D2 Division 2 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 8 Preview

Prahran over the Gryphs by 21 Pts (I don’t expect the Four Blues to show their old D3 rivals any favours in the replay of last year’s Grand Final. One has to consider that PA’s have only lost once in two seasons and know how to win the close ones. Players of the calibre of Matt Fletcher will ensure the Gryphs remain competitive, but they are not in the same class as their adversaries).
Turtles over Therry by 19 Pts (Should be a highly competitive game, but if Eltham can get over the Oak Park boys, they can put a two game break on their opponents in true ‘8 point’ style. The Matt Attack, Feben & Crooks to be the difference).
SMS over South by 14 Pts (Such a crucial fixture for the Bloods who simply have to win to remain in touch, but conversely a combine win can see the relegation battle all but sealed for the year. I feel the latter is more likely, but not without South pushing them all the way).
Parade over Latrobe by 44 Pts (Bundoora derbies are often highly competitive and close affairs, but the gulf in talent this year points to this one being anything but. I have misjudged The Trobers for much of the season, but hopefully no more. They are winless with a percentage of just 48, so how could one select them here…)
Bullants over Emmaus by 57 Pts (It is unlucky for Emmaus that they face Bulleen a week after one of their weakest performances for the year, as they will receive no mercy from the home side. Expect the Ants to put this one away early and cruise to a 10 goal win. Justin Khouri to bag a half D).

Round 8 Review

3/5 (26/40 cumulative) was a fair result, but I suspect most D2 experts were around this mark. Highlight of the round was clearly the dominant performance of the Gryphs at East Caulfield Reserve who exposed the Four Blues and ran away with the points in a spirited display. Dan Baxter turned back the clock and was best afield in a match that was well and truly over by the final change. I’m not sure if one should state that alarm bells are ringing at Toorak Park, but on two occasions this season they have thrown in the towel once beaten against good opposition, which is most unlike the Prahran teams of yesteryear. The other remarkable feature of the round was the tie at Ferndale. The Saints probably thought they should’ve won with more scoring shots, but ultimately were lucky to draw as South charged home in the second half. Autio vs. Hannan even West vs. Griggs even. The result will not particularly help either side, especially the Bloods. The Turtles took three and a half quarter to shake Therry in a highly competitive game at Research. Woods, Laver and Ciavola amongst the defining contributions for the home side. Emmaus made Bulleen earn the points at Ted Ajani, but the Bullants will take the points and move on. Parade thrashed Latrobe Uni in the Bundoora Derby, but in fairness to the students, they were not shaken off till the final term.

Round 9 Preview

The solstice has arrived, as has the mid way point of the season and some intriguing fixtures await as the ladder takes shape. 8 mathematical chances for finals, but I would argue only 6 are a realistic possibility.

Turtles over Emmaus by 31 Pts (The grounds should still be pretty wet on the weekend, so the margin may be closer, but one can only be impressed at Eltham who have arguably the best attack in the division and a miserly defence. Should do it easily with Galvin best afield).
Parade over Gryphs by 8 Pts (Clear match of the day and 8 pointer to boot. You get the feeling that the winner of this may go on and play finals whilst the loser may have to settle for a season of mediocrity. As Parade have an excellent defensive structure I will side with Boundy’s Men, but I could easily be wrong).
Therry over SMS by 36 Pts (The Oak Park lads have displayed mixed form in 2012, but were darn good last week at Eltham. Back at home they will stay in touch with the four and dispel any ambitions that the combine may have had to this end. ‘Jenny’ George to boot another half d).
Bulleen over SMD by 16Pts (The Bullants – like Essendon – seem to have issues with football in June. Having said that, their best has been head and shoulders above anyone else in the section. The Bloods to give their all at home but fall short by a few kicks. Cowell to be the difference between the two sides).
PA over Latrobe by 66 Pts (The last time Prahran lost they came out the next week and won by 13 goals, so I expect the same again. I sincerely hope the Trobers remain competitive in the remaining games of the season as they must now play for pride. The Four Blues easily).

