Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Now Starts A Long Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironically gone now

A little x shows up in my reply box automatically. Sometimes I think to delete it, other times I don't
gpiirnxglya.png

Playing devils advocate for a moment here Bond007 but this isn't a new position from folk at West Coast. We've been hearing it for 4+ seasons ....

I fully understand that trades are tough but from your earlier post at point 1 you note that we are nice guys to deal with. Maybe being nice isn't that important?

Maybe it's quaint.

We are conservative, we seem to work inside the box and we've come off a few somewhat pointless years under Woosh. Maybe we need to act with some arrogance, push the envelope and get in the faces of contracted players?

I think we risk too slow a rebuild but Id agree if even 1 of our 2 overseas recruits stands up and Waterman exceeds expectations then maybe we are closer than I think ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Understand your position but its not about being nice, its about being fair both to players, clubs and the rules of society.

Last year WC took a strong position on SK's attempt to get Brown to break his contract, so it would be very hypocritical of them to attempt the same thing. I do know they have had discussions with 2 players over the course of this year both officially through their managers and more casually via player to player banter, but they wont breach the line as per GWS and Griffin. If either player wanted out then WC would move instantly.

WC are a conservative club, and whilst Simpson is changing things, its a slow process.

Whilst trading is important as WC proved 10 years back, premierships are based on successful drafting and that's what WC have thrown resources at in order to get better.

Well, Collingwood's deadline has officially passed.

Are Brisbane still in the AFL?
"Out of respect to Dayne, Collingwood worked as hard as it could to construct an equitable deal with the Lions who pursued the contracted 24 year-old All-Australian midfielder but, ultimately, didn’t value him as Collingwood does."

"As everyone is aware, Dayne requested a trade to Brisbane for personal reasons, something Collingwood agreed to consider as long as the outcome returned appropriate compensation.

"Unfortunately, this was not forthcoming.Collingwood’s position from the outset was that a good player and an early draft pick was a fair return, although the club did consider the possibility of a combination of draft picks. Even this failed to produce a solution.

"Now that negotiations with Brisbane have ceased, Collingwood is free to pursue other opportunities involving players and picks. The club remains open to offers from other clubs for Dayne, if that is his wish.

"If not, at the conclusion of the trade period the club will look to sit down with Dayne to prepare for the 2015 season."
Collingwood being Collingwood I guess

Understand your position but its not about being nice, its about being fair both to players, clubs and the rules of society.

Last year WC took a strong position on SK's attempt to get Brown to break his contract, so it would be very hypocritical of them to attempt the same thing. I do know they have had discussions with 2 players over the course of this year both officially through their managers and more casually via player to player banter, but they wont breach the line as per GWS and Griffin. If either player wanted out then WC would move instantly.

WC are a conservative club, and whilst Simpson is changing things, its a slow process.

Whilst trading is important as WC proved 10 years back, premierships are based on successful drafting and that's what WC have thrown resources at in order to get better.

Yep fair enough. Agree re drafting. We've just done average at it of late. If we'd nailed a few more of that plethora of top 30 picks we'd be contending now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the club is anyway, and what supporters should be excited about is the skill level of both those boys.

I think many on here want any trade simply to feel that WC are active in improving their list. Well they have been and will continue to do so but only for the right player. They could have thrown big money at Garlett but didn't because they felt it wouldn't be the right thing to do from a club perspective.

I understand the frustrations of supporters but I'm not as bearish on WC as many who post here. Whilst Glass and Cox were damn good footballers, WC seamlessly moved through their departures. Their core players have a minimum of 3-4 years left and with a good run of injuries and natural improvement of their kids they will improve dramatically. Sure they'd welcome 1 or 2 elite players who can carry and deliver but its not that easy to find, hence their interest in Varcoe.

IMO reading between the lines, Plough was saying - all the other big clubs (and their Presidents, players, recruiters) sound out top players and ask what would it take to get them to come to our club; West Coast is a big club and could be doing more of this. ie be more aggressive in targetting players we want and throwing money at them if that's what it takes. As you said earlier, WC don't do this and are highly regarded by other administrations. And we came 9th.

Collingwood being Collingwood I guess

I just don't get how clubs would want to keep a player against their will. I know they signed a contract, blah blah, but in the end if the player wants out, and you don't let them, what's the best case scenario?? Beams could just f**k around for a year, play in the VFL and then bail once his contract is up, Pies get bugger all. Same with Griffen and the Dogs. If you can sack a coach with years remaining on a contract, then they obviously aren't as sacred as clubs try and make out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't get how clubs would want to keep a player against their will. I know they signed a contract, blah blah, but in the end if the player wants out, and you don't let them, what's the best case scenario?? Beams could just f**k around for a year, play in the VFL and then bail once his contract is up, Pies get bugger all. Same with Griffen and the Dogs. If you can sack a coach with years remaining on a contract, then they obviously aren't as sacred as clubs try and make out.

But where do you draw the line? If a team is offering you compensation that you don't think is enough, where is the line drawn for what you have to accept and when you have to keep him? If Brisbane were hypothetically offering just pick.21 for Beams what would you expect Collingwood to do? The club can't let the players dictate what they do.

IMO reading between the lines, Plough was saying - all the other big clubs (and their Presidents, players, recruiters) sound out top players and ask what would it take to get them to come to our club; West Coast is a big club and could be doing more of this. ie be more aggressive in targetting players we want and throwing money at them if that's what it takes. As you said earlier, WC don't do this and are highly regarded by other administrations. And we came 9th.

No what I said is that WC don't encourage players to break contracts. Wallace has no idea what WC do behind the scenes.

No what I said is that WC don't encourage players to break contracts. Wallace has no idea what WC do behind the scenes.
Yeah, I think people confuse not been publicly active with not being active.

Beams does not go for nothing - in fact Collingwood's statement has basically said they have finished speaking to the Lions about this and will try with other clubs and if that is not sucessful then they will plan next year with Dayne.

Doesn't look like we are going to pick up anyone this year through trading. That's ok though plenty to look forward to in waterman, Adamson and the return of waters. Pickett too if he makes it to our pick
Don't forget the Trophy. He's the one I'm most excited about

I heard WC approached Griffens manager yesterday.

You hear the same?

You may be right Boss. If this off-season is an example of the way things are going, players don't seem to need too much encouragement. The advent of Free Trade is encouraging even contracted players to look for opportunities to move to where they want to be.
Hopefully next year some of those guys will want to come to WC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back