Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

• Yes

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 49 35.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken back pedalling almost immediately tells you he was aware of what would happen not much to do with hodge and lewis
I think he was aware he'd been an ass pretty quickly, probably from Jack's fairly carefree response. I think I saw regret on his face when he turned away from Jack, but that's me using my ESP again.

Again, if you can’t line your team up for the Bruest thing and hold off for a few minutes, don’t line your team up at all.

Ken didn't start it when he was lined up, both teams were away from the guard of honour. Ken made his plane impressions, Ginnivan laughed, Ken turned and walked away and took his place in the guard of honour.

Sicily then started yelling at Ken, who responded with a one word response when Sicily kept going. I'm not sure what Ken said, but he was not looking to keep it going, whilst Sicily couldn't control himself and kept going, even after Breust was on his shoulders.

The question is, why wouldn't Sicily respond? Name a Captain who wouldn't stand up to an opposition coach who is abusing one of their players? Maybe Rozee wouldn't, but Boak certainly would have.

Hell, if someone was abusing your mate, you'd stand up for them yeh?
Abusing? Oh dear…..

I’m amazed you didn’t use the word assault and want to press charges?

Abusing? Oh dear…..

I’m amazed you didn’t use the word assault and want to press charges?
Yes, calling someone a "c--khead" is abuse. Really shouldn't have to explain that.

That is half way through a game. When the game is on go your hardest (within the rules).

Can you imagine what happens if players start fighting after the final siren? Half Ports team would be suspended this week - Hawks are not going to take a backward step - their season is over. What do they care - might as well go full Alistair Lynch.

When the game is over, you shake hands and that's it.

The winners celebrete and the losers commiserate.
People have emotions. Deal with it. It’s his job on the line.

And he did take it.

This all blew up because a senior coach decided to goad a player and club after they’ve just lost a final.

I can only imagine the outcry if the boot was on the other foot, with all the damage Hawthorn have done to so many in these pages over the years.

You can apply all the mental gymnastics you want to, but if you really think that Ginnivan was so deserving of a whack for commenting on Grundy’s instagram it’s bloody laughable when you then make excuses for Hinkley, and don’t even mention Mannagh talking about “2 games left” or Hinkley himself talking about “see you next week” on Thursday.
It’s not just commenting though, is it? It’s not like he said ‘hey mate, really looking forward to seeing you over Christmas’. Stop pretending he didn’t know what he was doing. Social media is public, he knew it. He said something he knew would kick off and get a bite. It did. A grown man gave another grown man a verbal after he got arrogant and mouthed off.

Seriously, you need to stop being so precious. It’s borderline pathetic.

Yeah Hawthorn exposed Ken and the PAFC's mental fragility, moreso just Ken's. He's a nutcase, just watch his presser from Thursday.

The whole thing is really weird. Ken clearly doesn't really know what an instagram comment is and doesn't understand the nuance of the comment from Ginnivan. However if he used that as motivation for his team then good for him and I suppose it technically worked. I'm glad the captain stood up for his young player being abused when they're about to chair off a three time premiership player off though. Ken showed his true colours and it's not pretty for the guy.

It’s not just commenting though, is it? It’s not like he said ‘hey mate, really looking forward to seeing you over Christmas’. Stop pretending he didn’t know what he was doing. Social media is public, he knew it. He said something he knew would kick off and get a bite. It did. A grown man gave another grown man a verbal after he got arrogant and mouthed off.

You really don't understand irony do you?

Here it is again.

Jacks mouthed off(comment on insta) and was arrogant.
Ken Hinkley just gave another man some verbal.

More mental gymnastics to make excuses for the senior coach who should know better.

I think the mental fragility of hawthorn supporters is more in question going by this thread.
Oh did the big bad Hawk supporters argue with you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, they did.

But I think everyone knew it was there, and their antics have reeked of immaturity - so I'm not sure it was exposed as much as it was just verified.

What was more concerning for Hawthorn was that their game style was found out.

Swarm the ball carrier.

It crippled them. Made their good players that have had good seasons look like duds.

There were discussions on here relatively recently about how Hawthorn would look once the opposition put work into them. Well we saw that last night. They didn't have the answers.

Port took away their ball movement, which killed them.

That's the part that was exposed. And that's the part that will be interesting to see how and if Hawthorn can overcome it.
As a Hawthorn supporter, IMO, this is the correct take. This year was a free hit and a huge development year. Mitchell gave the players freedom to get out there and enjoy their football. The club has intentionally engaged with its supporter base, and we've loved every moment of it.

The team still has gaps to fill and to develop the hard edge required for heavy-duty finals. What happened against Port was simply the answer to the question. That being said, they only lost by 3 points and could easily have had the chips fall their way. I don't think that portrays any "mental fragility".

I suspect this summer training will be more focussed on toughening up the contested side of their game.

We also need a strong contested marking forward. Bring on 2025!

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here it is again.

Jacks mouthed off(comment on insta) and was arrogant.
Ken Hinkley just gave another man some verbal.

More mental gymnastics to make excuses for the senior coach who should know better.
Ah, and again we pardon the grown man because he wears the colours of the team you support.

Ken didn't start it when he was lined up, both teams were away from the guard of honour. Ken made his plane impressions, Ginnivan laughed, Ken turned and walked away and took his place in the guard of honour.

Sicily then started yelling at Ken, who responded with a one word response when Sicily kept going. I'm not sure what Ken said, but he was not looking to keep it going, whilst Sicily couldn't control himself and kept going, even after Breust was on his shoulders.
Semantics

So you are saying the teams came together, Hinckley mouthed off, them motioned his players int honour formation?

Cos that’s not the order it happened on fox replay. Not edited just raw

Last edited:

Strictly speaking, the see you in 14 days should have been 13. Maybe we are all up the wrong tree?

It’s so offensive…. I mean, if I was making, what, $500k playing footy and got called a ******** for getting lippy on social media I reckon I might find an iota of resilience to get through that awful taunt.
Spot on, this and the fact that Ginnivan wouldn’t give two shits about it. He has probably already forgotten, sipping cocktails somewhere whilst people back home melt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Back