Demons weigh in with Cloke bid: 5M for 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

You shouldn't look at it as $750k vs $1 million.

If the Collingwood offer is $750k for four years, the comparison needs to be $3 million compared to $5 million.

He'd be giving up $2 million guaranteed to stay with Collingwood.

The only rational post in this entire thread.

Seriously, I want 5 minutes of my life back for reading through the dribble.

And the argument of "He can either play for a flag or play for a rabble" is stupid. This is the AFL. Teams can rise and fall at the drop of a hat. Melbourne did it throughout the 90s and 00s. Collingwood made 2 GF in a row only 3 years after winning the spoon.

Having two massive targets up forward, with Jurrah, Howe, would probably make Melbourne's forward line the toughest in the league, at least when it comes to options. It would certainly help Melbourne's development progress.

from my understanding the dees have been front ending contracts for a couple of years, and apparently we have 2mil to spend this year so if we got a cloke or a boak there contracts would be front ended as well so there 1st year would be there big pay and after that they wouldnt be on that much

People keep on saying that but that is an ill-informed view.

You could target an extra midfielder, let's say a Travis Boak (they will have the coin and can offer him 2 first rounders) as an example. You add him to the best midfield in the AFL and have Pendlebury, Boak (just as an example), Thomas, Beams, Sidebottom and co in the middle.

You could then send Dane Swan as a permanent forward, given their midfield surplus. I would back Swan to kick more goals than Cloke if he was situated as a permanent forward.

There are other options such as getting a Quentein Lynch in FA. I would back our recruiting dept. to deliver another quality player with picks and $.
There's options, but your rivals will have far more dangerous tall targets. The Hawks will have Buddy and Roughy for a start, and you need the big fellas to stand up to win flags.

Still, I'm confident Cloke will sign; he's just trying to extract every dollar he can.

That... is stupid. If they were in premiership contention then yeah ok but no.... They defs need some developed established players to guide their youth but I don't think Cloke is the ideal.

Cloke and Clark would make a pretty formidable forward combo

And who else have Melbourne got that will take up the salary cap as you'd anticipate that they will delist a few this year. Further there are relatively few good free agents available this year. Neeld also knows Cloke, they'll have no salary cap problems and they can probably front load his contract so if he doesn't workout it is no great loss, Cloke gets to play his footy at the MCG and Melbourne hurt Collingwood on the way through.

It is a plus, plus,plus move for all parties except Collingwood.

Is there any evidence that Melbourne have actually offered a contract or is it just guess work by The Age? I read that article, how the **** can The Age state that Melbourne have officially made an offer without any evidence? They're using language like 'It is understand' and 'they believe', I mean, seriously? No quotes from anyone at Melbourne.

The best thing about this is that all the regular nuff nuffs are using this article as evidence to have yet another go at the MFC. Of course the irony that this article claims that Melbourne only offered Clark $1.5 over 3 years is lost on them, it doesn’t suit their argument that Melbourne threw massive dollars to sign Clark but whinge about Scully leaving for massive dollars.

Well nuffies, which is it? Is this article correct? If so then Melbourne didn’t throw massive dollars at Clark. Or is it wrong? Well all know that they’re not smart enough to understand that they’ve completely contradicted themselves and now look like complete jack asses!

I love bigfooty!! :)

Is there any evidence that Melbourne have actually offered a contract or is it just guess work by The Age? I read that article, how the **** can The Age state that Melbourne have officially made an offer without any evidence? They're using language like 'It is understand' and 'they believe', I mean, seriously? No quotes from anyone at Melbourne.

The best thing about this is that all the regular nuff nuffs are using this article as evidence to have yet another go at the MFC. Of course the irony that this article claims that Melbourne only offered Clark $1.5 over 3 years is lost on them, it doesn’t suit their argument that Melbourne threw massive dollars to sign Clark but whinge about Scully leaving for massive dollars.

Well nuffies, which is it? Is this article correct? If so then Melbourne didn’t throw massive dollars at Clark. Or is it wrong? Well all know that they’re not smart enough to understand that they’ve completely contradicted themselves and now look like complete jack asses!

I love bigfooty!! :)

Would you like a burger with those chips on your shoulder?

The only rational post in this entire thread.

Seriously, I want 5 minutes of my life back for reading through the dribble.

And the argument of "He can either play for a flag or play for a rabble" is stupid. This is the AFL. Teams can rise and fall at the drop of a hat. Melbourne did it throughout the 90s and 00s. Collingwood made 2 GF in a row only 3 years after winning the spoon.

Having two massive targets up forward, with Jurrah, Howe, would probably make Melbourne's forward line the toughest in the league, at least when it comes to options. It would certainly help Melbourne's development progress.

