D3 Division 3 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
..... And if it is anything like his previous 18 games, we are certainly all in for a treat this Saturday at Hoe Park.

Congratulations to Paul Harris on 100 games, a great achievement at any club.
While Mr Francis was named in the best I don't think you got the treat you were expecting. He'll need to do a lot more work in the gym if he is going to carry the Hoes for the rest of the season.

While Mr Francis was named in the best I don't think you got the treat you were expecting. He'll need to do a lot more work in the gym if he is going to carry the Hoes for the rest of the season.

Francis was like a pig in mud. loves it!

G'day Quasi you were correct on your prediction of the Prahran v E'wick game - had it been a dry day the margin would have been closer to 150 points. Ordinary conditions prevailed as would be at most grounds at the w'end but the 'Wicks didn't give a yelp (although they kicked the first 2 goals of the game) and IMO are in danger of relegation even at this stage. Prahran are an impressive very even outfit who no doubt are the team to beat. It will take a fair effort to roll 'em - but then again every dog has it's day.

Agreed Gryphonder. Hoes stuck right with the middle group and will take more than one set of broad shoulders to catch the leading pack.

Gryphons not a bad unit but I had a look at Prahran on Saturday and they are the team to beat.

Hypothetically, what would happen, if in a few years time Prahran-Assumption make it to Premier B/C, and decide to split as Assumption want to have their own Old Boys side. Would an Old Assumption side have to be formed in Division 4?

Agreed Gryphonder. Hoes stuck right with the middle group and will take more than one set of broad shoulders to catch the leading pack.

Gryphons not a bad unit but I had a look at Prahran on Saturday and they are the team to beat.

I too have seen Prahran and agree they will take some catching. Gryphons though performing above most people's predictions at this early stage.

I too have seen Prahran and agree they will take some catching. Gryphons though performing above most people's predictions at this early stage.
Id be interested if someone from Prahran can rate the quality of the opposition they have played so far.
Obviously Yarra Valley are genuine contenders but how about the rest.

Hypothetically, what would happen, if in a few years time Prahran-Assumption make it to Premier B/C, and decide to split as Assumption want to have their own Old Boys side. Would an Old Assumption side have to be formed in Division 4?

State Savings Bank, Commonwealth Bank and Prahran VFA....All soon to be things of the past. Six years ago Old Carey were languishing in D2 and on the brink of oblivion. Up step a few high profile personalities, several thousand dollars later they are in Premier Div!!! A new phrase has joined the cliche book. "Demoted to the level of their indominance."

Id be interested if someone from Prahran can rate the quality of the opposition they have played so far.
Obviously Yarra Valley are genuine contenders but how about the rest.
I've seen them 4 times - Yarra Valley game could have gone either way in the end but 1st up games are difficult to judge. UHS Vic game was a belter to 1/2 time before Prahran got on top but I came away thinking they would be the likely grand finalists. This week YV play UHS so that may sort things out further. On current form I'd think YV should win. Monash were OK at times and will likely also play finals but not quite there at the minute. The big difference I've seen between Prahran and its opponents is that they have a forward line capable of kicking big totals, good on-ballers and also a miserly defence.

I've seen them 4 times - Yarra Valley game could have gone either way in the end but 1st up games are difficult to judge. UHS Vic game was a belter to 1/2 time before Prahran got on top but I came away thinking they would be the likely grand finalists. This week YV play UHS so that may sort things out further. On current form I'd think YV should win. Monash were OK at times and will likely also play finals but not quite there at the minute. The big difference I've seen between Prahran and its opponents is that they have a forward line capable of kicking big totals, good on-ballers and also a miserly defence.

4 out of 5 games you have seen and a few away...... I believe earlier in your posts you claimed not be involved with the club but am finding that quite difficult to believe. Surely if you are just a Toorak Park man then Old Xavs and some of their games would provided much better entertainment than travelling away with Prahran Assumption??? No offence to D3 obviously!

So in saying that... what is the thought inside Prahran at the moment? Obviously sitting top and undefeated but do they believe they still have improvement etc?????

So they have the best backline, midfield AND forwardline in the comp?

:footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy::footy:

4 out of 5 games you have seen and a few away...... I believe earlier in your posts you claimed not be involved with the club but am finding that quite difficult to believe. Surely if you are just a Toorak Park man then Old Xavs and some of their games would provided much better entertainment than travelling away with Prahran Assumption??? No offence to D3 obviously!

