Society/Culture Dinner with...

Remove this Banner Ad

Boris Johnson

yeeehaaaarrrrrrr. We need some spankable ladies for BoJo.
020648-mosley-hooker-tells-all-on-039-nazi-orgy-039-.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1302218/ALAIN-DE-BOTTON-Who-cares-going-rain-Thursday.html#ixzz22BGvPRah

We need prescriptions and rules to get us to the natural and raw parts of our characters. Consider the record of the greatest conversation in the Western tradition, Plato's Symposium. The evening is as minutely choreographed as a piece of theatre....

snip

...A few years back, Theodore Zeldin, the acclaimed academic and president of the Oxford Muse Foundation, tried to raise the art of conversation in our own times when he began a series of public meals in Oxford. Groups of strangers came together and, under his gentle but firm direction, agreed to lay aside their inhibitions and explore experiences, ideas, regrets and aspirations.

Zeldin provided diners with a specially designed conversation menu that he thought would help people get the most from talking to a stranger. It started by getting diners to look at questions like: which of my ambitions is likely to remain unfulfilled? Or is sex overrated?

Seriously good thread and responses. A possible seven guests of my own...

1. Jeff Bridges
2. Keith Richards
3. Shaun Micallef
4. Stephen Fry
5. Fidel Castro
6. Any one of Whitlam, Hawke or Howard
7. Rose Byrne. She can sit next to me.

Quite hard to name just seven. Definitely feel I ought to invite more women though.

Came to post and found many names that I would have included, but I would choose:

Michio Kaku - to talk about physics
Keith Richards - for the stories
Dalai Lama - for the truth
Subcommendante Marcos - for the revolution
Mitchell Feigenbaum - for the maths and the crazy
Courtney Taylor Taylor - for the acoustic tunes and the drugs
Julian Assange - for the intrigue, and to get him out of GB
Ross Noble - for the jokes and anarchy

Yuck.

Give him 5 minutes and he'll start telling me my choice of cutlery is representative of some hidden sexual fantasy, that I'm a capitalist pig and then spend the rest of the dinner wanking his droopy old penis raw over Hegel and Marx.

I think I have heard someone go on over the nature of sporks and their culinary utility http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spork
stock-photo-black-plastic-spork-isolated-on-a-white-background-54384193.jpg

sporks go down with avocado and beetroot as commodities of the 70s dinner parties your parents had. Maybe swingers dinner parties too, to stay on message.

I figure that makes Wallace the snitch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I figure that makes Wallace the snitch.
I already thought of that, but could not be far ked adding to the post, when the mind had not worked out.

I dont think DFW.

I reckon Pinter. He would give me the truth, and tell me I am a fraud. Be a compliment from Harold, even the knife. honesty not compromised. Gotta go with Pinter

Seriously good thread and responses. A possible seven guests of my own...

1. Jeff Bridges
2. Keith Richards
3. Shaun Micallef
4. Stephen Fry
5. Fidel Castro
6. Any one of Whitlam, Hawke or Howard
7. Rose Byrne. She can sit next to me.

Quite hard to name just seven. Definitely feel I ought to invite more women though.

The only condition upon which I'd invite Howard to a dinner party would be if I were trying to assemble a squad of the dullest people imaginable. Having spent an hour over drinks with him a few years back, it is obvious that if you were to invite him, you should be prepared to carry the conversation on his behalf. The man is totally incapable of the art of small-talk, which is surely a prerequisite for any dinner party. A meal with him would be filled with series of embarrassing silences.

Contrarily, he is also the most accomplished public speaker I've ever heard. At the function mentioned above he was the keynote speaker and spoke flawlessly, without hesitation, without notes, for forty minutes. I guess that's why he became a politician, or maybe he became a good speaker because he was a politician.

As to the question:

1) Barry Humphries - Australia's funniest comedian and raconteur.

2) John Clarke - second funniest, though a NZ'r.

3) Terry Godfrey - Australia's foremost philosophy educator.

4) Bernie Quinlan - one of the nicest people I've met. Played a bit of footy. An antidote to the eggheads.

5) Chopper Read - So many questions I'd like to ask him - would add a bit of colour as well. Would have security on hand, just in case he decided to have a drink or thirty. The security wouldn't be joining the dinner.

6) Andrew Fraser - Defrocked lawyer and soon-to-be millionaire.

7) Any woman likely to be able to put up with me for a night.

Edit: My mate, and occasional poster, Dees31 would cook the meal and join the party afterwards. His wife would select the wines.

skilts,
The only condition upon which I'd invite Howard to a dinner party would be if I were trying to assemble a squad of the dullest people imaginable. Having spent an hour over drinks with him a few years back, it is obvious that if you were to invite him, you should be prepared to carry the conversation on his behalf. The man is totally incapable of the art of small-talk which is surely a prerequisite for any dinner party. A meal with him would be filled with series of embarrassing silences.​

How about Janette?

4) Bernie Quinlan - one of the nicest people I've met. Played a bit of footy. An antidote to the eggheads.​

tough basketballer (is oxymoron) down in the sandringham community league. Played bball like football, and showed alot of whippersnappers like me, the bball equivalent of a shirtfront. Bourgeois bayside private shool kids werent used to mixing it up in the key with a footballer.

5) Chopper Read - So many questions I'd like to ask him - would add a bit of colour as well. Would have security on hand, just in case he decided to have a drink or thirty. The security wouldn't be joining the dinner.​

Bojangles

1. Yalda Hakim - Just because
2. Billy Joel - For the music
3. Michelle Jenneke - For the dancing (thanks blackcat)
4. George Bush Snr - Many questions I have for him
5. Carly Simon - Tell me who that song is about Carly?
6. Gus Gould - Good Bloke
7. Queen Elizabeth - Get her drunk and see what she has to say.

As to the question:

1) Barry Humphries - Australia's funniest comedian and raconteur.

2) John Clarke - second funniest, though an NZ'r.

3) Terry Godfrey - Australia's foremost philosophy educator.

4) Bernie Quinlan - one of the nicest people I've met. Played a bit of footy. An antidote to the eggheads.

5) Chopper Read - So many questions I'd like to ask him - would add a bit of colour as well. Would have security on hand, just in case he decided to have a drink or thirty. The security wouldn't be joining the dinner.

6) Andrew Fraser - Defrocked lawyer and soon-to-be millionaire.

7) Any woman likely to be able to put up with me for a night.

Bad mix there skilts.

Humphries and Clarke would be carving up Read and Fraser before you even finished the prawn cocktails.

The woman is either a saint for putting up with him, or the most deviously manipulative harridan who ever lived in Australia. I lean towards the latter depiction. Not someone with whom I'd enjoy dining.

forgive the murdoch tabloid http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/melanie-howards-marriage-misery/story-e6frewt0-1111118656784

His daughter Melainie is copping it for the sins of her parents. A CLUTZ partner walked out on her and her young infant with some floozy.

Bad mix there skilts.

Humphries and Clarke would be carving up Read and Fraser before you even finished the prawn cocktails.

Maybe so, but the party would hardly be dull - the mortal sin would be for this to happen. Also, the guests I've nominated would make it more or less unnecessary me to say anything at all. With Dees31 cooking, we won't be eating prawn cocktails.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Dinner with...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back