D1 Division 1 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Jason :)

No seriously, a couple of things.....

I can bleat on here as a follower of Ivanhoe as much as I like, but I admit I am not across all of the information that committee or others would have at their disposal. I only get answers to questions I ask them.

Secondly, it is my understanding in talking with the guys on Saturday that the case WAS put forward over a long period of time (some 5 weeks of discussions i've been told), but ultimately the request to allow him to play ammos was declined by the VAFA. So the process has actually happened, a decision made and the article you refer to may not have everything in it ie: an open invitation to a case already closed is not really an open invitation is it?

As for what is within current rules and what is not - I agree with you AM. Giving a person a $100K job would NEVER be seen as 'encouragement' to play in the VAFA. We would have a mass exodus!! I think the point posters are making is that we ALL know how things work in the ammos around what is allowed and what is not, but on face value this particular case looks to be a bit .........how did Reddick describe it in the article.....unique! I think I will stick with my original thoughts ....ridiculous.

Chump :trophy:
Now Champ, I enjoy your posting but I must have missed where you've mentioned your club has had discussions with the VAFA in order to find a resolution to the matter. It certainly doesn't tally with the comments from Reddick in the transcript I posted. I guess those on the outside will never know where the truth lies. I've not seen the reasons the VAFA gave for the refusal. If you know what they are please enlighten us.

My guess is the VAFA has tightened the rules following the Milne fiasco whereby a player plays as an amateur one week, gets a temporary permit to fill his boots the next, then returns as an amateur the following week. Made a laughing stock of amateur footy. Perhaps you've been caught in the tightening of what was a loose arrangement.

Sadly some clubs get their jollies from manipulating the system. For example, I wonder whether a club that allegedly takes their juniors for free meals is within the rules or the spirit of them.

Now Champ, I enjoy your posting but I must have missed where you've mentioned your club has had discussions with the VAFA in order to find a resolution to the matter. It certainly doesn't tally with the comments from Reddick in the transcript I posted. I guess those on the outside will never know where the truth lies. I've not seen the reasons the VAFA gave for the refusal. If you know what they are please enlighten us.

My guess is the VAFA has tightened the rules following the Milne fiasco whereby a player plays as an amateur one week, gets a temporary permit to fill his boots the next, then returns as an amateur the following week. Made a laughing stock of amateur footy. Perhaps you've been caught in the tightening of what was a loose arrangement.

Sadly some clubs get their jollies from manipulating the system. For example, I wonder whether a club that allegedly takes their juniors for free meals is within the rules or the spirit of them.
Surely wooing them with a meal is no different from the old boys clubs offering jobs. Not much meat left on the bone you are gnawing. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Surely wooing them with a meal is no different from the old boys clubs offering jobs. Not much meat left on the bone you are gnawing. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Not just wooing, Phanto, if the allegation is right the free nosh-ups happen more often. One very recent is the allegation.

One of your examples has a tick, the other hasn't.

Not just wooing, Phanto, if the allegation is right the free nosh-ups happen more often. One very recent is the allegation.

One of your examples has a tick, the other hasn't.
Really not interested in your ticks or crosses. Again look at your own clubs sins if you are from Ormond who forced GE into a corner with juniors. Oh yes there will be an insistence that it was the junior club but all the same coloured apples in the basket.

No budget for a free Parma in the deep ormond pockets? Perhaps a bit less time chasing ex afl players required.

Really not interested in your ticks or crosses. Again look at your own clubs sins if you are from Ormond who forced GE into a corner with juniors. Oh yes there will be an insistence that it was the junior club but all the same coloured apples in the basket.
Obviously, your club isn't interested in ticks and crosses in the context we are canvassing. Thanks! Confessions are good for the soul.:think:

Haven't been to the Golden Arches in a while. What's the food like there these days?

Obviously, your club isn't interested in ticks and crosses in the context we are canvassing. Thanks! Confessions are good for the soul.:think:

Haven't been to the Golden Arches in a while. What's the food like there these days?
Really scaping the bottom of the barrel now.

Glen Eira have an identity and big deal if they have a come and try it day and sling for a bbq and drinks! Huge crime that?

You all need to let it go. The Phantom needs to consider not giving you oxygen!

Glen Eira have an identity and big deal if they have a come and try it day and sling for a bbq and drinks! Huge crime that?

Yes mate I need to have more restraint. Back to footy. Fourth spot looks interesting I predict Prahran might sneak in. Also going to be tough for the bottom two to stave of relegation. Travellers and weddings the bane of football clubs. Good to see the crowd at the luncheon Saturday. Five past GE presidents attended.