So in saying that... what is the thought inside Prahran at the moment? Obviously sitting top and undefeated but do they believe they still have improvement etc?????
Mate thankfully in this country we have 'choice' and don't really need to justify ourselves. Travel/other commitments thankfully allow me to still watch a game. I've gotten to know some stalwarts down there which has piqued my interest in them nothing else.
D3 although not to the standard of the higher grades is nonetheless very entertaining to watch for anyone who loves their footy. I watch from the outer so have no idea at all what any inside thinking is at the club, and if it's OK with you I'll continue to watch them when I can. BTW if your club was undefeated on top what would your thinking be...?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until you see EVERY team play you can't make judgement but from what games I have seen both YV and UHS also had very good set-ups.....

I've seen every team now toorak except Yarra, Hawthorn and Mt Lilydale and I'm sneaking a look at the Hawks this week. Should be able to make a judgement soon!

Mate thankfully in this country we have 'choice' and don't really need to justify ourselves. Travel/other commitments thankfully allow me to still watch a game. I've gotten to know some stalwarts down there which has piqued my interest in them nothing else.
D3 although not to the standard of the higher grades is nonetheless very entertaining to watch for anyone who loves their footy. I watch from the outer so have no idea at all what any inside thinking is at the club, and if it's OK with you I'll continue to watch them when I can. BTW if your club was undefeated on top what would your thinking be...?

Fair enough... was just seeing If I could get anything out of Prahran as they seem pretty quiet on here, unlike some other teams in other divisions that are travelling OK.

P.S If I was top and undefeated I'd be pretty happy with life but also know there is a long cold winter ahead and still a long way to go!

Okay tips for this week:

Yarra v Uni High- A chance for one of these sides to break right away. Yet to see yarra but I'll give it to them at home by 4 goals.

Gryphons v West Brunswick-Gryphons too many options up forward for west to shut down. Gryphons by 7 goals.

Elsternwick v Ivanhoe-Despite the efforts of Mahoney and Beddingfield, Elsternwick were outclassed last week and will find the going easier this week, but not easy enough. Hoes by 7 goals.

Mt Lilydale v Powerhouse-Surprise loss at home to teh Hawks last week and a tough road trip this week may betoo much for them. Mt Lilydale to notch tehir first win by 5 points.

Hawthorn v Albert Park-Critical game. Maunder and Muscat keys for AP and Ogge and Tremowen on the postage stamp are for teh Hawks. Hawks back in the hunt by 8 goals.

Prahran v Kew-Kew have improved this year but not enough to trouble Prahran at home. Prahran by 12 goals.

Round 5 Preview

Four Blues over the Wicks by 85 Pts (The predicted inclement weather is the only saving grace for Elsternwick keeping this under 20 goals. Expect another big haul from Adam Sleight as the Prahran juggernaut continues).
UHS-VU over the Rams by 36Pts (Uni High will be keen to atone for last weeks capitulation in the second half and the mountain men away from the Yarra Valley are hardly as fearsome. Sean Debois and Captain Kirk to be amongst the best for the home side).
Hoes over the Gryphs by 3 Pts (Clear match of the day at Chelsworth Park, with the victor staying right on the pace. I favour the Hoes only due to the home ground advantage as these teams are unbelievably even on paper as well as statistically. The home side will look to the Close Brothers for drive and inspiration, whilst expect Gryphons stalwarts like Lee Wells and Dan Baxter to amongst Monash’s best. Toss of the coin).
Bushrangers over the Pies by 35 Pts (West were far from impressive last round and even through they are back at Royal Park, don’t expect them to be able to go with Yarra Valley. It may be good value for money to venture to Parkville as you will get two D3 games for the price of one, alas, I fear neither will be classics. I will back either Pollard for best on ground).
House over the Hawks by 5 Pts (I sense a minor upset as Hawthorn are very much a confidence team who will go into the fixture at Ross Gregory with renewed optimism. Richard Ogge plays his most damaging football up forward and if he fires the Hawks are a real chance. However, Powerhouse are still capable of good football and may get the points in a close one).
Falcons over Kew by 26 Pts (Albert Park are better than a 1-3 team and should get the better of Kew so long as they don’t try and play to defensive tactics. Kew may try and slow the game to their terms as they struggle to score freely, but are quite adept at restricting oppositions as well. Corey Barker to be best afield for the Bankers).