Good Luck to all

Quasi

Emmaus St Leos vs Old Eltham - The toffy Research boys should be able to consolidate their lofty ladder spot with another win here.
Old Paradians vs Monash Gyphons - Yes, a true eight-pointer with both teams desperate to keep up with the ladder leaders. At home fancy the Raiders can just get across the line.
Therry Penola vs St Marys Salesian - The Lions can't afford to drop this one against the Ferndale boys if they want to keep in the finals hunt.
South Melbourne vs Bulleen Templestowe - The Swans grabbed a draw last week but can't see the Bullants being that close at siren time.
Prahran vs La Trobe University - Could be a long afternoon for the Students if the Two Blues take out any frustration on last week's loss.

This forum is like talking to myself. Wife says I'm good at that anyway.
This week:
Therry to keep pushing for the 4th spot and defeat Emmaus in a close one.
Eltham to account for La Trobe easily.
St Marys to upset injury plagued Monash and ruin any chance of a top 4 finish for Gryphons
Old Paradians over SMD but not by much.
BT too good for Prahran

Very late on the tips:
Monash
Old Eltham
Therry
Bulleen
Prahran

Progressive 33/45

Over the half way mark and whilst this season is far from determined, I will suggest the top 3 and bottom 2 sides are all but sorted out. Maybe the order of 1-3 may change.

Emmaus vs Therry - 24 points. Therry need to prove they are contenders and put away sides like this. They have done so this far, but haven't been as convincing. I do not think we will see a margin like round 1, but with Egglestone and Pell, who are hard to run with, and Costello consistent enough up forward, this will ensure the win.

Monash vs St Marys - 12 points. Last chance for Monash this week. If they do not win this they can kiss any chance of finals good bye. To do this they will need to stop Autio and Jones who, if are on, can win the game for St Marys. Monash, with a last ditch effort here, will get over the top with Cherian getting the boys up.

Eltham vs La Trobe - 40 points. Turtles are starting to fire at the right time and I think they will only improve more in the lead up to finals. Not too much to say about La Trobe and they will be in trouble again today. Ciavola generally plays better away than on their home ground but this week will kick a bag in front of the home crowd.

Parade vs South - 19 points. Parade are a very miserly team in defense and work it well out of their back line. Their issue is kicking big scores. If they could have a genuine big forward stand up they could beat any team in the comp. They will need to watch Souths here as they are on the improve and scared Bulleen last week. I'm sure a little fitness hurt them in the last quarter but we could be in for an upset. Giddings is a great player and will be hard for Souths to match up this week.

Bulleen vs Prahran - 5 points. Match of the round and I expect a cracker. Both teams have had a minor form slump recently and are vulnerable at times. But there is a lot of pride and respect on the line here so we wont be seeing any of that. There is some great match up all around the ground with the guys to stop for Prahran to be Sleight and little Musster and for Bulleen Cherbakof and Khouri up forward and Edsall(who is having a stellar run).

Round 9 Preview

The solstice has arrived, as has the mid way point of the season and some intriguing fixtures await as the ladder takes shape. 8 mathematical chances for finals, but I would argue only 6 are a realistic possibility.

Turtles over Emmaus by 31 Pts (The grounds should still be pretty wet on the weekend, so the margin may be closer, but one can only be impressed at Eltham who have arguably the best attack in the division and a miserly defence. Should do it easily with Galvin best afield).
Parade over Gryphs by 8 Pts (Clear match of the day and 8 pointer to boot. You get the feeling that the winner of this may go on and play finals whilst the loser may have to settle for a season of mediocrity. As Parade have an excellent defensive structure I will side with Boundy’s Men, but I could easily be wrong).
Therry over SMS by 36 Pts (The Oak Park lads have displayed mixed form in 2012, but were darn good last week at Eltham. Back at home they will stay in touch with the four and dispel any ambitions that the combine may have had to this end. ‘Jenny’ George to boot another half d).
Bulleen over SMD by 16Pts (The Bullants – like Essendon – seem to have issues with football in June. Having said that, their best has been head and shoulders above anyone else in the section. The Bloods to give their all at home but fall short by a few kicks. Cowell to be the difference between the two sides).
PA over Latrobe by 66 Pts (The last time Prahran lost they came out the next week and won by 13 goals, so I expect the same again. I sincerely hope the Trobers remain competitive in the remaining games of the season as they must now play for pride. The Four Blues easily).

