D2 Division 2 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a regular watcher of PA and a D3 forum poster last year and yes they were awesome...check out their website and you'll get an idea of the strengths etc...this year I think presents it's problems for them with having new 1st & 2nds coaches and in addition I've heard they're losing 4-5 players from their GF side...I'm thinking they'd want an injection of new Assumption lads to replace or some quality new signings to continue their run....they should still have the nucleus of a very competitive team to compete strongly in the higher grade...as for a hot knife through butter...I really don't think so....

Prahran were so much better than all the other teams in d3 that they will slice through d2 like a hot knife through butter.
The jump from d3 to d2 is not that big if you are a good team look at St Johns d3 grand finalist in 2010 and d2 premiers 2011. latorbe uni d3 grand final winner 2010 and just missed the 4 in 2011.
The only minor hick up for Prahan is they have a new coach this year, but with the strong Assumption connection i would expect this club to have a rapid climb up through D grades then it might slow a little when the hit c grade but they should be looking a getting into A grade with in a 5 year period .
As i doubt with Assumptions sporting history they would or except langwishing in the lower grades.

Coaching change won't make a difference as they had better players than everyone else - simple as that. Monash were very well coached which is what took them as far as they did and this will be their biggest challenge this year....
Losing players (i think 5 was mentioned) is not the way to move up the grades. If you look at the teams that do it, they hold onto their list and add to it. Expect PA to be around finals but not a shoe-in as everyone predicts.

I was not aware that PA had lost 5 players but i dont think this will effect them too much as they would only need to pick up 3 or 4 good kids from assumtion that would be of a higher standard than most of the other teams in d2 would be able to recruit even if it is only for one season

Bit of rubbish on here!!! Ben Gill has come across kicked about 70 goals in Div 2 NFL, would be hoping to get around the same again! No CHF has been picked up?? Crooks is back and 3 more have come across 2 have serious commitments outside of footy (work etc) and will play limited games..

I'd be happy but surprised if we got as much as 100 out of our 2 best forwards! 200 is taking the piss really!!

We're getting about 30 (ave) players on the track, always hoping to sign more players and build a strong list!

Hope that clears it all up!

Crooks is back? That would make a few of the smaller blokes in the guts smile no doubt eh Portman??
Welcome home big fella!!!

Coaching change won't make a difference as they had better players than everyone else - simple as that. Monash were very well coached which is what took them as far as they did and this will be their biggest challenge this year....
Losing players (i think 5 was mentioned) is not the way to move up the grades. If you look at the teams that do it, they hold onto their list and add to it. Expect PA to be around finals but not a shoe-in as everyone predicts.

Not so sure the signs are that great for Prahran.

They were by far and away the best team in D3 and should have been looking to cut a swathe through D2 and still may, but I hear on the grapevine that they got rid of the coach because he was too hard on the players.

Tail wagging the dog????

I was not aware that PA had lost 5 players but i dont think this will effect them too much as they would only need to pick up 3 or 4 good kids from assumtion that would be of a higher standard than most of the other teams in d2 would be able to recruit even if it is only for one season

Depends which 5 have gone. Does anyone have any names?
Parsons and Muster. The best 2 players for Prahran by a mile.

Depends which 5 have gone. Does anyone have any names?
Parsons and Muster. The best 2 players for Prahran by a mile.
Wouldn't have said by a mile Johnny.

I think Sleight is their best player and McIntyre and Cristoforo and pell aren't lagging too far behind.

Agree with you Wamba re Sleight any CHF who can kick 75 odd goals and dominate the air like he did is worth his weight in gold - heard the coach resigned because of business reason only and players gone are Chapman (back to the bush somewhere)Northway, Adamson & Furness...2 or 3 useful replacements would still make them a finals prospect in the higher grade IMO...having a new coach could make things interesting...

Agree with you Wamba re Sleight any CHF who can kick 75 odd goals and dominate the air like he did is worth his weight in gold - heard the coach resigned because of business reason only and players gone are Chapman (back to the bush somewhere)Northway, Adamson & Furness...2 or 3 useful replacements would still make them a finals prospect in the higher grade IMO...having a new coach could make things interesting...
If thats the case then they havent lost much. Chapman is a fairly good backup midfielder and a reasonable loss. But Prahran has plenty of depth and are bound to have picked up a few.
Id be very surprised if they werent legitimate top 4 challengers this year.
Anyone know if Giansiracusa left? He'd still be pretty P#ssed being dropped for Northway in the D3 grand final.

GG I'm only aware of why Stafford resigned as PA coach (business reason only) and no nothing of Mills' situation - Chapman is a big loss as IMO he was their key 'in & under' man and will be difficult to replace - Giansiracusa apparently is training and agree he was more than stiff to be dropped for GF. Will be interesting how Mills with no senior coaching experience as I understand handles a team that wasn't beaten in 2011.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear on the grapevive that Mills is very hard on them and they maybe not taking too kindly to it. Maybe it is sour grapes from a Therry person who told me, I don't know.

The coach from last year left 4 months ago, surely they are over it by now, how old are they, 12?

Hi All,

First post for the year...good luck this year to all.

Bet most are looking forward to the games starting & less Time Trials.

No sour grapes at Therry about Ash Mills departing to take up the role at Prahran / Assumption. Ash coached our U19 side last year and did a great job, I'm pretty sure he has coached at senior level before in the Essendon District League for a year or so before senior assistant roles.

Only sour grapes from Therry is that we lose a great person.....but wish him all the best, and i'm sure he'll do well.

Cheers

How are you traveling down at Therry so far?

Should be a pretty big year for you guys.

Have you heard anything about any other teams?

We are going along okay...training has been good.
No intentions of sounding a little coy, just hard to tell until the practice matches - then Round 1 comes around.

Haven't lost too many, which is a good sign. Hoping it's a good year, but I'm sure every other club is thinking the same thing.

Haven't heard too much news at all - we get a little lost at Oak Park.

I read on the Div 3 thread that the boys out at Monash think their a real chance to go up again?

Can anyone confirm how they are traveling?

I can't see it myself.

no chance of going up again. most likely get relegated imo :p what are your thoughts Johnny?
Id say Monash would be looking to finish 4-6. Id be very surprised if they were relegated. Id rate Prahran a 4 goal better side. The scoreboard flattered them a little in the D3 GF in my opinion.
So if you think Prahran will finish top 2. Then Monash must be contenders to finish 4-6.

I am not sure MG will go top 4 this season .It can be done look at St Johns and larobe uni last year, In 2010 they finished one and two on the ladder and were the stand out teams in d3 that year.
Both won promotion to D2 for 2011
St Johns won the D2 GF last year and latobe uni were in the running for a finals berth but faded a little towards the end of the season to finsh 5th.
as for d3 last year PA and yarra valley were the stand outs with MG finsihing 4 or 5 on the ladder so i think with a few player losses and a new coach they will be competivie but finish just out of the finals.

There seems to be a lot of teams "pushing for finals", how about everyone jump off the fence and lay down your ladder predictions??

See earlier post for my ladder.

There must be someone out there in D2 land that has some info on how teams are traveling THIS YEAR?

Just trying to drum up a few posts really, bit bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back