Demetriou is right. ? "AFL Park" Where to Build the new stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Dandenong isn't in Melbourne. Princes Park is not adequately serviced by rail. Two of the big boys had to be bailed out by the AFL....the financial reality applies to all AFL clubs....see Brian Cooks comments re Senate enquiry into AFL in Tasmania

Oh yeah sh!t the connecting tram access to Princes Park is horrendous!
who knows how anyone could get there!

What a complete joke, I still have and never will enter that bloody ethiad or what ever it is stadium after what happened to Waverley. I knew from the blood start that there would be problems and really another example of tossers at the top end creaming themselves on how much it can do for the individual rather than the supporters and the game. There is no reason to build a stadium either in the city or the West, the sth eastern suburbs is where it should be and in reality never moved from there. If they even think of building another stadium and tax payers are asked to donate, I for one will be voting against the move, you make your bed and you can sleep in it, there are other concerns that need tax payers money the investment into creativity and the arts would be one option or even more health workers, oh but wait thats right how dare I even consider the welfare of the nation over sports, how ridiculous.

I thnk the state government should build a stadium on the Jolimont railyard it would be close to transport.
It would also make good use of an eyesore area of Melbourne and they could make it a work of art.
The clubs would all make money by demanding that there is no corporate's or super boxes just bench seats and no toff's.

I think he is using the other states as a precedence for pumping cash into a bi monthly venue

He is. He forgets that they don't have a Docklands or MCG on the Gold Coast. The Victorian government have already poured millions of dollars into stadiums for the AFL. I can't see them spending many hundreds more just because the AFL signed a bad deal with the stadiums.

Laverton is a hole.
So was Waverley.
Laverton at least has rail.
Anyway who cares about the quality of suburb.
Theres many a toff who would have attended footy in Foots, Ess, Coll, Moorabin etc over the years who wouldnt set foot in those suburbs for any other reason.

Anyway Junction still the go imo having read all this.
2 tramlines. Plenty of fields to park in. (used to get 25+ in there dont see why we cant again??)
Reasonably central. On the Sth east side to appease the complainers from out there and not too far for the Westies.
Limited games dont matter because it becomes the Bushrangers cricket venue. People might actually attend state cricket at a small venue.:thumbsu:
Lots of corporates in the area.

All the clubs with low supporter bases were offered on numerous occasions deals to play out of Princes Park eg. Melbourne, Bulldogs, Kangawho's etc. but you all wanted to live in your deluded world of 'competing with the big boys'. They made their beds so let them lie in it. To build a new stadium in Melbourne would be ridiculous.

If the deal is anything like the absolute joke that the Hawks lived with at Princes Park, teams were clever to stay away.

So the Victorian clubs are going to play their games on the Gold Coast and in Western Sydney? :rolleyes:

I think you are a little confused......the question i answered was WHO would put up $$ for a stadium to only host 11 games a year....insinuating that why would the Vic government do it when no one else would!

There are already two perfectly suitable stadiums for Australian rules. The Victorian government isn't going to build a third and the sport/league/supporters are certainly not "OWED" a third :rolleyes:
Those same two stadiums are also perfectly suitable for soccer and rugby league, but that didn't stop the state government forking out $330m to built them a shiny new one. In fact, Docklands was expensively configured to allow the stands to be moved in for those sports, but they choose not to use that facility. So tell me why soccer and rugby league are entitled to a publicly funded stadium and our game is not. As someone else pointed out we have 10 teams playing out of 2 stadiums. A need has been clearly shown for a boutique smaller stadium. A great location would be the Olympic Park site - the government has said that it is going to move athletics to Bob Jane Stadium at Albert Park and demolish the old Olympic park stands. A 30,000 seat stadium would fit in beautifully there. It's nice and central, in the "sports precinct" and has plenty of public transport. DEMAND OUR RIGHTS!

Those same two stadiums are also perfectly suitable for soccer and rugby league, but that didn't stop the state government forking out $330m to built them a shiny new one. In fact, Docklands was expensively configured to allow the stands to be moved in for those sports, but they choose not to use that facility. So tell me why soccer and rugby league are entitled to a publicly funded stadium and our game is not. As someone else pointed out we have 10 teams playing out of 2 stadiums. A need has been clearly shown for a boutique smaller stadium. A great location would be the Olympic Park site - the government has said that it is going to move athletics to Bob Jane Stadium at Albert Park and demolish the old Olympic park stands. A 30,000 seat stadium would fit in beautifully there. It's nice and central, in the "sports precinct" and has plenty of public transport. DEMAND OUR RIGHTS!

:thumbsu:Nicely said and some good points CA!!!!!!

I don't think Dandenong would be the most popular location, mainly due to most people not wanting to get stabbed.

Somewhere in/near the city would be best.

Anyway, by the time any decision is made about a new stadium it would be 2012+ and the AFL's agreement with ETITURD stadium would be finished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

? Will the new stadium be built in Hobart ! The Tas. State Govt will surely bankroll it seeing they so vigorously attacked the AFL for not including Tasmania in the AFL competition.

