Multiplat Destiny 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair bit over the past couple pages for me to catch up on and have yet only skimmed through, but just wanted to chime in while on the topic of LFG as I see PC is getting text chat, any mention of that for console? They don't need to implement any LFG system, just a global chat for social spaces so you can LFM or LFG with a tidbit of info, highlight a name and invite.

Guided gaming

friend1.jpg

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh. Cautious. But the story looks vaguely coherent, the characters seem to have personality and the community seems largely in, so I'm also in.
Let's be honest, the first game was all about the community

But as for guided gaming, it's more than just a poorly named lfg concept. It's a great idea. Because it stops the situation where 6 randos are thrown in with each other and means that you get to play with a group who generally already know each other, which will cut out 99% of the toxic bullshit you get from lfg's. Not only that, but if you get along with them you are far more likely to be have the opportunity to join a clan and play with people you like than you ever would with basic random lfg shit.

As for saying it will likely be poorly implemented, well, really? Why? Sounds like a pretty sound concept for mine.

In any case, if people for whatever reason don't like it there will always be the same old lfg sites. I ******* hate using them myself so I reckon it's a great idea and I'm more than happy to give it the benefit of the doubt. Ya ******* grinch :D

I think you're coming at it way too optimistically in regards to the community itself.

The way they explained it was pairing people who have never done the raid with a group of 5 who need 1 more. Most people aren't going to be looking to take someone in and teach them the raid. They'll want people who have done it before, usually with other unnecessary demands like Gjally, etc.

Now some people are going to want to take people on virgin runs etc and more power to them. But this system will live and die by how well the game pairs you up with people who are at a minimum competent enough to run the raid or follow simple instructions. Out of game LFG systems will probably end up being a better resource for picking up one extra to fill in for your raid during the week though as it allows you to be more selective as to who you bring in.

I do commend them for trying to implement a system that allows more to access end game content. Going by my Trophy list only 22% of players have the Trophy for completing a raid. I hope that they pull it off for those that didn't get to experience VoG, etc.

I think you're coming at it way too optimistically in regards to the community itself.

The way they explained it was pairing people who have never done the raid with a group of 5 who need 1 more. Most people aren't going to be looking to take someone in and teach them the raid. They'll want people who have done it before, usually with other unnecessary demands like Gjally, etc.

Now some people are going to want to take people on virgin runs etc and more power to them. But this system will live and die by how well the game pairs you up with people who are at a minimum competent enough to run the raid or follow simple instructions. Out of game LFG systems will probably end up being a better resource for picking up one extra to fill in for your raid during the week though as it allows you to be more selective as to who you bring in.

I do commend them for trying to implement a system that allows more to access end game content. Going by my Trophy list only 22% of players have the Trophy for completing a raid.
They must have LFG'd blackshadow

I do commend them for trying to implement a system that allows more to access end game content. Going by my Trophy list only 22% of players have the Trophy for completing a raid. I hope that they pull it off for those that didn't get to experience VoG, etc.
That last line is probably the best thing about it. But I really do think it's a great compromise between basic random matchmaking a la strikes, which would suck arse, and not having any match-making.

As for the picking up a virgin, that was just one example. You can quite easily say you either do, or don't, want to put up with a virgin in that example. But the more likely example of it is you don't quite have a 6, so you can trawl for someone to join, and if everyone's happy, great. Or, if you are the odd one out because the rest of your clan have made a 6 you can just go join someone else's clan for the night.

I for one would much rather join an existing team who are far more likely to be having a laugh and not getting frustrated with a group of strangers. And I think it's clear it's going to dramatically lower the toxicity if it's made mainly of people who know each other. No doubt there'll be some ****wit clans who get dudes specifically to dump them before the loot chest but you get that now anyway. I'm certain there'll be ways to specify what you want.

The very worst slant you can put on this, imo, is that it's an in-game lfg mechanic. I struggle to see the problem with that. Not everyone is lucky enough to be part of a community like we are - particularly people completely new to the game. Personally I absolutely hate lfg, and if I need to I'd much rather do it in-game with an existing clan.

And you may well be completely right, but as I said, it's not like lfg will go away, so it's still there if a) it doesn't work for some reason or b) if you don't want to use it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh, watching the competitive vids I would have just thought this was the 1st game. Even when a new Call of Duty comes out, it looks different but you know it's still CoD. This looks exactly the same though. Ah well, will most likely end up buying the most expensive launch edition version of this game and play it for 700+ hours anyway..

Decent listen/watch

No private games at launch, but never really used it so no biggie there.

My thoughts on D2 overall

'Guided games' is far from perfect but a big step in the right direction, people don't have to use it, so don't think it's a big deal either way. Will be helpful to for noobs who have never heard of stuff like lfg.

No dedicated servers is disappointing, judging by the fireteam chat vid above, really hope connection issues wasn't the overriding factor to make all PvP 4v4.

Artistically seems a bit of the same but the engine upgrade clearly shows, and the strike and campaign missions looked fun with better level design.

Get why people might not be super impressed but at its core it's still a reasonably solid game, and there's enough added to make me excited for September.

Someone put time stamps to the important talk in that video, 60fps and dedicated servers. Time stamp guys are good blokes.

"Not something we're investing in" in regards to dedicated servers. Yeah not like you blokes make billions of dollars or anything :rolleyes: What an amateur response when they follow it up with "we understand there's certainly a desire for it but the smaller team format can help us find tighter matches"....... how about just spend the money and not piss people off?

That annoys me much more than 60 fps. Battlefront, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Rainbow Six Siege, The Division.....all running on dedis. I suspect it's all on Activision, it's just the way they responded to that question.

Their 60fps answer checks out for PVE but none of that applies to PVP. Disappointed they didn't put the effort in and go the Rainbow Six route of PVE being 50fps, PVP being 60fps.

It'll be hard for me to take crucible seriously yet again. Laggy times ahead.

Dungeons, we're going to have dungeon like activities. That sounds like fun

Then there's Lost Sectors, which are like dungeons where, occasionally, as you're wandering around the world, you see a symbol etched on some wall and you know you're close to an entrance of some kind. Then you get to go – no matter what activity you're on – you can just go into this Lost Sector and go find a boss, kill it, and get some sweet treasure.
http://www.glixel.com/interviews/destiny-2-world-director-on-adventures-lost-sectors-w483358

inb4 loot cave version 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Destiny 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back