Delist, Trade, Draft game

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, Griffen is exactly what we need - quick, good kick generally and knows where the goals are. He's been holding out on signing for a while so obviously something's up, but on the other hand the Doggies will have a bit of cash free in the cap with the likes of Aker going and they won't want to let him go.

Does Griffen even want out? Doubt he'd want to come to us. Anyway we should throw everything we have at him.

Pick 4 + our second rounder + mckinley

Most of us were having a nervous breakdown at the thought of Wells for pick #4 yet we can't wait to give pick #4 plus more for Griffen?

Griffen, while a very good player, is overrated. I'll disclaimer the following comment by adding I haven't watch too many Doggies games this year.. but Griffen is a little too inconsistent and too susceptible to a tag to pay pick #4 + more for. He plays in a midfield with Cooney, Boyd and Cross. Assuming Kerr continues to get injured/suspended I see Griffen going backwards not forwards at our club.

Most of us were having a nervous breakdown at the thought of Wells for pick #4 yet we can't wait to give pick #4 plus more for Griffen?

Griffen, while a very good player, is overrated. I'll disclaimer the following comment by adding I haven't watch too many Doggies games this year.. but Griffen is a little too inconsistent and too susceptible to a tag to pay pick #4 + more for. He plays in a midfield with Cooney, Boyd and Cross. Assuming Kerr continues to get injured/suspended I see Griffen going backwards not forwards at our club.

He is a gun and has done a lot better than kerr when tagged. Easily worth pick 4.

Well I think Waynkery and God would have polled a shit load more than 9 votes in their time. Your original question was has Selwood ever been in the top 5 most influential players on the ground - answer YES!
Over the length of his career Selwood has been a very impressive footballer, his courage in particular.
Would he get a game in a top 6 club? What a stupid question, don't you remember Selwood a few years ago playing for us when we were a top six club?

This just goes round in circles. Brownlow medal votes are not a valid way of measuring the ability and value of an individual player. And even if they were 9 votes in 140 games when you play in the midfield is not very impressive.

The fact that you have to talk about Selwood's supposed courage rather than his ability or skills or his impact on games when trying to refute my point says it all. He doesn't impact games and you know it. It's a bit like if being forced to give a girl a complement on her appearance you tell her she has nice hands or feet - if thats the best you can say about her obviously you are avoiding talking about the other more prominant and important parts of her physical appearance. Obviously she is fat and ugly.

Selwood was getting a game in the period when we were a top 6 side because he was a young player being played on potential and being developed. You know like Swift and Ebert at the moment or the first and second year players at other top 6 clubs. They don't deserve their spot on form but the club plays them because they have an eye to the future and know that you have to get a player past 50 games before you can expect much of them and if you don't do it you are going to be short of senior players in a few years time.

Not saying that he has asked to leave, but if Ash Smith asked to be traded to come back to Victoria, what would West Coast be looking to get for him?

Really like the look of this kid and wouldn't mind seeing him at the Kangas.

I can't see him requesting a trade at this point in time, but trying to get a feel for how well he is rated by WC fans?

I personally would want a pick around 20 or better. i rate him high. not sure what value he would actually hold though. Super quick with good poise and a good kick.

Does Griffen even want out? Doubt he'd want to come to us. Anyway we should throw everything we have at him.

Pick 4 + our second rounder + mckinley

He is a gun and has done a lot better than kerr when tagged. Easily worth pick 4.

I said Griffen isn't worth #4 + more (e.g. + our second rounder + mckinley as you suggested - which imo is epic lulz worthy :) ).

Would I trade Griffen for just #4? Maybe.. but in the end probably not. He isn't consistent enough and while brilliant at his best he doesn't appear to be on his best often enough.. which is why he would fall short of 'gun' status.

Also playing in a strong team along side strong midfielders probably makes him look alot better than if he was playing in a struggling side.. Kerr being a perfect example. I think playing in a younger developing midfield would put more responsibility on him which I don't think he will handle.

I would rather target Deledio than Griffen.

This just goes round in circles. Brownlow medal votes are not a valid way of measuring the ability and value of an individual player. And even if they were 9 votes in 140 games when you play in the midfield is not very impressive.

The fact that you have to talk about Selwood's supposed courage rather than his ability or skills or his impact on games when trying to refute my point says it all. He doesn't impact games and you know it. It's a bit like if being forced to give a girl a complement on her appearance you tell her she has nice hands or feet - if thats the best you can say about her obviously you are avoiding talking about the other more prominant and important parts of her physical appearance. Obviously she is fat and ugly.

Selwood was getting a game in the period when we were a top 6 side because he was a young player being played on potential and being developed. You know like Swift and Ebert at the moment or the first and second year players at other top 6 clubs. They don't deserve their spot on form but the club plays them because they have an eye to the future and know that you have to get a player past 50 games before you can expect much of them and if you don't do it you are going to be short of senior players in a few years time.

Let's forget about our last discussion, you lost that argument miserably.
I do though notice, that you claim a player must get past 50 games before you can expect much of them. So for example if a club had played 19 players namely Strijk, Smith, Hams, Wilson, Masten, Mackenzie, Brown, Jones, Stevens, Shuey, Spangher, Mcginnity, S.Selwood, Schoefield, Naitanui, Sheppard, Swift, Wilkes and Stevenson with less than 50 games and Ebert who's on 53, they wouldn't be expected to achieve much and a problems in performance could be directly attributed to that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First of all conrats to WCEblog - I didnt think the cryptic clues were that hard to follow but it sure took some of you a while:p

According to the conversation I had last night, WC have been in Griffin's ear for almost 2 months now. Perhaps this is all part of Worsfold's grand plan to be contenders agian by 2012 when we all scoffed at him.