Don't know about the toughest but pretty good and it meets 2 criteria of a good signing - getting a player who won't impact your cap too adversely and hurting the significantly team you take the player from.

In among the rage, he does have a point. I thought Clark was on $3.2mil over 4 years...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean if we can get under the salary cap when we're paying Roo a million, Kosi a reported $500K, Goddard $600K or whatever, plus whatever we're paying Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Fisher and Gram (who is reportedly on $400K and would be the lowest paid of that group, I imagine), plus Milne and so on, then surely Melbourne would have a shitload of space to be able to go after someone like Cloke and probably Boak as well, especially if Clark's contract was front-ended, which I imagine it was.

Bragging about being under the cap its moot if theres no flags to show for it. StKilda have their own cap problems but thats a different topic. Its not just the massive money that the Dees have thrown at Clark, its also the fact that he and Cloke basically play the same position. It makes no sense when the rest of their team is in far greater need of new blood...ruck, defence, small forwards, midfield, the list is endless.

Bragging about being under the cap its moot if theres no flags to show for it. StKilda have their own cap problems but thats a different topic. Its not just the massive money that the Dees have thrown at Clark, its also the fact that he and Cloke basically play the same position. It makes no sense when the rest of their team is in far greater need of new blood...ruck, defence, small forwards, midfield, the list is endless.
Ruck's okay, defence is overstocked, it's the midfield that's hurting.

Unless you get a good replacement soon, then your 'window' is closed IMO. You're not going to win a flag with Dawes as the go-to guy.

Eddie will lose it, like he's never lost it before. Toorak won't be safe.

We'll get a replacement. Tippett is waiting by the phone. There will be others falling over themsleves to come to Collingwood. Personally I reckon Ben Reid is an ideal candidate to fill Clokes shoes.

Melbourne are really starting to turn into a basketcase. Why are they recruiting power forwards in career best form when they are at the bottom of the ladder? Cloke only has a few more years being the best contested mark and then he will drop.

Nah mate, the nuffies who flock to these threads and desperately believe these articles as hard core evidence and then use it to ridicule others have the chip. Of course the fact that this article also contradicts them is the best part.

I'm just grabbing a bag of pop corn and enjoying the ride :)

Melbourne are really starting to turn into a basketcase. Why are they recruiting power forwards in career best form when they are at the bottom of the ladder? Cloke only has a few more years being the best contested mark and then he will drop.

LOL, was Clark in career best form last year was he?

Mate, that's hilarious...oh wait...you're serious :eek:

I guess when a five year tanking plan doesn't work, the club has try a different tack.

Hahaha, that's also funny....hang on, hang on. You're also serious about this? You actually think that Melbourne aren't completely shiite and have been tanking for the last 5 years?

I don't know whether to hug you or have you thrown into the funny farm.

We'll get a replacement. Tippett is waiting by the phone. There will be others falling over themsleves to come to Collingwood. Personally I reckon Ben Reid is an ideal candidate to fill Clokes shoes.
Reid started as a forward if i remember correctly......and soon found that he couldn't hit the barn door with a bucket of wheat...terrible kick for goal ...hence him now playing down back.

You really aren't too bright, are you? I wasn't for a second "bragging", but simply stating that if we can get all of them and their big contracts under the salary cap that Melbourne ought to EASILY be able to get Cloke into theirs, which you seemed to be suggesting they wouldn't be able to do responsibly. It looks like they could do it easily and with Viney coming in next year to strengthen their midfield, plus possibly Boak as well, they will be in pretty decent shape across the field.

As for them needing someone else for the ruck, they already have the current All Australian in Jamar, someone who was close to AA in the ruck a few years ago in Clark, who could play there at any time, plus the much improved Stefan Martin. That is heaps for the time being and better than most sides.

You're clearly on this thread playing defence and you're not doing it very well, with most of your points being shot down and now you're completely misinterpreting what others are saying. Well done Timmy. :thumbsu:

That... is stupid. If they were in premiership contention then yeah ok but no.... They defs need some developed established players to guide their youth but I don't think Cloke is the ideal.

I don't think it is stupid. They don't really have many good senior players, they have to pay near on $10m to their players next year, who are they going to pay? The vast majority of their senior players aren't worth what they are already being paid and they probably will want to clean the list somewhat.

It is probably better for them to spend their cap space on good quality senior players and create a good structure for their team. Cloke and Clark would give them two pretty good targets there for 5 or so years, would give a better environment for Watts to grow into as a third tall forward. They just need to spend some money on getting one or two good inside mids and they should purge a lot of their really ordinary senior players who do not earn the money they are being paid.

Yeah what kind of basketcase would go after power forwards in career best form lol :oops: Sometimes the stupidity on here is hilarious. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Demons weigh in with Cloke bid: 5M for 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back