D1 Division 1 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Banyule have always had a strong independent junior program.
if Banyule was in Div 3, IAFC wouldn’t be losing players they have lost to BCC. These player leave, because theirVFL clubs insist they play Div 1, nothing really anything to do with the NFL.

Grog may bring an extra 20-30 spectators. It’s no panacea.

I doubt anyone really knows what the outcome will be, but again I would suggest the Ivanhoe version would be a build much like the Turtles than what we have seen with Banyule. I think playing more locally based teams is part of the attraction, more than the ability to sell alcohol. That said, it would be nice to ask who's shout is it ....after 3/4 time at a game of footy 😉

Chump :trophy:

Tough day at GE. Seniors sneaking in with a goal in the last minute. UHS are a very good side. Win for the girls and walkover for u19A. The U19b, reserves and thirds lost. A start to the return of some players coming in the next few week. Probably the same for a lot of clubs

Tough day at GE. Seniors sneaking in with a goal in the last minute. UHS are a very good side. Win for the girls and walkover for u19A. The U19b, reserves and thirds lost. A start to the return of some players coming in the next few week. Probably the same for a lot of clubs
Could you ask them to stay away a bit longer Phant? 😂😂😂

Ours return in 2024 .... look out!!

Chump🏆

GE v Uhs-Vu - Uni very, very good last week against us and will push the combine all the way you would think. But at home the GE to get the points..
Ivanhoe v Prahran - the blues are starting to get rolling and I dont think our current squad (that we can get on the park) will be enough to stop them this week.
Preston v OP - great will by the Bullants last week and they will be up and about, but OP will not let this slip as they stay in the hunt for fourth spot.
West v Therry - this will be a great match with so much riding on the result. A win for West and you would think that is enough to not be in the relegation conversation any longer. Therry looking to stay in the hunt for finals action. West at home for me.
Oakleigh v Kew - another great match up. Flip! I think the Krushers will get is done at home.

Have a great weekend all.

Chump :trophy:
Caught 2 on you in one week Chimp! You ok down there in the humpy or bit wet and muddy for you?
Are you boys still hoping to avails relegation from Div 1 to Div 3?

Caught 2 on you in one week Chimp! You ok down there in the humpy or bit wet and muddy for you?
Are you boys still hoping to avails relegation from Div 1 to Div 3?
Well played Brainy One, good tipping. Not sure about the weather as I've been on the GC for a little waddle (Half-Marathon) so it's sunny and mid 20's here my friend.

I'd suggest we are trying to win as many games as we can. Where we end up will be what it is. Hopefully get a few back after the next bye to make us little more competitive 🙏🤞

Chump🏆

Had a family lunch close by Packer Park so took the opportunity to watch a bit of the game down there. UHS had plenty of opportunities but weren’t able to capitalise. Glen Eira are a very well structured side. Spoke to a couple UHS supporters, they reckon they had no one out and were at full strength.

Glen Eira well and truly flag favourites now with so many to come back.

Had a family lunch close by Packer Park so took the opportunity to watch a bit of the game down there. UHS had plenty of opportunities but weren’t able to capitalise. Glen Eira are a very well structured side. Spoke to a couple UHS supporters, they reckon they had no one out and were at full strength.

Glen Eira well and truly flag favourites now with so many to come back.
About 8 still out at GE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Williamstown CYMS has now been with the Amateurs for almost 40 years, the only and lonely westside club and happy to fly the flag for the Ammos.
The CYs are definitely a success story in the Ammos, as are Fitzroy. Each have a strong alignment with a strong junior club, and without being too simplistic, are in a socio-economic area where $$ for footy is not as much of a factor. The footy landscape in the northern suburbs is very different.

My young fella went and watched Greensborough vs Monty yesterday. Why? Not to drink grog, but because it was two local clubs playing and quite apart from the footy being a high standard, the atmosphere was great because it was so local. There was a really big crowd (he estimated several thousand), and mates and ex-teammates of both clubs could catch up (for a beer if they wanted) and watch a great game. Imagine Greensborough playing Mentone, Prahran or South Yarra. It would be totally different.