IMO Griffin for #4 would be a win for WC. Ticks all the boxes they need : speed, kicking ability and age bracket. WB home ground is Etihad where he cannot use his speed to advantage as he could at Subi.

I also think posters (and official recruiters) get caught up too much in the romanticism of drafting and what an 18yr may turn out to be rather than working on percentages - you know the old bird in the hand adage. Sure you may get a Judd but you may just get a Masten.

For the record the last 6 #4 picks are : Tambling, Kennedy, Leuenberger, Morton, Hartlett and Morabito. Perhaps its unfair to compare him to the last 2-3 names mentioned, but I would take Griffin ahead of any on the above list bar Kennedy. I would also think the chances of Atley or Gaff being better than Griffin in what he could offer to WC would not be one I would bet my money on.

Would take Griffin for pick #4 in a heartbeat. I rate him, exactly what we need and would complement Priddis' grunt work inside with some proven speed on the out

I said Griffen isn't worth #4 + more (e.g. + our second rounder + mckinley as you suggested - which imo is epic lulz worthy :) ).

Would I trade Griffen for just #4? Maybe.. but in the end probably not. He isn't consistent enough and while brilliant at his best he doesn't appear to be on his best often enough.. which is why he would fall short of 'gun' status.

Also playing in a strong team along side strong midfielders probably makes him look alot better than if he was playing in a struggling side.. Kerr being a perfect example. I think playing in a younger developing midfield would put more responsibility on him which I don't think he will handle.

I would rather target Deledio than Griffen.

You admitted you haven't seen much of the dogs.... He gets tagged week in week out and still does well. LOL @ deledio over griffen :rolleyes:

Would definitely give up pick 4 for Griffen, the exact player we need and still only 24. Although there questions marks on consistency, he's on the park and performs more consistent and better than someone like Wells, and is definitely a more damaging player than Deledio.

If we could come away with Griffen and upgrade both picks 26 & 28 into the teens we'd be laughing after trade week.

The last thing we need is a young kid with good footskills in our backline with midfield rotation potential.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Should we replace him with ANOTHER player who is full of heart, endeavour and toughness but who concedes goal after goal with poor disposal and decision making?

Reminds me a lot of Grant Birchall. He will be there next year, unbelievable people could think he is ahead of others for delistings/trading.
Im not saying they should delist him. Its just a lot of people were talking him up too much and whinging why he didnt get selected towards the end of the year. He seemed a bit soft when he was playing and wasnt the best defensively. Would be others ahead of him like Sheppard, Smith for the CHB flank position.

You admitted you haven't seen much of the dogs.... He gets tagged week in week out and still does well. LOL @ deledio over griffen :rolleyes:

Griffen isn't worth #4 + 2nd round pick + mckinley. Period.

Not sure whats so funny about Deledio over Griffen. Younger, more consistent, has performed well in a shit side.

I realise that statistics don't tell the full picture but looking at champion data points Deledio has averaged 102.8ppg in a bottom 4 side vs Griffen 95.4 in a top 4 side. Deledio has averaged over 100ppg in each of the last 3 seasons, prior to this season Griffen has never averaged over 90ppg.

So yeah.. Deledio over Griffen. :thumbsu:

Griffen isn't worth #4 + 2nd round pick + mckinley. Period.

Not sure whats so funny about Deledio over Griffen. Younger, more consistent, has performed well in a shit side.

I realise that statistics don't tell the full picture but looking at champion data points Deledio has averaged 102.8ppg in a bottom 4 side vs Griffen 95.4 in a top 4 side. Deledio has averaged over 100ppg in each of the last 3 seasons, prior to this season Griffen has never averaged over 90ppg.

So yeah.. Deledio over Griffen. :thumbsu:

Until you actually watch the bulldogs on a consistent basis your opinion on Griffen can't be taken seriously.

Until you actually watch the bulldogs on a consistent basis your opinion on Griffen can't be taken seriously.

:rolleyes:

Sorry I missed which point you didn't agree with.. Deledio being younger, more consistent/better over the past 3 seasons as well as playing in a much shittier side.

#4 + 2nd rounder + mckinley for Griffen.. I'm glad you're not part of the recruiting staff. :)

Oh and add Deledio being more flexible (can play off the hbf, can play as an attacking mid and also a half forward) as another reason why Deledio > Griffen.

Anyway not looking to start a shit fight. I've said my peace on the topic. We each have our own opinions.

While Essendon is without a coach, we should look at their list for players who want to come home.
Get Pat. Ryder back to WA as Full Forward. I think he has played closely with Kennedy before.

:rolleyes:

Sorry I missed which point you didn't agree with.. Deledio being younger, more consistent/better over the past 3 seasons as well as playing in a much shittier side.

#4 + 2nd rounder + mckinley for Griffen.. I'm glad you're not part of the recruiting staff. :)

Oh and add Deledio being more flexible (can play off the hbf, can play as an attacking mid and also a half forward) as another reason why Deledio > Griffen.

Anyway not looking to start a shit fight. I've said my peace on the topic. We each have our own opinions.

I disagree with all your points bar deledio being younger. Griffen has played those exact positions as well.

I think Griffen would be good. Bit of a surprise that they are targeting him, can't recall a non ex WA player of his age and profile being recruited by WC previously. Great if they could pull it off, definitely worth pick 4 at least, but pick 4 plus pick 20 something plus McKinley is probably paying too much. Prefer Griffen to Deledio although Deledio is a good player also. I think Griffen has more "x factor" and is a pure midfielder whereas Deledio is more of a quarterback and we have a high quality one of them already (Hurn). Along the same lines I wonder if it would be worth enticing Simon Black for a couple of years to tutor the young midfield (?). Back on Griffen, South Aussies seem happy here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delist, Trade, Draft game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back