Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Now Starts A Long Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im just a little worried. Been reading up on Masten's draft profile from back in 2007. Apparently he was a contested king back in the day- yet his frail bod has meant this hasn't translated to AFL form. One of the big criticisms of Weller is his lack of strength, even at the U18 level (181cm 71kg), meaning that he'll probably play on the outside with masto. I dont think this is the kind of player we need to be honest, he'd just be Masto 2.0 Electric Boogaloo

Albeit 2cm taller and with better kicking skills. Wont be elite IMO and will be very susceptible to the tag.

I think you're over-thinking this.
Kids sometimes develop/don't develop attributes with almost complete randomness.
Masten was a contested ball player at U18 and now seems completely devoid of that ability.
Conversely players develop sides to their game that you wouldn't have thought them capable of.
Ahern may, as part of his development, gain the ability to average 28 touches a game at AFL level and suddenly he's a very valuable midfielder.
I wasn't expecting Bontempelli to be able to average 15.9 disposals in his first year because (up until his last 6 or so games of TAC Cup football) he was not necessarily a great accumulator of the ball. His Champs last year attested to his impact but also made me think he'd struggle to get large numbers of touches. I expected something like Gary Rohan, a player who had an impact on the game but was unlikely to be a dominant presence all game.
Of course, if we don't speculate about what these kids will or won't develop as then we're not really going to have much to discuss. But it is worth considering how unexpectedly some players may develop.

Im just a little worried. Been reading up on Masten's draft profile from back in 2007. Apparently he was a contested king back in the day- yet his frail bod has meant this hasn't translated to AFL form. One of the big criticisms of Weller is his lack of strength, even at the U18 level (181cm 71kg), meaning that he'll probably play on the outside with masto. I dont think this is the kind of player we need to be honest, he'd just be Masto 2.0 Electric Boogaloo

Albeit 2cm taller and with better kicking skills. Wont be elite IMO and will be very susceptible to the tag.
Your saying you don't want weller because he is skinny and may end up outside like masten but you want Pickett who is also masten height and skinnier than weller ! I know Pickett has pace but weller also has pace and better kicking skills .

It's not mastens size that holds him back in the contested situation ( although it doesn't help ) its his composure and pea heart . He doesn't even get his arms free when tackled .
Just because masten turned into a pussy doesn't mean a kid with the same height and weight will too !

As much as I love Cripps, Garlett offers far superior kicking skills among other things. Is a more natural forward.
Cripps shits on Garlett.

Taller and has pace . Weller also doesn't seem to shit himself at the contested ball !

The first part it true, but Masten at the same age is a much stronger contested player. Weller is closer to Gaff than Masten as his contested game is weak/ non existent.

Your saying you don't want weller because he is skinny and may end up outside like masten but you want Pickett who is also masten height and skinnier than weller ! I know Pickett has pace but weller also has pace and better kicking skills .

It's not mastens size that holds him back in the contested situation ( although it doesn't help ) its his composure and pea heart . He doesn't even get his arms free when tackled .
Just because masten turned into a pussy doesn't mean a kid with the same height and weight will also too !

Pickett is actually 5kgs heavier than Weller, but, more importantly is physically imposing when tackling and bursting packs. As you said, Pickett is also superior in terms of his acceleration, speed and has better than average endurance aswell. Weller is a better kick comparatively, however Pickett is also an elite kick who damages by foot.

My main concern with Weller (I rate him very highly-He's my second preference at pick 10) is that his key strength is his stoppage work, where he uses his agility and positioning to clear the ball. However even at this level Weller doesn't rely on his strength, in fact it's his major weakness at u18 level and weakness that will only be exacerbated at senior level. This will force Weller to play on the outside (He's untested as a defender or forward).

Pickett on the other hand is not an inside player, He's a dynamic outside player who tackles hard, damages by foot and has shown the capacity to regularly burst packs. As aforementioned, he is also stronger than Weller aswell as being faster. In addition he has shown the versatility to play as a very dangerous small forward- given he is deceptively dangerous overhead aswell as on the ground. He is the better of the two options in my opinion.
  • From WA
  • Faster top speed and better acceleration
  • Actually uses speed in game (Run and Carry, Burst Packs etc)
  • Better strength wise
  • Versatile

10. West Coast – Jarrod Pickett
South Fremantle
Height: 179 cm
Weight: 76 kg
Position: Forward/midfielder
Player comparison: Chris Yarran
Strengths: Speed, Tackling, damaging by foot
Areas needing improvement: Consistency

Unlike a lot of the highly rated small speedsters from WA over the past few years, Pickett comes with a difference. He is that damaging, hard running Chris Yarran type who screams x-factor, but he also places a lot of emphasis on forward pressure, Against Vic Country, he was well held and struggled to have a great impact. So instead of chasing possessions or cheap goals, he started tackling like a mad man and showed some real quality in his defensive game. He is exciting around goals and he gathers a fair amount of the ball. To me, he has all the qualities to become an AFL standard player and may even become an A-grade talent.