Round 9 Review

5/5 (31/45 cumulative) was a pleasing return, however it was hard earned as Bulleen stormed home to snatch the points from the Bloods to prevent one of the upsets of the season. South is showing far more resolve of late and if they keep up that form, they are some chance to avoid the drop come season’s end. For the Bullants, Divine Follacchio was handy in front of the big sticks when it counted. St Mary’s also pushed the men from Oak Park all the way in an arm wrestle at JPF Reserve. Justin Crotty amongst the best for the home side who find themselves still in the mix for finals actions, but their percentage is a worry. Old Paradians, Prahran and Old Eltham were all ultra impressive, albeit against much inferior opposition. The inconsistency of the boys from East Caulfield must be causing headaches for Jock McDonald and Co as the Gryphons blew another chance of remaining in touch. Emmaus and Latrobe now look to be the least likely to be competitive in the short term.

Round 10 Preview

This column usually refrains from big statements, but I will break with tradition and state that the four is set and relegation almost settled. Therry would have to go 6 and three if they are to be a chance and I for one cannot see this occurring. There is no way the Yo-Yoing Gryphons will go 7 and 2, so unless Parade self destruct, the four will not change! More interest in the order of the four as well as relegation where I suspect South will go close to avoiding the drop.

Therry by 11 Pts over Emmaus (It is likely that weather conditions will be similar to last weekend, so contests such as this one may be an arm wrestle for much of the game. Ben Harding to relish the soft ground and keep his team in the finals race).
Monash over SMS by 10 Pts (The Gryphons sustained a couple of injuries to key players last week and will be licking their wounds. However, at home I expect them to get the points in a tough and torrid game that may well provide the closest contest of the round. Wells versus Autio to be the defining battle of the outcome).
Eltham over Latrobe by 99 Pts (There is some chance that the Trobers will not register a goal for the game and might need a Mark Arceri – a la Western Oval 1991 – to avoid the 'clean sheet' late in the game. The Turtles are priming themselves for the finals and are playing as good a football as anyone at present).
Parade over South by 21 Pts (The Raiders made light work of the Gryphons last time out and should hence account for the Bloods. I do expect this one to be a contest for much of the game as South have shown far more fight in recent weeks. Daniel Mahony to be best afield).
Bulleen over Prahran by 18 Pts (Last time these two met, the Bullants embarrassed the Four Blues after they unfurled their Premiership flag of 2011. No way, the margin will be that great tomorrow, but I do favour the home side as their best is top shelf. Rob Edsall to continue his fine season and get his side the four points).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Emmaus St Leos vs Therry Penola - The Lions can't afford to, and don't expect them, to trip up here as they hand in for a finals spot.
Monash Gryphons vs St Marys Salesian - The Gyps need this to keep hope alive their slender chance of a finals spot.
Old Eltham vs la Trobe Uni - They don't need it, but an opportuity for an increase in percentage for the tree-huggers.
Old Paradians vs South Melbourne - If results go their way the Raiders could be a win off top with success here.
Bulleen Templestowe vs Prahran - Think the Two Blues will be better prepared for the Bullants this time around.

Emmaus St Leos vs Therry Penola - The Lions can't afford to, and don't expect them, to trip up here as they hand in for a finals spot.
Monash Gryphons vs St Marys Salesian - The Gyps need this to keep hope alive their slender chance of a finals spot.
Old Eltham vs la Trobe Uni - They don't need it, but an opportuity for an increase in percentage for the tree-huggers.
Old Paradians vs South Melbourne - If results go their way the Raiders could be a win off top with success here.
Bulleen Templestowe vs Prahran - Think the Two Blues will be better prepared for the Bullants this time around.
Prahran must be shattered. Leading by 50 points in the 3rd.

Almost on the money with tips and margins, except for Monash.
Therry jumped Emmaus in first quarter, then just hung on
The yo-yo Gryphons have done it again, easily accounting for St Marys. Almost impossible to get a line on their form.
As predicted Eltham way too good for La Trobe.
Parade got the job done. Was the difference in scoring shots inaccuracy by Parade or rushed behinds by SMD?
Prahran should have won after leading by almost 6 goals at the last break. What the hell happened? BT too young and full of run? Might be time for the older PA lads to have their pacemaker batteries checked.

