Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

• Yes

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 49 35.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe it's still getting beat up in the media.

Ginnivan copped it on the chin and regrets making the post.
Ken regrets that he went troppo.
Sicily regrets that he bit back.

Seems like what's done is done.

Not going to happen in Round 1 but will no doubt be early in the season.
I would guess we are playing in Opening Round next season, then Essendon in Round 1 and then potentially Port round 2 (depending on if Ken is still in the job)

I dunno we still haven't seen JHF play North in Melbourne yet.

Can't believe it's still getting beat up in the media.

Ginnivan copped it on the chin and regrets making the post.
Ken regrets that he went troppo.
Sicily regrets that he bit back.

Seems like what's done is done.

I think the AFL were fools for fining Ken and keeping this at the top of the news cycle. That’s the reason.

Meh I don’t want to derail this great thread so I’ll leave it there. But his level of outrage was clearly a matter of convenience rather than him genuinely getting upset at a video game (and he doesn’t seem to have realised that it was a video game).
Yeah I get where you are coming from.

A woman who called up SEN this morning put it best - Mitchell came across like the mother who never disciplines their poorly behaved, privileged child getting indignant when somebody else tells the child off.

I think the AFL were fools for fining Ken and keeping this at the top of the news cycle. That’s the reason.

AFL want the clicks.

All about engagement these days.

AFL want the clicks.

All about engagement these days.

Chris Scott went at lions players at a break a few years ago and the afl didn’t fine him. The world didn’t end and suburban coaches didn’t start abusing opposition players on mass (which is the AFLs reasoning).

Chris Scott went at lions players at a break a few years ago and the afl didn’t fine him. The world didn’t end and suburban coaches didn’t start abusing opposition players on mass (which is the AFLs reasoning).

You have stats or a study on suburban leagues that it didn't have an affect?

You have stats or a study on suburban leagues that it didn't have an affect?

You have stats or a study on suburban leagues that it did have an affect?

Of course it didn’t. Hawthorn supporters are being so precious about every little thing to do with this Hinkley situation. Hinkley transformed into an aeroplane. It was on the very low end of offence. And certainly wasn’t aggressive as Sammy Mitchell would have us believe.

You have stats or a study on suburban leagues that it did have an affect?

Of course it didn’t. Hawthorn supporters are being so precious about every little thing to do with this Hinkley situation. Hinkley transformed into an aeroplane. It was on the very low end of offence. And certainly wasn’t aggressive as Sammy Mitchell would have us believe.

So your claims that it had no effect on suburban leagues is just unsubstantiated drivel.

So your claims that it had no effect on suburban leagues is just unsubstantiated drivel.

Imagine thinking that Hinkley turning into an aeroplane will lead to a mass of suburban coaches abusing opposition players after games. Hysterical.

When Dermot Brereton ran through the Essendon huddle it was one of the most memorable and entertaining moments in the sports history. It was awesome!

Imagine what would happen if a player did that today! Be banned for life and sent to a reeducation camp.

Imagine thinking that Hinkley turning into an aeroplane will lead to a mass of suburban coaches abusing opposition players after games. Hysterical.

Imagine to be as clueless as you are, thinking that coaches in the AFL acting like that, wouldn't then be thought to be okay by suburban leagues coaches.

Nuffie that is happy to do it. You're obviously okay with it at AFL level, so why wouldn't you be okay at suburban level? Your post is contradictory. Go post more videos on the dark web of child abuse, that seems to be your thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine to be as clueless as you are, thinking that coaches in the AFL acting like that, wouldn't then be thought to be okay by suburban leagues coaches.

Nuffie that is happy to do it. You're obviously okay with it at AFL level, so why wouldn't you be okay at suburban level? Your post is contradictory. Go post more videos on the dark web of child abuse, that seems to be your thing.

Hysterical - it’s going to be ok.

Yes, they did.

But I think everyone knew it was there, and their antics have reeked of immaturity - so I'm not sure it was exposed as much as it was just verified.

What was more concerning for Hawthorn was that their game style was found out.

Swarm the ball carrier.

It crippled them. Made their good players that have had good seasons look like duds.

There were discussions on here relatively recently about how Hawthorn would look once the opposition put work into them. Well we saw that last night. They didn't have the answers.

Port took away their ball movement, which killed them.

That's the part that was exposed. And that's the part that will be interesting to see how and if Hawthorn can overcome it.

Um they lost by a kick.

That isn't crippling them. It's just falling short of the line.

Against a seasoned finals side about to have their coach sacked if they lost.

With a team just starting to climb the ladder and play finals.

