Analysis Der-Wayne Russell is a Port man or a Gigantic C*ckbiscuit - Analysis

Der-Waye Russell is

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I fully understand and appreciate the individual being an ex Port player, 1981 premiership player, vice captain etc. However, the fact that he is an ex Port player from the 80s doesn't make him immune from negative comment from Port supporters now due to his current media comments and attitude. A lot has happened in those 30 years. I had hair in the 80s but I don't have now. That doesn't mean I kept my hair brush.

His role is that of football commentator and as we assume, a football commentator is expected to as much as possible, be unbiased in their opinion and reporting, including the commentary regarding frees awarded or not awarded etc. For whatever reason, favouritism of one team over another or a dislike of one team over another, is not something that should be conveyed or implied over the airwaves. It is not professional and the commentators are paid large sums to be professional. This applies to all sporting commentators.

It seems to me that some current football personalities also put themselves and their personal opinions above the game. They use their position in the media in an attempt to influence viewers. However, if a particular club is being singled out by a particular unprofessional commentator / influencer, the subtle planting of a personal agenda or opinions during the narrative of a football game (which is a very effective subliminal method to use btw), then that club should take appropriate, considered, action, which should at least include that person's removal from any club function list / after game interviews etc, until such times that viewing returns to a balanced commentary of both teams/clubs on the field on game day. This applies to all commentators / media influencers. They should not expect the club to assist with their employment duties if respect from them is not awarded towards the club during that employment . Balanced commentary of all games is certainly not too much to be expected from any club in the competition, no matter who is the football personality.

I accept some may consider the live commentary a trivial matter. Keep in mind, many people tend to believe without consideration a lot of what they hear and because of that, its does not become a trivial matter. And it could quite easily get worse, human nature being what is is. Any unwarranted Port Adelaide misinformation on a national scale that is met with club silence and then allowed to continue unabated could possibly impact the club in negatives ways in the future. Risk management 101.

Its not that we don't have anyone in club administration that has national media connections to assist in this endeavour FFS. !!!!! I am of the opinion the chairman and club will do nothing about how certain individuals portray Port Adelaide in the media because the chairman with his comments is unfortunately not much better.

Sorry for long winded rant.

He didn’t play in the 81 Premiership.

Russell played during our Ebert years.
As a 10yo kid I remember feeling shocked after he gave Darren Smith a formal handshake after Smithy had kicked a goal in a game at Adelaide Oval. Everyone else was high fiving him.
Amazing what you remember from your childhood.

The only silver lining to that quote is that it subtly points out why the crows have such a large chip on their shoulder to Port.

Also, the eternal pangs of shame that burn like a lightsaber to the gut of being our bastard spawn.

They know the Adelaide Crows only exist because Port. They know they're only playing at a shiny new Adelaide Oval because Port. They owe everything to us and they hate us for it, hate themselves for it.

Deep down, all those Crows nuffies with their "feral Port scum" sh!t know that they'd be the most rabid, passionate "feral Port scum" if not for a court injunction in 1990.

Much as I would've loved to have got into the AFL back then, we would've been stuck with the biggest dipsh!t supporter base in the land, so yeah, maybe it all worked out for the best, lol...

Last edited:
Saying that rozee or Robbie are playing for frees is not only stupid but shows how little knowledge he actually has of our list.

We absolutely have players that play for frees. I don't think Connor or Robbie have done so in their entire careers

Carn. Robbie has milked one from time to time. Gets reamed on balance tho.

All that said, how Dwyane continually chips away at the integrity of players with that call is unbelievable.

Of course we have players that on the odd occasion milk it for a free, but what was annoying about these 2 calls is that they were blatant frees. It is almost like he is only half watching the game sometimes and is scrolling down his list of 'Dwaynisms' to use so does not care if what actually happened, happened, as long as he gets his scripted sentence out.

Carn. Robbie has milked one from time to time. Gets reamed on balance tho.

All that said, how Dwyane continually chips away at the integrity of players with that call is unbelievable.

Agree on Roberto. But he’s certainly no worse than Betts, who’s probably never been called out for it in his entire time at Adelaide.

Dwayne took it to another level yesterday and belittled our club on national tv. That is damaging.

I am convinced that there is a directive by the media networks and the afl for the commentary to sway toward the home side to give viewers of the home side the home experience. However intertwined in that is the natural bias toward the Victorian side if it is a Vic side playing away at a non-Vic venue. So I believe the commentary bias is manufactured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is the exact transcript thanks to Gattaca

"Adelaide Crows the number one team in this state by any AFL measurement you can really like to go by, most fans, most members, the most power in the state, the most success, two flags to Port's one, most financial, but they wont have the most score today and Port Adelaide are in just as good a spot as Adelaide going into the last third of the season, and have a crack at another flag."​
At the next Port Adelaide related event he MCs someone needs to read this out to him word for word and ask him if this is the sort of thing an ex Port Adelaide player and member should be saying. Insulting, demeaning and spits in the face of every Port servant who has worked to elevate the club to where it is today.

I think he might be at the Portsmans Night in Melbourne in 2 weeks, the night before the Richmond game.

If he is then somebody NEEDS to challenge him.

He also said that Brad Ebert couldn’t get a game for West Coast before coming home.

He played 76 games out of a possible 91 for West Coast.

that was one of the worst calls in footy history, usually when a player is lining up and the commentator goes on about his past it's somehow relevant or he makes it somehow relavent but yeah this was literally like "Bread Ebert.... Played 4 Da Eagles once.... now hes kicking a goal 4 da Powa"

He’s just doing his job. Have no problem with his commentary.
He also highlighted we weren’t able to wear the prison bars in the first quarter. What other commentator would say that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Der-Wayne Russell is a Port man or a Gigantic C*ckbiscuit - Analysis

Back