The CYs are definitely a success story in the Ammos, as are Fitzroy. Each have a strong alignment with a strong junior club, and without being too simplistic, are in a socio-economic area where $$ for footy is not as much of a factor. The footy landscape in the northern suburbs is very different.

My young fella went and watched Greensborough vs Monty yesterday. Why? Not to drink grog, but because it was two local clubs playing and quite apart from the footy being a high standard, the atmosphere was great because it was so local. There was a really big crowd (he estimated several thousand), and mates and ex-teammates of both clubs could catch up (for a beer if they wanted) and watch a great game. Imagine Greensborough playing Mentone, Prahran or South Yarra. It would be totally different.
Try Heidelberg West playing Kinglake.

Distance would be the same.

Great Game on the weekend against UHS VU. They are a great running side and have great fitness. Looking forward to the return match later in the year.

Interesting decision in the last quarter with 2 players going forward the ball and colliding. Both players received head high contact but the umpire paid the free Kick to UHS. This was a great shock to one of our stalwart supporters who let him know her thoughts. The umpire then paid a 50 metre penalty against her which could have cost the game. There was no swearing involved and I wouldn't have thought the umpire would have felt threatened by a 70+ year old lady.

Great Game on the weekend against UHS VU. They are a great running side and have great fitness. Looking forward to the return match later in the year.

Interesting decision in the last quarter with 2 players going forward the ball and colliding. Both players received head high contact but the umpire paid the free Kick to UHS. This was a great shock to one of our stalwart supporters who let him know her thoughts. The umpire then paid a 50 metre penalty against her which could have cost the game. There was no swearing involved and I wouldn't have thought the umpire would have felt threatened by a 70+ year old lady.
Can they do that

Try Heidelberg West playing Kinglake.

Distance would be the same.
Indeed. There will always be anomalies. This year Ivanhoe actually haven't got it too bad. They have Kew and Preston. Royal Park and Glenroy are close-ish. They do however have to travel to Carnegie, Oakleigh, East Malvern and Mount Martha !!

If Kinglake win the flag, and Lower Plenty come down, and Ivanhoe moved leagues, next year they would have West Heidelberg, Lower, Laurimar, Mernda, Eltham, Preston (Fitzroy Stars), Kilmore, Reservoir and Lalor (it might only be once if the latter two merge). It's true that most of these clubs are not right on Ivanhoe's doorstep, in fact Division3 is probably the most spread out, but they are all north of the river and the NFNL seems to have more rivalries than the VAFA does.

I'm not anti-VAFA. Far from it. I am however realistic that the landscape of the local footy has changed, is changing, and clubs have to change with it.

Indeed. There will always be anomalies. This year Ivanhoe actually haven't got it too bad. They have Kew and Preston. Royal Park and Glenroy are close-ish. They do however have to travel to Carnegie, Oakleigh, East Malvern and Mount Martha !!

If Kinglake win the flag, and Lower Plenty come down, and Ivanhoe moved leagues, next year they would have West Heidelberg, Lower, Laurimar, Mernda, Eltham, Preston (Fitzroy Stars), Kilmore, Reservoir and Lalor (it might only be once if the latter two merge). It's true that most of these clubs are not right on Ivanhoe's doorstep, in fact Division3 is probably the most spread out, but they are all north of the river and the NFNL seems to have more rivalries than the VAFA does.

I'm not anti-VAFA. Far from it. I am however realistic that the landscape of the local footy has changed, is changing, and clubs have to change with it.
I would have to agree with that summary Mappa - covers most of the discussions being had. I'd add to that travel time and distance can also be a little different dependant on various factors (games or events around MCG).

Anyway, it is a combination of factors being considered and weighed up. To suggest it is just one thing is not how our committee have been talking about it. Pros and cons for all options I would suggest.

Chump 🏆

Remove this Banner Ad

D1 Division 1 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back