Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

• Yes

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 49 35.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinkley as soft as butter. Let a throwaway line on insta completely unhinge him, and cost him (or rather more likely his club) 20k. The club quite soft too. Had a chance at a home prelim, yet didn't fire a shot at home, getting thumped by 80+ points. Supposedly needed the same throwaway line on insta to fire themselves up, apparently chance of home final not enough (although I suspect their abject humiliation the week before was a good deal more motivating than any social media post). As a result, now need to fly to Sydney instead of playing at home. If anything people should have been taunting Ken with the flying arms motion. Ginnivan has youth as an excuse , he was a child 3 and a bit years ago. Hinkley's childish behaviour on the other hand is off the back of nearly 40 years of adulthood. Also Ginnivan a player, not the senior coach, and not posting on social after a win to taunt the team he's just beaten. How anyone can see their actions as same-same is beyond me.

Shit coach, Shit bloke. Port would do well to part ways with him ASAP. Coaching is a relatively young man's game. Rarely does a bloke approaching 60 get their team a flag. By that age, the old blokes have usually won a few flags, and get moved on to provide false hope at their final destination (Malthouse, Pagan, Clarko for example). Unfortunately for Hinkley he has no flags, in fact right now he has no prelim wins (not to mention straight sets to fill out his list of coaching achievements). His 1-wood is leading good lists to bad finals campaigns.

So to answer the OP, yes Hawthorn did expose a mental fragility, but 'expose' is a bit of a stretch, everyone knew Port and their coach had mental issues before his post-game antics, so it was more a reinforcement of Port's issues than an exposure. The 80+ point loss the weak before laid their weakness pretty bare.
Shit post, not very smart bloke.

I voted yes but all we really learned is that Sicily and Mitchell are big sooks which we already knew anyway.

That big mean Sam Mitchell guy was mean to the bombers for so long, and then James Sicily played all year with a shoulder so badly injured he couldn't tackle. But he was still really good, and he doesn't like West Toorak at all either.

They're so mean. I'm going to call them sooks....

So were you happy with Mitchell’s presser?

Almost embarrassing if you ask me.

You weren't asking me, but IMO Mitchell led with the idea of backing his captain, but then got a bit carried away (not quite as carried away as old-mate Ken though). Probably should have stopped with "I back our captain sticking up for our players" and left it at that without mentioning Hinkley directly. Probably let the emotion of the loss get to him a little. Mitchell had just watched his side knocked out of finals, but still looked far from unhinged compared to Ken. What was Hinkley's excuse?

The margin in the end flattered Hawthorn.

Hawthorn were a point post away from winning.

Port were hanging on for dear life at the death. Had the game continued for two minutes longer they'd likely have lost by two goals.

Port had more free kicks than Hawthorn.

There's a bit of a pattern here with your posts.

Never let reality get in the way of a good story I guess...

You weren't asking me, but IMO Mitchell led with the idea of backing his captain, but then got a bit carried away (not quite as carried away as old-mate Ken though). Probably should have stopped with "I back our captain sticking up for our players" and left it at that without mentioning Hinkley directly. Probably let the emotion of the loss get to him a little. Mitchell had just watched his side knocked out of finals, but still looked far from unhinged compared to Ken. What was Hinkley's excuse?

Referring to Hinkley as ‘60 year old’ was another knife in the guys back. All be it it a small one compared to the others.

Pointed and intentional

So were you happy with Mitchell’s presser?

Almost embarrassing if you ask me.
We’ve entered some real alternate universe if Mitchell declaring a 50 something year old senior coach should act better after the siren, is “embarrassing”.

It’s almost as stupid as the footy show guys yesterday making out like a senior coach shouldn’t be held to a higher level of expectation than a 21yr old.

Hawthorn seems to have broken a few brains already, and we’ve barely got started.

I don't agree with the AFL fining Hinkley if that's what they do. nothing was even said aggressively like Mitchell claimed in the presser Ken was laughing.

There are so many offended, triggered types in this thread it's embarrassing to read.

Particularly the ones who can't tell the difference between comments on the ground directly after the match is over, and the ones in a press conference and on da socials.

But think about this:

Ken's pantomime ,air plane giggling arguably brought the game into disrepute. It was embarrassing to watch, even forgetting what he said.

