Analysis Did Ablett wind back the clock or just give us a taste of what’s to come?

Remove this Banner Ad

He was playing against probably the weakest midfield in the league.
Tonight would make 4/7 games he's played in that he's featured in the coaches votes. A couple rated as our best player, and surely the WCE game was going to be another without premature injury. He was solid in 2 other games, then very poor in 1. That's a pretty good strike rate in my eyes. Especially since 6/7 of these have been away from KP and the team is stacked with players who play much better there than away.

Tonight would make 4/7 games he's played in that he's featured in the coaches votes. A couple rated as our best player, and surely the WCE game was going to be another without premature injury. He was solid in 2 other games, then very poor in 1. That's a pretty good strike rate in my eyes. Especially since 6/7 of these have been away from KP and the team is stacked with players who play much better there than away.

Exactly. Injury and a game or 2 to get back into it and people are dumb enough to think he has been poor.

Dunno. I think we'll see him play better on the bigger grounds where he can get a bit more space.
Won't be quite as good at KP IMO

He will lift for the finals, the whole team was given space to do what they could do last night . The last few weeks have been more defensive than offensive , I guess we will be back to a defensive mindset vs Nth Melb as they are very good offensively .

Hopefully the top teams can drop a few games and we can move up, I haven’t written the year off yet.

He was very good last night and has been good to very good in most of his games this year, the only thing he can't do anymore is put the team on his shoulders and almost single handedly win a game (ala Selwood and Dangerfield), he's now a finisher, a player who will destroy sides if we are winning the inside battle.
A bit like Duncan in that first half, we were winning the ball inside the contest and he was setup to receive the ball and he carved them up, that's what Ablett is gunna do now, be a brilliant outside weapon.

Even the coaches in their post match press conferences both said how the GCS mids left Ablett too much space to get the easy outside ball too often. I love how people get carried away over what was essentially a flat track bully performance. Let's see him produce games like this between North & Richmond in the next two weeks.

Even the coaches in their post match press conferences both said how the GCS mids left Ablett too much space to get the easy outside ball too often. I love how people get carried away over what was essentially a flat track bully performance. Let's see him produce games like this between North & Richmond in the next two weeks.
He's already produced it against the ladder leaders ... and 3rd placed Melbourne.

And he'll do it again.

You're right. The games he struggled in the most were against noteworthy 2018 powerhouses Essendon and Carlton.

When you're 34, the end can come quite quickly and quite suddenly - I think that trying to cast too far into the future is a foolhardy thing when it comes to Ablett. Just enjoying it on a week-by-week basis is probably good enough for mine, forecasting the form of a 34yo is a fraught thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right. The games he struggled in the most were against noteworthy 2018 powerhouses Essendon and Carlton.
Touche.

But even Sydney struggled to shake Carlton, so that makes our game against then a little more respectable and Essendon, well, that was just embarrassing for everyone. No doubt Gazza has been struggling to get his fitness and form since coming back from his hammy, and yesterday he was fantastic, but there's still a long way to go in the season.

Touche.

But even Sydney struggled to shake Carlton, so that makes our game against then a little more respectable and Essendon, well, that was just embarrassing for everyone. No doubt Gazza has been struggling to get his fitness and form since coming back from his hammy, and yesterday he was fantastic, but there's still a long way to go in the season.
Yeah agreed with all of that. My concern with Ablett would be how often can he get on the park at close to full fitness, rather than his capability to perform when those times arrive. One thing's for sure, he will *always* be more effective when we're on top of metrics such as clearances and contested footy. He's no longer the player to break a game open from the start of a chain, but his (different) role as a veteran is still important. If Duncan, Selwood, Kelly and Dangerfield perform as they should, Ablett complements them nicely.

He's already produced it against the ladder leaders ... and 3rd placed Melbourne.

And he'll do it again.

I posted thru the week I thought the bigger open ground would help him. The next test imo..will be in two weeks.. Rich at G.. do well in that game and he will get the plaudits.. I hope he does. I think he has lost a bit of pace..the closed in game probably doesn't suit him as much as it once did..but he still is class with ball in hand.. probably the best decision maker in the side.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter who we played.
He moved in a way that he hasn't for ages. Both in lateral movement and turn of foot.

It comes down to how he pulls up.
There is a definite possibility he's been holding back because he's sick of getting injured.
If he has a few games in a row like that AND feels good mid week then we are off and running.

Yeah agreed with all of that. My concern with Ablett would be how often can he get on the park at close to full fitness, rather than his capability to perform when those times arrive. One thing's for sure, he will *always* be more effective when we're on top of metrics such as clearances and contested footy. He's no longer the player to break a game open from the start of a chain, but his (different) role as a veteran is still important. If Duncan, Selwood, Kelly and Dangerfield perform as they should, Ablett complements them nicely.
Agreed. He was playing really well against the WCE before he did his hammy, so we know Gazza will contribute against any good opposition.

When you're 34, the end can come quite quickly and quite suddenly - I think that trying to cast too far into the future is a foolhardy thing when it comes to Ablett. Just enjoying it on a week-by-week basis is probably good enough for mine, forecasting the form of a 34yo is a fraught thing.

Perfectly summed up.

Overall it's hard to call his season anything but very good. There's only been one really poor game - against Essendon - and the rest of the time he's varied between solid to very good to (at times) excellent. Yes Gold Coast were utterly putrid but you can only play who you're up against, and 37 touches and 3 goals is a great game for any midfielder. Let alone a 34 year old one.

It doesn't mean he's going to star for the rest of the season. It doesn't mean he's going to star in the finals. He might. But as long as he gets that fraction more time and space he needs, he looks like he's going to be a very effective contributor. Not much to be displeased by there.

Perfectly summed up.

Overall it's hard to call his season anything but very good. There's only been one really poor game - against Essendon - and the rest of the time he's varied between solid to very good to (at times) excellent. Yes Gold Coast were utterly putrid but you can only play who you're up against, and 37 touches and 3 goals is a great game for any midfielder. Let alone a 34 year old one.

It doesn't mean he's going to star for the rest of the season. It doesn't mean he's going to star in the finals. He might. But as long as he gets that fraction more time and space he needs, he looks like he's going to be a very effective contributor. Not much to be displeased by there.

Good points. Id say ..Atm his best games this year have been on the bigger grounds it gives hope for a good finals but lets see how he looks in a couple of weeks against Rich.... and don't expect too much on the confines at KP.
The 34 yo thing is not to be under estimated , any other player at 34 and there would be criticism on the club of relying too much on player that should be just trying to chip in and play a role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Did Ablett wind back the clock or just give us a taste of what’s to come?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back