Almost on the money with tips and margins, except for Monash.
Therry jumped Emmaus in first quarter, then just hung on
The yo-yo Gryphons have done it again, easily accounting for St Marys. Almost impossible to get a line on their form.
As predicted Eltham way too good for La Trobe.
Parade got the job done. Was the difference in scoring shots inaccuracy by Parade or rushed behinds by SMD?
Prahran should have won after leading by almost 6 goals at the last break. What the hell happened? BT too young and full of run? Might be time for the older PA lads to have their pacemaker batteries checked.

You didn't tip any margins.

FWIW I went along to the Bulleen/Prahran game and witnessed a very competitive high standard game marred only by VERY ordinary umpiring and particularly after 1/2 time (that's enough bashing from me). Momentum and young legs were the difference in the end and BT had the class to get over the line. I wouldn't write PA off just yet (they were much better than when I saw them against Monash a few weeks back) and the next 2 weeks could determine their season. From what I've heard/seen BT still the obvious choice at this stage for Premiers IMO but I get the feeling Div 2 this year could throw up some interesting scenarios before seasons end. Great game of footy on Sat. though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW I went along to the Bulleen/Prahran game and witnessed a very competitive high standard game marred only by VERY ordinary umpiring and particularly after 1/2 time (that's enough bashing from me). Momentum and young legs were the difference in the end and BT had the class to get over the line. I wouldn't write PA off just yet (they were much better than when I saw them against Monash a few weeks back) and the next 2 weeks could determine their season. From what I've heard/seen BT still the obvious choice at this stage for Premiers IMO but I get the feeling Div 2 this year could throw up some interesting scenarios before seasons end. Great game of footy on Sat. though.

Was there much of a wind and did Bulleen have the advantage in the last?

Was there much of a wind and did Bulleen have the advantage in the last?
Only advantage was 1 team had 20 (sorry no more I promise)...wind had died down and there was no obvious advantage either end from my vantage point - ground was in great nick and BT had leg speed and found space with good re-bounding skill - BT had an extra ruckman who I thought dominated in final quarter to give their runners first use - as I said a great contest which unfortunately ended in a 'minor' melee.

Florance and Pace returning from injury will will be a huge bonus to BT on the run in to finals.

Tips this round and just to please TerryS will include margins
Eltham over St Mary's quite easily (65 points). St Marys too soft.
Bulleen to account for Therry by a comfortable 38 points, especially if a couple back from injury
Monash to defeat La Trobe on the big ground by only 28 points. Can't be sure still which Monash will turn up
SMD to win over Emmaus by 9 points. Souths have been close in recent times and with home ground will get over the line.
Prahran to be too good for Old Paradians. 2 blues mids versus Parades backline. In a low scoring affair Prahran by 21 points.

Progressive 33/45

Over the half way mark and whilst this season is far from determined, I will suggest the top 3 and bottom 2 sides are all but sorted out. Maybe the order of 1-3 may change.

Emmaus vs Therry - 24 points. Therry need to prove they are contenders and put away sides like this. They have done so this far, but haven't been as convincing. I do not think we will see a margin like round 1, but with Egglestone and Pell, who are hard to run with, and Costello consistent enough up forward, this will ensure the win.

Monash vs St Marys - 12 points. Last chance for Monash this week. If they do not win this they can kiss any chance of finals good bye. To do this they will need to stop Autio and Jones who, if are on, can win the game for St Marys. Monash, with a last ditch effort here, will get over the top with Cherian getting the boys up.

Eltham vs La Trobe - 40 points. Turtles are starting to fire at the right time and I think they will only improve more in the lead up to finals. Not too much to say about La Trobe and they will be in trouble again today. Ciavola generally plays better away than on their home ground but this week will kick a bag in front of the home crowd.

Parade vs South - 19 points. Parade are a very miserly team in defense and work it well out of their back line. Their issue is kicking big scores. If they could have a genuine big forward stand up they could beat any team in the comp. They will need to watch Souths here as they are on the improve and scared Bulleen last week. I'm sure a little fitness hurt them in the last quarter but we could be in for an upset. Giddings is a great player and will be hard for Souths to match up this week.