I think you're over-thinking this.
Kids sometimes develop/don't develop attributes with almost complete randomness.
Masten was a contested ball player at U18 and now seems completely devoid of that ability.
I still think Masten is really underdone in terms of core strength. I don't know if it's because of his OP or the previous endurance-biased programme or whatever, but his lower body can surely get stronger. I am mildly confident that Simpson's push for stronger bodies over the off-season will get some improvement out of Masto. He's not that bad in contested situations he's just been playing very outside recently

Has Weller played much against better competition than the Div 2 players?

One thing's for sure after rewatching Jarrod Garlett's champs highlights: he might have similar atheletic traits to Pickett, but Pickett is a far better kick on the run, and looks much more composed with ball in hand. Garlett's ball drop at pace looks a bit scattergun.

Hard to separate Pickett and Weller in my opinion - in which case I'd rather go for the local kid. People will blast me for using the race card, but I really think we unconsciously give an extra couple of points to the clean-cut white kids, assuming that they're inherently more likely than their indigenous counterparts to develop a superior defensive and contested game, even if they play a similar game.

Garlett has basically the same game-goal ratio as Ballantyne and has played most of his career in a sub-par team. It is too easily forgotten how damaging he can be when up and about.
Yes But if you check Garletts recent loss of form it followed him into the vfl .. Thats why Carlton dont want him ..or anyone else if you are goal less in the vfl with 6 disposals a game there is no pressure to be selected at afl level .

Yes But if you check Garletts recent loss of form it followed him into the vfl .. Thats why Carlton dont want him ..or anyone else if you are goal less in the vfl with 6 disposals a game there is no pressure to be selected at afl level .
I daresay that is linked to his personal issues. That is a big factor in whether or not he'd be worth looking at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cqcb1.jpg

One thing's for sure after rewatching Jarrod Garlett's champs highlights: he might have similar atheletic traits to Pickett, but Pickett is a far better kick on the run, and looks much more composed with ball in hand. Garlett's ball drop at pace looks a bit scattergun.

Hard to separate Pickett and Weller in my opinion - in which case I'd rather go for the local kid. People will blast me for using the race card, but I really think we unconsciously give an extra couple of points to the clean-cut white kids, assuming that they're inherently more likely than their indigenous counterparts to develop a superior defensive and contested game, even if they play a similar game.

Garlett had a foot injury in some of that footage, so take it with a grain of salt. But yes, Pickett is the more damaging kick offensively.

Garlett had a foot injury in some of that footage, so take it with a grain of salt. But yes, Pickett is the more damaging kick offensively.
Ah gotcha. You can tell. Doesn't look 100%

Weller has played NEAFL and been quite productive. AS I've previously stated, watching him play he just seemed a special player - great kick, very good in traffic, very good vision. I'd compare him to Aish in that it's not that he doesn't have contested game, but he's such a classy player he's more valuable being a receiver. He has also been very productive at every level.

I still think Masten is really underdone in terms of core strength. I don't know if it's because of his OP or the previous endurance-biased programme or whatever, but his lower body can surely get stronger. I am mildly confident that Simpson's push for stronger bodies over the off-season will get some improvement out of Masto. He's not that bad in contested situations he's just been playing very outside recently

Couldn't agree more.

I think Masten is, at least partly, a victim of poor development.

Kerry thought Masten would play more inside but we always protected him from too much contact, forward, wing, anywhere out wide - ostensibly to develop his outside game but eventually to the complete detriment of what was a good junior inside game ...

May be too late to change that but we'll see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pickett is actually 5kgs heavier than Weller, but, more importantly is physically imposing when tackling and bursting packs. As you said, Pickett is also superior in terms of his acceleration, speed and has better than average endurance aswell. Weller is a better kick comparatively, however Pickett is also an elite kick who damages by foot.

My main concern with Weller (I rate him very highly-He's my second preference at pick 10) is that his key strength is his stoppage work, where he uses his agility and positioning to clear the ball. However even at this level Weller doesn't rely on his strength, in fact it's his major weakness at u18 level and weakness that will only be exacerbated at senior level. This will force Weller to play on the outside (He's untested as a defender or forward).

