be traded to come back to Victoria, what would West Coast be looking to get for him?

Really like the look of this kid and wouldn't mind seeing him at the Kangas.

I can't see him requesting a trade at this point in time, but trying to get a feel for how well he is rated by WC fans?

Not saying that he has asked to leave, but if Ash Smith asked to be traded to come back to Victoria, what would West Coast be looking to get for him?

Really like the look of this kid and wouldn't mind seeing him at the Kangas.

I can't see him requesting a trade at this point in time, but trying to get a feel for how well he is rated by WC fans?

Signed a new contract a week or so back.

By the way, I was talking to a mate last night based in Melb who has a brother still playing at this particular club. Apparently WC have made no secret they are EXTREMELY interested in an out of contract former #3 draft pick with a namesake also wanting to return to Perth. Perhaps this is where #4 may be offered.

Can't work out who you are hinting at here. More clues please? Very mysterious but intriguing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the last 10 number 3 draft picks are : didak,judd,brennan,sylvia,griffen,ellis,hansen,masten,hill,martin.

does Chris Masten actually want to play for west coast next year.

That sounds right. He's out of contract and his namesake Jon Griffin at Adelaide also wants to come to Perth.

Not sure Ryan does, but he'd be a good acquisition.

Thanks FS ..... I take it your OK at cryptic cross words. ;)

As always for dumb shits like me the answer is so obvious once you read the clues again.:p

the last 10 number 3 draft picks are : didak,judd,brennan,sylvia,griffen,ellis,hansen,masten,hill,martin.

does Chris Masten actually want to play for west coast next year.
I should have scrolled down... Checked Wiki for the last 10 drafts and then saw your post... :eek:

Griffen fits, but he comes from SA? I can't see any WA #3 picks who come from WA and are not already playing for a WA side.

Oh wow, a whole 9 brownlow votes. Gee wiz. How close did Wayne Carey and Gary Ablett get to a brownlow. Brownlows votes are handed for weight of possesions, not necessarily influence on games. It's laughable that you want to use brownlow votes as a measure of a players ability and performance.

And even so, 9 brownlow votes in 140 or so games. Pretty paltry. Even if you accept brownlow votes as a valid measure of performance and ability is being in your sides best 2 or 3 midfielders for 3 or 4 games out of 140 you have played is impressive is it? You set the bar pretty low, mate. Would he get a game at a top 6 club?

Well I think Waynkery and God would have polled a shit load more than 9 votes in their time. Your original question was has Selwood ever been in the top 5 most influential players on the ground - answer YES!
Over the length of his career Selwood has been a very impressive footballer, his courage in particular.
Would he get a game in a top 6 club? What a stupid question, don't you remember Selwood a few years ago playing for us when we were a top six club?

Thanks FS ..... I take it your OK at cryptic cross words. ;)

As always for dumb shits like me the answer is so obvious once you read the clues again.:p

I'm not bad at them actually.

Can't take the credit for this one though, wceblog picked it.

I understand what you are saying but please, are you really comparing an AA CHB to Lynch. Please. I think you are comparing apples with oranges. The only thing Lynch and Bock have in common is age. Lynch can't play KP because he is too soft and avoide body contact. Thats why he is in the midfield, not because he is a quality midfielder and makes a contributiuon there but because his softness in the contest is a big liability in a KP.
No I am answering your question of why so many people think lynch will go to the gold coast - nothing more

Remove this Banner Ad

Delist, Trade, Draft game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back