Autopsy Destiny awaits another season - Magpies lose by 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Aish had some critical contests he won in the first half really put his body on the line took the hit and possession.

Came in off little prep and game time fell off in the 2nd half.

Don't think he'll ever be a star but is a solid 'b' type that every team needs.

Well Aish has always taken a few games to come good like most players coming back from Injury

Aish had some critical contests he won in the first half really put his body on the line took the hit and won possession.

Came in off little prep and game time fell off in the 2nd half.

Don't think he'll ever be a star but is a solid 'b' type that every team needs.
He’s the solid c type player every teams needs in the reserves. He does alright but he offers us no run which is just unacceptable for a small defender at this level.

He’s the solid c type player every teams needs in the reserves. He does alright but he offers us no run which is just unacceptable for a small defender at this level.

Yes a bit like Schaz they like to win the aerial contest then go with a safe kick typically sub 40m.

Aish has moments of run but by and large plays a more hold and retain style.

Something the coaches can work with him on, think he has more natural talent then C types.

Also when we used him fwd (previous seasons) in more of a Bartell role I thought he played some his best footy there.

Yeah, but you're still talking 1,000's of year of compaction and that characteristic would equally affect AAMI park and Gosches paddock, potentially even Punt Road oval.

Not really, coode island silt doesn’t compact, I’ve seen piles driven and once they break through the fill and hit the silt, they just disappeared.

Players aren’t that heavy, the way load distributes through soil, once you get 300mm down or so there would be little deformation, so I don’t think looking at something 1m below the surface is the right approach. It’s the soil near the surface that will have a much bigger influence. Moisture has a big impact on soil strength so I’d be looking at the composition of that soil first.

One thing I’ve been thinking about is the role out turf, does that act as a mat that spreads the load. For example if you stand on wet concrete, you’d sink into it, but throw some boards down and you can walk on it without effecting the surface. Does the roll out lawn behave the same way?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect like most on here it's been a very tough footy week. I left the G pretty shattered trying to convince myself and 2 sons to keep the faith all the while knowing how hard it is to get to the last 4 to give yourself a shot at it.

After last year it took many months to watch the replay, this time i thought i'd watch earlier as a cathartic process. Not one to overly look for excuses and trying to be be fair of mind ( well rational i hope at least ) Also i wanted to refrain from individual player criticisms.

I had to stop at 3/4 time for the time being. What i saw was nothing short of a ' bad run' with a string of umpiring calls.
Nothing too much stood out in Q1 but from late in Q2 to mid/late in Q3 i noted the following.

A Mumford block on Roughy allowed a mark and goal from Cameron. Mummy looked at our defender and made no attempt to compete in the marking contest and in fact made a bee line to him. I'd rate it a 70/30 free kick, blocking calls are gray admittedly and have not been kind to us in finals

About 5 minutes before half time Haynes is tackled by Brown 15 meters from our goal and throws the ball. 90/10 free kick.

Early 3rd quarter, Roughy contacted front on in a marking contest then has his right arm dragged down/chopped, spill results in GWS goal. Clear free kick

Few minutes later, Finlayson stalks Grundy to push him in the back almost as a try on. Get away with it and goals.
Again, a clear free kick.

Again a few minutes later, Taranto awarded a mark that clearly bounced resulting in a goal. This was the play that lead to an horrendous turnover goal, so we have to take our whack on that one to a large extent.

I'll summon up the courage to watch Q4 sometime!

As bad as it was to closely watch on reply, i think it has helped!

As bad as it was to closely watch on reply, i think it has helped!

Need to be good enough to take the umpires out of it.

These posts offer differing views but both make a good point

In coffee shop this morning........ the name Ted Hopkins was brought up :( :(

I requested his name not be mentioned because I was looking fwd to a peaceful weekend and didn't want to start it off by going to therapy (most places prob shut anyway) ............ oh dear Pies and GFs - what is it??

If Richmond win tomorrow I will have endured them winning 7 flags and losing 2 GFs - I know they have had their down periods but 1 flag can wipe out years of missing out ---- Pies do you hear me??

Not really, coode island silt doesn’t compact, I’ve seen piles driven and once they break through the fill and hit the silt, they just disappeared.

Players aren’t that heavy, the way load distributes through soil, once you get 300mm down or so there would be little deformation, so I don’t think looking at something 1m below the surface is the right approach. It’s the soil near the surface that will have a much bigger influence. Moisture has a big impact on soil strength so I’d be looking at the composition of that soil first.

One thing I’ve been thinking about is the role out turf, does that act as a mat that spreads the load. For example if you stand on wet concrete, you’d sink into it, but throw some boards down and you can walk on it without effecting the surface. Does the roll out lawn behave the same way?

I'm not sure whether your talking about the playing surface or the bedrock.

If the bedrock, then it obviously compacted sufficiently to allow/require drilling and to hold shape while the tunnel was constructed.

If the playing surface, any time you relay a surface like the HC oval, there will always be a settling period where the soil compacts. Its then aeration and watering that allows the sub soil to balance out. You'd imagine they'd use a pretty good topsoil blend when they lay the surface but it still takes time to develop the underlying ecosystem.

We lacked a line breaker that has decent disposal (we tried with Wells) and a tall forward that has good footy smarts to work with Elliot and Stevo similar to Cameron or N Reawolt.
Not looking forward seeing GWS injured players coming back next year. Lions early 2000’s all over again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We lacked a line breaker that has decent disposal (we tried with Wells) and a tall forward that has good footy smarts to work with Elliot and Stevo similar to Cameron or N Reawolt.
Not looking forward seeing GWS injured players coming back next year. Lions early 2000’s all over again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The competition is now permanently warped, with the core clubs supporting themselves and being taxed to support the expansion clubs.

Since the beginning of expansion every core club to win a flag has done so DESPITE the concerted efforts of the AFL.

That is the new standard of the competition and I for one have had enough.

I will NEVER attend this CIRCUS live ever again.

I'm not sure whether your talking about the playing surface or the bedrock.

If the bedrock, then it obviously compacted sufficiently to allow/require drilling and to hold shape while the tunnel was constructed.

If the playing surface, any time you relay a surface like the HC oval, there will always be a settling period where the soil compacts. Its then aeration and watering that allows the sub soil to balance out. You'd imagine they'd use a pretty good topsoil blend when they lay the surface but it still takes time to develop the underlying ecosystem.

I was disputing your suggestion that the Coode Island silt is compacted to something approaching rock. It is highly compressible and is notoriously problematic. The tunnel you refer to passes under the Yarra River at a depth of 65m, it is in another strata, they’ve gone that deep to pass under the Coode Island silt. I know that the fill layer above the silt is poorly compacted and required stabilisation in order to construct pavements at hisense arena.

I’m suggesting that if there is an issue with the surface (and that is far from established), the issue would be close to the surface and not the ground conditions.

With no membrane between the dirt and the concrete - tks I believe to Mike Fitzpatrick's Hastings Group (orig developers) wanting to save money

I was part of a consortia bidding on that project (the unsuccessful bid so don’t blame me for the outcome:) ), so I have a little knowledge of the project.

I’m not sure what you mean by membrane, because a membrane is a thin liner and wouldn’t have any influence.

I was part of a consortia bidding on that project (the unsuccessful bid so don’t blame me for the outcome:) ), so I have a little knowledge of the project.

I’m not sure what you mean by membrane, because a membrane is a thin liner and wouldn’t have any influence.
A thick membrane - something between the soil and the concrete?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Destiny awaits another season - Magpies lose by 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back