Pickett on the other hand is not an inside player, He's a dynamic outside player who tackles hard, damages by foot and has shown the capacity to regularly burst packs. As aforementioned, he is also stronger than Weller aswell as being faster. In addition he has shown the versatility to play as a very dangerous small forward- given he is deceptively dangerous overhead aswell as on the ground. He is the better of the two options in my opinion.
  • From WA
  • Faster top speed and better acceleration
  • Actually uses speed in game (Run and Carry, Burst Packs etc)
  • Better strength wise
  • Versatile

10. West Coast – Jarrod Pickett
South Fremantle
Height: 179 cm
Weight: 76 kg
Position: Forward/midfielder
Player comparison: Chris Yarran
Strengths: Speed, Tackling, damaging by foot
Areas needing improvement: Consistency

Unlike a lot of the highly rated small speedsters from WA over the past few years, Pickett comes with a difference. He is that damaging, hard running Chris Yarran type who screams x-factor, but he also places a lot of emphasis on forward pressure, Against Vic Country, he was well held and struggled to have a great impact. So instead of chasing possessions or cheap goals, he started tackling like a mad man and showed some real quality in his defensive game. He is exciting around goals and he gathers a fair amount of the ball. To me, he has all the qualities to become an AFL standard player and may even become an A-grade talent.
Yes Pickett is heavier the first weight I read on him was 69 kgs .
I think you are over rating pickett's tackling . He barely tackles and sticks them , also he doesn't use his pace very often defensively .
Also you have wellers key strength as his stoppage work which is nice at a div 2 level but he is not a bullocking contested stoppage player more of a beams type in being on the move , with clean hand and agility in traffic . He also has good vision with his handballs . You don't want weller fighting tooth and nail for the ball because
his main strength IMO is his fantastic kicking skills and work rate both ways . He is a much better tackler than Pickett .
My problem with Pickett is I feel he will develop into a varcoe and never become the mid we need but a guy with flashes of brilliance then go missing .

Yes Pickett is heavier the first weight I read on him was 69 kgs .
I think you are over rating pickett's tackling . He barely tackles and sticks them , also he doesn't use his pace very often defensively .
Also you have wellers key strength as his stoppage work which is nice at a div 2 level but he is not a bullocking contested stoppage player more of a beams type in being on the move , with clean hand and agility in traffic . He also has good vision with his handballs . You don't want weller fighting tooth and nail for the ball because his main strength IMO is his fantastic kicking skills and work rate both ways . He is a much better tackler than Pickett .
My problem with Pickett is I feel he will develop into a varcoe and never become the mid we need but a guy with flashes of brilliance then go missing .

No offense, but i think your characterisation of Pickett as being poor defensively is misplaced. One of Pickett strengths is his defensive pressure and tackling.. not sure how you got the impression it was one of his weaknesses.

One more thing id like to add is that Pickett has experience against mature bodies and found no difficulties in playing his natural game. "Towards the end of the season Pickett received valuable senior WAFL league experience playing in the five league level games. Additionally Pickett also performed and looked at ease in the AIS v Collingwood game earlier in the season so he should be able to make the adjustment and continue to have an impact against bigger bodies." (Knightmare's Draft Profile)

As I have said before, Weller's relatively slight frame and lack of strength- even at an u18/div 2 level, is an area of concern and puts just a little shadow of doubt in my mind, which is why I consider Pickett to be the better draft candidate.

Last edited:
No offense, but i think your characterisation of Pickett as being poor defensively is misplaced. One of Pickett strengths is his defensive pressure and tackling.. not sure how you got the impression it was one of his weaknesses.
What? Please explain. His defensive pressure comes too late, from the 5-6 times that I've watched him, ie he waits until they have the ball before putting the pressure on, rather than getting into a better position defensively, prior to them getting the ball.

One more thing id like to add is that Pickett has experience against mature bodies and found no difficulties in playing his natural game. "Towards the end of the season Pickett received valuable senior WAFL league experience playing in the five league level games. Additionally Pickett also performed and looked at ease in the AIS v Collingwood game earlier in the season so he should be able to make the adjustment and continue to have an impact against bigger bodies." (Knightmare's Draft Profile)

As I have said before, Weller's relatively slight frame and lack of strength- even at an u18/div 2 level, is an area of concern and puts just a little shadow of doubt in my mind, which is why I consider Pickett to be the better draft candidate.
He only had 12 tackles in 6 games in the u18 championships . What a machine !

If a strength is his tackling as you said and he has extreme pace then why so low ?
It shouldnt be surprising that an outside midfielder has less tackles than a player who's strength is his clearance work, surely?
Or he only uses his attributes offensively and doesn't get back and help defensively as much as you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back