But imagine if he started a melee with a pretend airplane post match. The guy is the coach of a football club, not the town drunk.

Hawthorn were a point post away from winning.

Port were hanging on for dear life at the death. Had the game continued for two minutes longer they'd likely have lost by two goals.

Port had more free kicks than Hawthorn.

There's a bit of a pattern here with your posts.

Never let reality get in the way of a good story I guess...

Hawks win 3 quarters.

So that’s one quarter won by port over two home finals

Referring to Hinkley as ‘60 year old’ was another knife in the guys back. All be it it a small one compared to the others.

Pointed and intentional

Probably should have just called him a fat old campaigner.

Apparently it is all just banter, and nothing to see here. If it is ok for the senior coach to directly taunt a player on the losing team while they are coming off the ground (or waiting for their 300 gamer team mate to be chaired off) - which seems to be the general consensus in these Hinkley discussions - I don't see why we should be setting a ceiling on what we deem to be friendly banter :)

Yep I agree with all of this.

Hinkley shouldn’t have done what he did, but he apologised 3 times, I think honestly if Sicily had walked away and ignored it, it would have made Ken look like a goose. Ginnivan wouldn’t give a flying f**k about Hinkleys reaction, he most likely would have been laughing.

Mitchell had time to process what happened and could of handled it better as the leader of your club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve entered some real alternate universe if Mitchell declaring a 50 something year old senior coach should act better after the siren, is “embarrassing”.

It’s almost as stupid as the footy show guys yesterday making out like a senior coach shouldn’t be held to a higher level of expectation than a 21yr old.

Hawthorn seems to have broken a few brains already, and we’ve barely got started.
I think you’re missing the point. It’s the over reaction by the Hawks that have most people talking. Not Hinkleys gesturing.

Probably should have just called him a fat old campaigner.

Apparently it is all just banter, and nothing to see here. If it is ok for the senior coach to directly taunt a player on the losing team while they are coming off the ground (or waiting for their 300 gamer team mate to be chaired off) - which seems to be the general consensus in these Hinkley discussions - I don't see why we should be setting a ceiling on what we deem to be friendly banter :)
Lucky you don’t support Collingwood, you wouldn’t last long!! 🤣🤣

I think you’re missing the point. It’s the over reaction by the Hawks that have most people talking. Not Hinkleys gesturing.
Considering that Port/Ken copped a $20k fine for conduct unbecoming the idea that the Hawks overreacted is a bit rich.

Ken knew the potential to be fined which is why he stopped the presser and made an attempt to apologise

I think he hopes the collateral doesn’t last all week like from the Ginni tweet

But he knew, and all the attempts to sanitise it, well OK

Last edited:
Mitchell had time to process what happened and could of handled it better as the leader of your club.

To be fair to Mitchell, I think he had to rush into the presser. He implied he wanted to spend more time with the team, but the AFL rushed him into the presser before he was ready.

I'd guess Mitchell would probably approach the presser differently if he could do it again, but his performance was a good deal better than Hinkley's, I didn't see any pointing and gesturing at Port players when Sam was out on the field.

I'd also add that a lot of people are saying Hinkley was just doing some harmless gestures. I'm not sure if there is an official statement on what he actually said, but a lot of amateur lip readers are saying it was a lot more than just "Haha, not going to Sydney". Which makes sense , the extended version of the video shows him mouthing off for quite some time. I'm guessing a) there was a reason Hinkley looked sheepish when asked to repeat what he'd said in his presser, and declined to do so (if it was as innocent as people are saying, why not let us know exactly what was said?) and b) The AFL asked people on the field what was said before giving the fine, and the 20k wasn't just for "Not flying to sydney", but some of the other shit that was dribbling out his mouth. People wondering why he got the same fine that Clarko got for his homophobic slur. Well, perhaps the answer is in the details of what was actually said.

You just self identified as being gullible, lacking in insight, and easily led around by footy opinion writers.

So many bell ends here get fired up by trash from serial melters like Kane Cornes and co., it’s embarrassing to read.

it’s sort of funny. But then cringey and weird at the same time.

Not really that much about people inside the club. I think most of the reaction has been to comments from former Hawk players

On the flip side then 1 airplane celebration appears to have broken a few hawthorn brains.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Back