Think you'll find my interactions with Phanto have been relatively scant. But getting things right isn't your strong point.

You know zero about the issue at hand, yet in a typical manner, you barge in.

And leave Phanto alone, he's entitled to express his viewpoint.

Think you'll find my interactions with Phanto have been relatively scant. But getting things right isn't your strong point.

You know zero about the issue at hand, yet in a typical manner, you barge in.

And leave Phanto alone, he's entitled to express his viewpoint.
As a President overseeing a couple of mergers

Sorry AM - I don't have any further detail, only that I spoke to someone who 'would know' and that was what he told me. Apart from that, no Thursday drinking club at Ivanhoe this week for me to get my updates.

On another note in relation to to all the banter around meals and the like on this forum ..... will Ivanhoe get in trouble for shouting players free pizzas at last Saturday nights function? We don't want to do anything wrong that would see us as breaching ammo status! 🍕🍕🍕

Chump 🏆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry AM - I don't have any further detail, only that I spoke to someone who 'would know' and that was what he told me. Apart from that, no Thursday drinking club at Ivanhoe this week for me to get my updates.

On another note in relation to to all the banter around meals and the like on this forum ..... will Ivanhoe get in trouble for shouting players free pizzas at last Saturday nights function? We don't want to do anything wrong that would see us as breaching ammo status! 🍕🍕🍕

Chump 🏆
Always enjoy reading your stuff, Champ, even those of the ridiculous for comic effect. At least, I hope the last matter in your post is for that purpose, otherwise, I'd be concerned about your cognition.;)

As to the first issue, all I've been attempting to determine is what the facts are. No criticism of you cos you are not in the engine room, but all you've put out there is hearsay. I've had my pings at the VAFA too, but Reddick is no fool and I don't believe the Selwood call was ad hoc. They'd leave themselves wide open if that was the case. So we really have no real idea of where the truth lies.

As I've posted, purely as a guess, the VAFA has been stung by the rightful criticism of allowing players to fill their boots one week and return to being amateurs the next. And in tightening that loose arrangement they have extended it to include any player once registered with a club. But I'd love to know.

And drawing a comparison with the VFL arrangement which allows young players to try out at a higher level is a false equivalence.

As to the ridiculous. Of course, the pizza bizo provided for your players after games or training isn't an issue. Just an advance on pie nights.

The issue is a club inducing another club's players en mass to defect, part of which was a nosh-up. Knowingly wrecking a club's junior program. Unethical and shameful in my view. Stop, take a breath, and put your club in that position. If you weren't mightily pissed I'd be surprised.

Then we have a former club stalwart and another person who I'm told is a coach coming onto the forum gloating about what any reasonable person would consider reprehensible behaviour.

Hope the rant clears up both matters.

PS. Still prefer the other Ivanhoe, even though they are old school.:laughing:

That could see it all happen Morty ..... the players did really enjoy the free pizza 🍕

Chump 🏆

PS - could be a great opportunity for a new sponsor within the Ivanhoe area also 🍕😂
Hey chump, have a gander outside your humpy and see if the boys are training tonight? And who do they play this week? Oh that's right the entire competition has the weekend off

Always enjoy reading your stuff, Champ, even those of the ridiculous for comic effect. At least, I hope the last matter in your post is for that purpose, otherwise, I'd be concerned about your cognition.;)

As to the first issue, all I've been attempting to determine is what the facts are. No criticism of you cos you are not in the engine room, but all you've put out there is hearsay. I've had my pings at the VAFA too, but Reddick is no fool and I don't believe the Selwood call was ad hoc. They'd leave themselves wide open if that was the case. So we really have no real idea of where the truth lies.

As I've posted, purely as a guess, the VAFA has been stung by the rightful criticism of allowing players to fill their boots one week and return to being amateurs the next. And in tightening that loose arrangement they have extended it to include any player once registered with a club. But I'd love to know.

And drawing a comparison with the VFL arrangement which allows young players to try out at a higher level is a false equivalence.

As to the ridiculous. Of course, the pizza bizo provided for your players after games or training isn't an issue. Just an advance on pie nights.

The issue is a club inducing another club's players en mass to defect, part of which was a nosh-up. Knowingly wrecking a club's junior program. Unethical and shameful in my view. Stop, take a breath, and put your club in that position. If you weren't mightily pissed I'd be surprised.

Then we have a former club stalwart and another person who I'm told is a coach coming onto the forum gloating about what any reasonable person would consider reprehensible behaviour.