Bulleen vs Prahran - 5 points. Match of the round and I expect a cracker. Both teams have had a minor form slump recently and are vulnerable at times. But there is a lot of pride and respect on the line here so we wont be seeing any of that. There is some great match up all around the ground with the guys to stop for Prahran to be Sleight and little Musster and for Bulleen Cherbakof and Khouri up forward and Edsall(who is having a stellar run).

Progressive 38/50

Pretty easy on the tips last week with most people getting 5. Quick review this week, I'm going to see a man about a dog.

St Marys v Eltham - 86 points. I expect a shellacking this week. Ciavola to kick a bag and take the lead in the race for the Coleman.

Therry v Bulleen - 45 points. Therry are just a mediocre side that wont bother Bulleen, even if the Ants still might be a bit lethargic after last weeks battle. When will Pace be back?

La Trobe v Monash - 22 points. This is the kind of game that Monash are likely to drop. Pump a top team two weeks ago then drop to the bottom team. Still have to pick them over a hapless La Trobe. Nuguid to continue solid form.

South v Emmaus - 6 points. Home ground advantage to the improving Souths should get them over the line. Emmaus just lacking that extra punch up forward. Souths need Griggs on fire to pull them over the line.

Prahran v Parade - 5 points. Match of the round. Very important for both teams and will almost guarantee a finals berth. I'm going to tips Parades defensive style of play and miserly backline to contain the Four Blues in a low scoring thriller. Miller to add another best for the away side.

Round 10 Preview

This column usually refrains from big statements, but I will break with tradition and state that the four is set and relegation almost settled. Therry would have to go 6 and three if they are to be a chance and I for one cannot see this occurring. There is no way the Yo-Yoing Gryphons will go 7 and 2, so unless Parade self destruct, the four will not change! More interest in the order of the four as well as relegation where I suspect South will go close to avoiding the drop.

Therry by 11 Pts over Emmaus (It is likely that weather conditions will be similar to last weekend, so contests such as this one may be an arm wrestle for much of the game. Ben Harding to relish the soft ground and keep his team in the finals race).
Monash over SMS by 10 Pts (The Gryphons sustained a couple of injuries to key players last week and will be licking their wounds. However, at home I expect them to get the points in a tough and torrid game that may well provide the closest contest of the round. Wells versus Autio to be the defining battle of the outcome).
Eltham over Latrobe by 99 Pts (There is some chance that the Trobers will not register a goal for the game and might need a Mark Arceri – a la Western Oval 1991 – to avoid the 'clean sheet' late in the game. The Turtles are priming themselves for the finals and are playing as good a football as anyone at present).
Parade over South by 21 Pts (The Raiders made light work of the Gryphons last time out and should hence account for the Bloods. I do expect this one to be a contest for much of the game as South have shown far more fight in recent weeks. Daniel Mahony to be best afield).
Bulleen over Prahran by 18 Pts (Last time these two met, the Bullants embarrassed the Four Blues after they unfurled their Premiership flag of 2011. No way, the margin will be that great tomorrow, but I do favour the home side as their best is top shelf. Rob Edsall to continue his fine season and get his side the four points).

Round 10 Review

5/5 (36/50 cumulative)

It is not like anything profound was revealed in round 10 and as my learned colleague Terence Stamp mentioned in his column earlier today the favourite teams saluted. Perhaps the most surprising result was the magnitude of the injury ravaged Gryphons win over a bitterly disappointing Saints cohort. The combine could only manage two goals till three quarter time and would’ve struggled to win in D4 with that level of effort. They desperately need the national U/18 carnival to be over and Autio to return, otherwise they will struggle to beat anyone. The jury is still out on the Gryphs who have shown Koschitzkian form in 2012.

Conversely, there were some excellent contests at other venues with the Lions holding off a fast finishing Emmaus, Parade being pushed all the way by South and the Bullants showing the type of football that has had them premiership favourites for some time in a pulsating burst against PA’s. Only Eltham had it easy, against a Latrobe team who must be wishing for the end of the season to come early.

Round 11 Preview

Eltham over SMS by 77 Pts (If this were out at Research I would select the Turtles by 120 plus, so forgive my conservatism, however, on last weeks effort the Saints will not get close. Ryan ‘Fighter’ Foo to be amongst the visitors’ best.

