Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

• Yes

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 49 35.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on ya captain Siss thought he was pretty composed given the situation and trust me has changed his ways a lot from when he started!

We will all continue to go around in circles but Ken was the instigator and very provocative straight after the final siren. No one can deny this which is why he was fined as it could have escalated very quickly which is being overlooked.
I mostly agree.

I reckon Sicily could've copped a whack too but you're right McCartney being a tool has spooked the League.

Crowds will heckle Jack for this but the fella doesn't GAF.

They'll heckle Ken for this, but I reckon he thinks he won this one.

They'll heckle James for this too. It'll be a test for him.

As a Hawthorn supporter, IMO, this is the correct take. This year was a free hit and a huge development year. Mitchell gave the players freedom to get out there and enjoy their football. The club has intentionally engaged with its supporter base, and we've loved every moment of it.

The team still has gaps to fill and to develop the hard edge required for heavy-duty finals. What happened against Port was simply the answer to the question. That being said, they only lost by 3 points and could easily have had the chips fall their way. I don't think that portrays any "emotional fragility".

I suspect this summer training will be more focussed on toughening up the contested side of their game.

We also need a strong contested marking forward. Bring on 2025!

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
Fair call, see you in six months.

...wait why is Ken outside my house mocking me?

I mostly agree.

I reckon Sicily could've copped a whack too but you're right McCartney being a tool has spooked the League.

Sic was fine and he already cops it so not sure he will care.

Gini will learn from it. Hawthorn will tell him that whilst it was fine getting a meal the night before a game - maybe not the pub, and whilst it is fine messaging an ex teammate - maybe a DM. He does need to temper his behaviour a bit and this could be a proper wake up call - he hurt the team this time.

Kenny - I don’t care.

Sic was fine and he already cops it so not sure he will care.

Gini will learn from it. Hawthorn will tell him that whilst it was fine getting a meal the night before a game - maybe not the pub, and whilst it is fine messaging an ex teammate - maybe a DM. He does need to temper his behaviour a bit and this could be a proper wake up call - he hurt the team this time.

Kenny - I don’t care.

So a temperance restaurant you reckon?

Ah, and again we pardon the grown man because he wears the colours of the team you support.
Of course 99.9% of Hawthorn fans/people support Siss for the way he protected Jack. It’s no different to Gawn who I really admire and respect as a captain ……. for the way he has protected his club, coach and several of the Dees players over the years. That would be a common trait among captains in any sport.

I mostly agree.

He was caught in the moment …… straight after missing the shot and dealing with the loss. Like Sam said he was just protecting one of his players.

Siss is use to the heckling and has definitely matured has come a long way since his early days of being sucked in by the opposition. Don’t see sides trying to do it anymore.

Last edited:
please read the Damien Barrett article
John Candy No GIF by Laff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow please read the Damien Barrett article on the AFL website regarding the matter you Hawthorn sooky bums.
That article is whole bunch of waffle concluding with an almighty sook that the Hawks played for free kicks.

Barrett - like many in the media - is still trying to get over the embarrassment of calling Hawthorn tankers. He has been completely unsighted for 15 weeks - another happy to mouth off after the siren. Coward

We know the gist of it, if a "****wit" or "dickhead" was thrown in there, it's nothing most Aussie blokes haven't heard here and there. Oh but it's a work place and an older man was involved! I wish I could pretend to get worked up about that, I really do.

So Ginni said "see you in 14 days" to his friend on social - not directly addressing any port players - before the game and you think this is the same as a team's senior coach going out onto the field after he's just won, and taunting a member of the losing team, calling them a ****wit or dickhead after they've lost? You really think this is acceptable behaviour from a senior coach and can't understand why he was fined?

So I assume you wouldn't be offended if I said that I think that makes you a bit of a dickhead, and perhaps even a complete ****wit. To me that sounds like an offensive post, but I guess you'll just chalk it up to friendly banter.

Ken Hinkley showed in real time for the whole footy world to see, why Port has achieved nothing with him at the helm. Making a prelim final and getting the chance to play in a GF and win a flag isn't enough motivation for Uncle Kenny. A random social media post that had nothing to do with him, however..
Just a complete embarrassment to the PAFC
Looking from the outside in, that there is clearly a massive overreaction. The only real embarrassment is the club having to put up with fans like you. I for one stand with Ken who has been placed under enormous pressure and hope that he and his players, who clearly play for him, manage to beat the Swans this Friday.

What was more concerning for Hawthorn was that their game style was found out.

Swarm the ball carrier.

It crippled them. Made their good players that have had good seasons look like duds.

There were discussions on here relatively recently about how Hawthorn would look once the opposition put work into them. Well we saw that last night. They didn't have the answers.

Port took away their ball movement, which killed them.

That's the part that was exposed. And that's the part that will be interesting to see how and if Hawthorn can overcome it.
Now imagine Sicily's kick had sailed 6 inches further to the right.

Now imagine Sicily's kick had sailed 6 inches further to the right.
And what?

Hawthorn beat a depleted side that were massive underdogs and exposed their underbelly?

Versus Hawthorn lost to a depleted side that were massive underdogs and exposed their underbelly?

Either way, the comp saw what happened. This isn't even a criticism. It's just a fact. Hawthorn at some point, would become the hunted. They've been the hunter all year.

As Craig Macrae said..."Yada Yada Yada, it's much easier to be the hunter than it is to be the hunted". Or something like that.

My question late in the season was whether when this finally happened to Hawthorn, which it inevitably would - could they counter it?

And they couldn't. It happens.

Sometimes, like the Dogs in 2016, the Hawks in their first flag, Collingwood in 2010, and other examples - by the time they get worked out, it's too late. They've pinched the flag.

Other times, like St Kilda in 09, and Hawthorn this year - they get worked out right at the death.

It happens.

Other times, like St Kilda in 09, and Hawthorn this year - they get worked out right at the death.

I hardly think a 3 point loss with a missed set shot right at the end when playing against the team that finished second playing on their home deck and motivated by an 80+ point humiliation the week before is "got worked out".

You also don't give Port enough credit. Port were definitely the better team on the day, and the level of pressure they brought would have troubled any team. If they'd brought that the week before, they might be playing Lions in Adelaide this week.

Our game plan might not work as well on narrow grounds, Cats shut down our run in a similar manner when we played them at the Cattery. Oppo coaches would have seen that, but quite a few teams between those two games struggled to do the same, especially when we played at home. Hopefully next year sides will continue to struggle to do so at our home ground. The coaches and players will also adjust , and I'm sure they'll be looking at improving how they respond under pressure , especially on grounds with narrower wings and less space to spread into.

True but we could also imagine that Hawthorn were not gifted five goals from poor free kicks?

We could also imagine that perhaps Port got some gifts going there way too? Or that perhaps some of those 5 frees you are referencing were not clearly wrong. AFL admitted to five Hawk goal-generating mistakes in that game yet?

I hardly think a 3 point loss with a missed set shot right at the end when playing against the team that finished second playing on their home deck and motivated by an 80+ point humiliation the week before is "got worked out".
Of course it is.

A lot of people were tipping Hawthorn to win the flag.

Port beat Hawthorn via technique. They were the hunter. Hawthorn had not been the hunted this season. Port dismantled a team in better form, that were strongly favoured to beat them.

It was literally a case of Port working them out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Back