Dandenong isn't in Melbourne. Princes Park is not adequately serviced by rail. Two of the big boys had to be bailed out by the AFL....the financial reality applies to all AFL clubs....see Brian Cooks comments re Senate enquiry into AFL in Tasmania

Serious question, you don't consider trams to be an adequate rail service?

TBH, I hate trams! :thumbsdown:

I don't believe there will be any chance in hell of another football stadium in Victoria and Dandenong would be the last choice. The AFL would look like complete imbeciles if they knock down Waverley only to build another stadium down the road.

With all due respect, Soccer Australia will be attempting to host a future World Cup in Australia. I would estimate that the FIFA World Cup alone would bring in triple the amount of the costs to build the stadium from television deals, sponsorship deals, tourism etc, whilst also confirming Victoria's image as the sporting capital of the world and events capital of the world.

Had AFL been a genuine world sport, I'd be willing as a taxpayer to fork out the coin necessary to build a third AFL stadium, but alas, it is not! 2 stadiums are more than adequate for Australian Rules, it's the greed of those stadium proprietors that is the issue.

With all due respect, Soccer Australia will be attempting to host a future World Cup in Australia. I would estimate that the FIFA World Cup alone would bring in triple the amount of the costs to build the stadium from television deals, sponsorship deals, tourism etc, whilst also confirming Victoria's image as the sporting capital of the world and events capital of the world.

I can't believe people actually still buy that old chestnut:rolleyes:

That IMAGE is generally held by a few dimwits who live in...........you guessed it....MELBOURNE!

That IMAGE is generally held by a few dimwits who live in...........you guessed it....MELBOURNE!

Is that so? Explain being named as one of the world's most liveable cities (top 20) for the past 5 or so years based on being "events central" and the "fashion capital" etc. (Please see London-based EIU - Economist Intelligence Unit)

Is that so? Explain being named as one of the world's most liveable cities (top 20) for the past 5 or so years based on being "events central" and the "fashion capital" etc. (Please see London-based EIU - Economist Intelligence Unit)

They did a study not all that long ago that showed that Melbourne was far and away the no 1 when it came to sporting events.

Noone hosts a wider and longer list of major sporting events than us.

Ok, so we tie for 17th best city to live but actually get beaten by Sydney:

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08/06/0611_mercer/index_01.htm?chan=rss_topSlideShows_ssi_5

I have Manchester named as worlds best sporting city in 2008:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=4193

London's West End attracts 200 million visitors a year:

http://england-travel.suite101.com/article.cfm/london_shopping_in_the_west_end

Can't find us on the Worlds Best New Years Eve either:

http://www.travelchannel.com/Travel...artTravelIdeasFmt?vgnextfmt=artTravelIdeasFmt

Ok, i am bored now.....

But i don't blame you.....our State government fills us with smoke and mirrors propaganda they spend millions of dollars to create.

They did a study not all that long ago that showed that Melbourne was far and away the no 1 when it came to sporting events.

Noone hosts a wider and longer list of major sporting events than us.

WHO is THEY? Most of these studies are commisioned by obscure government groups.

I also think you are confusing quantity with quality. We host a lot of events and do it very well, but i am so sick of that EVENTS CAPITOL or SPORTING CAPITOL of the world rubbish:rolleyes:

New York, Paris or London host many more major events and significant sporting events on a global scale! We think that the Melbourne Cup or AFL grand final is massive when no one outside of Australia has heard of it.

Malvern East where the golf course is (How many Golf Courses does SE Melbourne need?)

Geographical heart Close to freeway- new on/off ramps will need to be made specifically for the Stadium.

Malvern East Station on the Glen Waverly Line

Quick tram ride from caulfield station (frankston and Dandenong line)

not too far from Alamein station (alamein line) just change at camberwell for those on Belgrave and Lilydale lines.

Perfect

Yup, part of the Docklands/Telstra/Etihad deal with the stadiums was that no stadium bigger than 30k was to be built up to a certain date, 2012 I think??

Princes Park capacity even with the new development going in there I read is 22k. May still be alright. People complain about no rail link, but what is it..? 20-30 min walk from the city? still get there quicker than what you would to Dandenong taking a train from the city.

If you could get the greens on side, I'd say somewhere in Royal Park as a new stadium. However, no matter how much the AFL and it's clubs are supposedly losing on the stadium deals, they will be losing more, if the AFL were to build their own stadium from scratch.

You dirty rotten bastard, how dare you..

WHO is THEY? Most of these studies are commisioned by obscure government groups.

I also think you are confusing quantity with quality. We host a lot of events and do it very well, but i am so sick of that EVENTS CAPITOL or SPORTING CAPITOL of the world rubbish:rolleyes:

New York, Paris or London host many more major events and significant sporting events on a global scale! We think that the Melbourne Cup or AFL grand final is massive when no one outside of Australia has heard of it.

How many foreign entrants were in last year's Melbourne Cup, you'll have to remind me??? :rolleyes:

Melbourne Grand Prix, Australian Open (tennis), Boxing Day Test Match, Bells Beach Surf Classic (Victoria, not Melbourne)... all of which are internationally renknowned and we held the Melbourne Commonwealth Games 3 years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Demetriou is right. ? "AFL Park" Where to Build the new stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back