Hey AM

Curious to hear your thoughts on how a program that begins at u19s is supposed to attract players. My understanding is that GE tried for years to begin a junior club after running an Auskick program. The other local clubs in the area banded together and said there wasn’t enough kids in the area for a new junior club. Some of these clubs have 3 junior teams per age group. Is that club supposed to resign to having no young talent to feed into their senior program? Is it inappropriate behaviour to make a relationship with a school in the area and develop an u19 program. I wouldn’t have thought so.

The fact is that if the junior program hadn’t been blocked, the focus would be on getting GE juniors through to senior footy, without a junior program the young players have to come from somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hey AM

Curious to hear your thoughts on how a program that begins at u19s is supposed to attract players. My understanding is that GE tried for years to begin a junior club after running an Auskick program. The other local clubs in the area banded together and said there wasn’t enough kids in the area for a new junior club. Some of these clubs have 3 junior teams per age group. Is that club supposed to resign to having no young talent to feed into their senior program? Is it inappropriate behaviour to make a relationship with a school in the area and develop an u19 program. I wouldn’t have thought so.

The fact is that if the junior program hadn’t been blocked, the focus would be on getting GE juniors through to senior footy, without a junior program the young players have to come from somewhere.

You have hit the nail on the head. None of these complainants want to remember the culprits that prevented GE from having juniors. When the worm turned they cried like babies. This was created by the selfish clubs from the onset. These people have done nothing but denigrated GE, it’s coach and it’s name. Well done 31.

Hi AM,

A couple of things and I'll keep it brief as it looks like you have some other forum admirers to chat with 😉

1/ Yes, Pizza reference was a poor attempt at humour.

2/ Yes it does look like a tightening of the rules - agreed. But I can see some inconsistency in that players who are or have been registered with another club - before (NT) or during (VFL) - the VAFA season still seem to be outliners to the Selwood situation. Ridiculous ruling by the VAFA IMHO.

3/ Amateur status is amateur status - not dependant on age. So why not say to these kids - no payment IF you want to play in ammo's if not selected at VFL level.

4/ We had a local club pay two colts coaches from our affiliated junior club to take the vast majority of the players to their club some 8 years ago - we have never recovered.

Anyway - enough from me - I'm going to get a 🍕

Chump 🏆

Last edited:
You have hit the nail on the head. None of these complainants want to remember the culprits that prevented GE from having juniors. When the worm turned they cried like babies. This was created by the selfish clubs from the onset. These people have done nothing but denigrated GE, it’s coach and it’s name. Well done 31.
You really are a cooker . Tell us how many clubs have merged and how many were you part of , but you never answer . What is your true home ground ? it's not Packer Park , what was it old boy

You really are a cooker . Tell us how many clubs have merged and how many were you part of , but you never answer . What is your true home ground ? it's not Packer Park , what was it old boy

Cmon mate. Getting a bit personal now isn't it?

Phantom has served his club over many years as have you- surely the one thing we can agree on is that is worth honouring not abuse?

Even AM deserves praise for being a passionate ormond man regardless of what he chooses to throw my way. Like the players do on the field- play hard but play the ball.

Cmon mate. Getting a bit personal now isn't it?

Phantom has served his club over many years as have you- surely the one thing we can agree on is that is worth honouring not abuse?

Even AM deserves praise for being a passionate ormond man regardless of what he chooses to throw my way. Like the players do on the field- play hard but play the ball.
So how many and i really do admire his loyalty , he just needs to get his facts right about the juniors , i know as a senior club some would at a junior level deny a club juniors , but PS DOESN'T WANT TO GET IT. The SMJFL is a pathetic body

Hey AM

Well said, great effort by GE and their executive to outGUN a few other local clubs who were actually sitting on their hands thinking they they had an monopoly in the area.

That could see it all happen Morty ..... the players did really enjoy the free pizza

Chump

PS - could be a great opportunity for a new sponsor within the Ivanhoe area also

Hi all
I’m a supporter of a few different ammo teams for various reasons - one of these Parkside.. I’m intrigued as to why Ivanhoe would consider in any way moving to the NFL? To pay players? To drink cans during the game? Parkside have gone from strength to strength since coming back to the VAFA with really strong links to the junior club .. a great place to be at the moment . It seems the weaker the junior club links (see Northcote/Northcote Park which have no link as far as I know) the greater the pull to a league like the NFL .. I know parkside would never go back and I’m really intrigued as to why it’s even on the table for Ivanhoe ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

D1 Division 1 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back