They dominated the midfield so we struggled to get clean entries forward. Their great pressure around the ball managed to minimise their weakness
From the opening bounce, Ports intensity was on
Reckon would have laid more tackles first qtr than entire game previous week. That's not an irregular thing for Port under Hinkley - a very wide discrepancy in effort at times

Hinkley as soft as butter. Let a throwaway line on insta completely unhinge him, and cost him (or rather more likely his club) 20k. The club quite soft too. Had a chance at a home prelim, yet didn't fire a shot at home, getting thumped by 80+ points. Supposedly needed the same throwaway line on insta to fire themselves up, apparently chance of home final not enough (although I suspect their abject humiliation the week before was a good deal more motivating than any social media post). As a result, now need to fly to Sydney instead of playing at home. If anything people should have been taunting Ken with the flying arms motion. Ginnivan has youth as an excuse , he was a child 3 and a bit years ago. Hinkley's childish behaviour on the other hand is off the back of nearly 40 years of adulthood. Also Ginnivan a player, not the senior coach, and not posting on social after a win to taunt the team he's just beaten. How anyone can see their actions as same-same is beyond me.

Shit coach, Shit bloke. Port would do well to part ways with him ASAP. Coaching is a relatively young man's game. Rarely does a bloke approaching 60 get their team a flag. By that age, the old blokes have usually won a few flags, and get moved on to provide false hope at their final destination (Malthouse, Pagan, Clarko for example). Unfortunately for Hinkley he has no flags, in fact right now he has no prelim wins (not to mention straight sets to fill out his list of coaching achievements). His 1-wood is leading good lists to bad finals campaigns.

So to answer the OP, yes Hawthorn did expose a mental fragility, but 'expose' is a bit of a stretch, everyone knew Port and their coach had mental issues before his post-game antics, so it was more a reinforcement of Port's issues than an exposure. The 80+ point loss the weak before laid their weakness pretty bare.

Last edited:
When Dermot Brereton ran through the Essendon huddle it was one of the most memorable and entertaining moments in the sports history. It was awesome!

Imagine what would happen if a player did that today! Be banned for life and sent to a reeducation camp.

Err... that ****wit American player assaulted a staff member from an opposition club recently and nothing happened.

Hinkley as soft as butter. Let a throwaway line on insta completely unhinge him, and cost him (or rather more likely his club) 20k. The club quite soft too. Had a chance at a home prelim, yet didn't fire a shot at home, getting thumped by 80+ points. Supposedly needed the same throwaway line on insta to fire themselves up, apparently chance of home final not enough (although I suspect their abject humiliation the week before was a good deal more motivating than any social media post). As a result, now need to fly to Sydney instead of playing at home. If anything people should have been taunting Ken with the flying arms motion. Ginnivan has youth as an excuse , he was a child 3 and a bit years ago. Hinkley's childish behaviour on the other hand is off the back of nearly 40 years of adulthood. Also Ginnivan a player, not the senior coach, and not posting on social after a win to taunt the team he's just beaten. How anyone can see their actions as same-same is beyond me.

Shit coach, Shit bloke. Port would do well to part ways with him ASAP. Coaching is a relatively young man's game. Rarely does a bloke approaching 60 get their team a flag. By that age, the old blokes have usually won a few flags, and get moved on to provide false hope at their final destination (Malthouse, Pagan, Clarko for example). Unfortunately for Hinkley he has no flags, in fact right now he has no prelim wins (not to mention straight sets to fill out his list of coaching achievements). His 1-wood is leading good lists to bad finals campaigns.

So to answer the OP, yes Hawthorn did expose a mental fragility, but 'expose' is a bit of a stretch, everyone knew Port and their coach had mental issues before his post-game antics, so it was more a reinforcement of Port's issues than a an exposure. The 80+ point loss the weak before laid their weakness pretty bare.

Yes. Would be playing Brisbane at home this week

That will be a bit anti-climatic Round 1 would be a cracker.
Just a bit if a pity it’s unlikely Daddy Donuts would be apart of it. Lose Friday and they will chop of his head. A win v Hawthorn was seen as a bit of a pity by the majority of port fans.

The bloke is mentally cooked. He’ll either gloat or cry dependant on the result.

We’ve seen the “dancing” to the Geelong crowd. We’ve seen the 1-0 1-0 to crows crowds.. then we see the “be kind… ohhh my mental health… then the tears cos his supporters made him cry.

Unhinged is a very good term for his behaviours.

Can we stop pretending like “see u in 14 days” comment to a Swans player, not even referencing Ken or Port is somehow equal to a coach deciding to tee-off on an opposition player after the game?

Hawks players celebrating goals or getting around each other after wins seems to have really upset a few.

But there’s a reason the AFL has given Ken a please explain.
So were you happy with Mitchell’s presser?

Almost embarrassing if you ask me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Back