Bulleen over Therry by 10 Pts (I called the race for the four closed last week, however, if the Lions can claim the big scalp of Bulleen this weekend, I am willing to retract that statement. No doubt this virtual Elimination final – from the perspective of Therry – will have them ‘up and about’ but class will prevail in the end. Stellar & Schmidt to once again shine).

Gryphons over Latrobe by 47 Pts (Many are calling this a danger game for Monash, but I for one cannot see how as the team they are competing against averages just 46.7 points a week! Even if they had Ross Lyon as coach that is not enough to win football matches, regardless of the conditions. Monash to win comfortably with Jimmy Ogden-Nash providing the spark up forward).

South over Emmaus by 10 Pts (This may well be the pick of the bunch as the relegation stakes hots up to boiling point for the Bloods. If they lose, D3 looms, if they win and I suspect they will, they may just survive. Paradoxically, Emmaus can place an unassailable 10 point break over South and virtually ensure their survival in this section. The most defining game of the season so far for both teams and I favour the Bloods at home with Eliot ‘Elvis’ Costello best afield).

PA over Parade by 18 Pts (One of these sides will be out of the race for the Top 2 after tomorrow and I fancy Old Paradians to find themselves in this predicament. The Two Blues will be seething after letting a match winning lead slip at Ted Ajani so I expect them to burst out of the blocks and keep the Bundoora boys at arms length for the day. Adam Sleight to be the defining factor against a resolute defence).

Super important matches involving teams at either end of the ladder makes for an interesting round of matches.

St Marys Salesian vs Old Eltham - With teams breathing down their neck can't see the Turtles dropping this one against the Saints.
Therry Penola vs Bulleen Templestowe - The Lions need to topple a top side if they want to play finals but don't think the Bullants will be one of them.
La Trobe University vs Monash Gryphons - Would love to see the Students get a win before heading down a division but can't see it here against the Gryps.
South Melbourne vs Emmaus St Leos - If the Swans want to remain in this division then they have to reverse recent trends and topple the Sainters here.
Prahran vs Old Paradians - The loser will be smelling trouble at games end here and think it will be the Two Blues as the Raiders are dogged and determined.

Tips this round and just to please TerryS will include margins
Eltham over St Mary's quite easily (65 points). St Marys too soft.
Bulleen to account for Therry by a comfortable 38 points, especially if a couple back from injury
Monash to defeat La Trobe on the big ground by only 28 points. Can't be sure still which Monash will turn up
SMD to win over Emmaus by 9 points. Souths have been close in recent times and with home ground will get over the line.
Prahran to be too good for Old Paradians. 2 blues mids versus Parades backline. In a low scoring affair Prahran by 21 points.

Winners as per tips however a couple of margins a surprise.
Eltham by 47 however St Marys losing their main goal scoring option Autio in first 5 minutes made Eltham's job that much easier.
Bulleen by 7 points. Missing a couple of stars certainly brings them back to the field.
Monash by 2 points. Wow. I see La Trobe kicked 6 in first and 6 in the last. 4 qtrs would have seen an upset. Whats going on Johnny? Can't make finals.
SMD won as predicted but margin a big surprise. Really opens up relegation battle. On current form SMD will climb out of the danger zone.
Again Prahran a winner in the predicted low scoring affair.
Reckon the size of the ground used in finals series will impact the results

Winners as per tips however a couple of margins a surprise.
Eltham by 47 however St Marys losing their main goal scoring option Autio in first 5 minutes made Eltham's job that much easier.
Bulleen by 7 points. Missing a couple of stars certainly brings them back to the field.
Monash by 2 points. Wow. I see La Trobe kicked 6 in first and 6 in the last. 4 qtrs would have seen an upset. Whats going on Johnny? Can't make finals.
SMD won as predicted but margin a big surprise. Really opens up relegation battle. On current form SMD will climb out of the danger zone.
Again Prahran a winner in the predicted low scoring affair.
Reckon the size of the ground used in finals series will impact the results

Don't know where you got your mail from but Autio didn't play at all. St Mary's had two loose men in their defensive 50 hence the low scoring affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back