Round 5 Review

Pretty damn ordinary 3/6 (19/30 Cumulative) and UHS-VU only just got over the line!

Speaking of which, D3 has a couple of teams, who a couple of weeks back, seemed doomed to being cellar dwellers, clearly on the improve. I am speaking of the Rams and Hawks, the latter scoring an impressive away win at Ross Gregory against a wearisome Powerhouse and Mt Lilydale may well be very hard to beat in coming weeks as their ground begins to resemble the Coldstream Wetlands. No change at the top with Prahran and Yarra Valley feeling distinctly like a Rangers and Celtic duopoly. The Falcons continue to disappoint after a lacklustre performance against Kew and the Wicks are leaking goals like a sieve. West Brunswick, Ivanhoe and Powerhouse look to be well off the pace, which leaves us with the Gryphons who are possibly a key forward away from being a contender. They have as good a defence as anyone and arguably the best ‘in and under’ midfielder in the comp, in Matt Fletcher.

Round 6 Preview

Hoes over Wicks by 8 Pts (Windy conditions are favoured this weekend and I am tempted to select all the homes, but Elsternwick are playing their most un-spirited football for years and seemingly have no way of turning round in the short term. Ivanhoe aren’t that good either, but should do just enough with the likes on Paul Harris prominent).
Prahran over Kew by 79 Pts (The margin is the only point of debate as the Bears will find themselves well outclassed. The Four Blues continue to unearth talented footballers, with Ben Furness the latest to shine in their march towards September. Will be over by half time).
Bushrangers over UHS-VU by 26 Pts (I expect Wattsy read the riot act to his chargers during the week, so expect the combine to exhibit their ‘A Game’ early on. Problem is, Domeney Reserve is not an easy place to win and Yarra Valley are a quality outfit with players of the calibre of Dean Letson and Ryan Pollard at their disposal. The Bushrangers to pull away after half time in the first of what may be a few passionate encounters between these two sides in 2011).
Rams over House by 6 Pts (The Mountain men are fast gaining confidence and Powerhouse are fast losing theirs, so I can only go one way. The Rams new found vigour seems to have followed the fortunes of Jamie Paull whose return to form has mirrored his teams. The House will fight hard but are not doing enough for my liking at present. Mt Lilydale just).
Hawks over Falcons by 15 Pts (The battle of the predatory birds should see the Brown and Golds come out on top. Even though I suspect Albert Park to come out firing, one of the teams from 5th to 12th has to fill the final position in the five come the business end of the season, and I have the sneaking suspicion it may be the men from Rathmines Rd. Long way to go mind you and they simply must win this. Toby Cohen to continue his fine season).
Gryphs over Pies by 24 Pts (Lee Wells must be one of the finest lower grade backmen in the history of the VAFA and he has been a Rock of Gibraltar in the Monash defence for fifteen years, however, another key defender in Tim Madden has really come on in leaps and bounds making the Gryphs defence equal to anything in the competition. West Brunswick will find no favours at East Caulfield in their stalled season and the swirly conditions should see the home side win comfortably, especially if they can convert effectively. Chuck Munro to be best afield).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Very late so here's my tips:
Monash Gryphons
UHS-VU
Kew
Yarra Valley
Power House
Prahran

Progressive 23 from 30

Already a division occurring and there are many players on 8 points fighting for the 5th spot. This is not to say Gryphons or UHS are completely safe but do believe they have a bit more quality and depth than the teams below them. Prahran have beaten all top 3 teams below them so look clear favourites. I suggested Hawthorn were a better team than what their results were early on in the season as they are a well coached and drilled side. Maybe they will make 5th spot after a shocker of a start. I also suggested that Elsternwick would improve as the season went on and look where that has got me(a few tips less). So now we've established I'm talking sh!t here's my review.

Yarra Valley v UHS-VU - 15 points. Match of the Round. I've yet to see YV or UHS this year but the figures are stacking up well. Both 4 and 1 only losing to Prahran. UHS were lucky to get away with a win last week. As Quasi likes to say that a team with a stronger % will be a better team and in this case I agree. The forward options for YV will be only marginally better than UHS but the YV defence is miserly. Savage to return to some of his early season form for the home side.

Monash Gryphons v West Brunswick - 22 points. This is very much a danger game for the Gryphons. WB will be looking to make up some ground and this will be a perfect opportunity for them. Gryphons have had some slow starts and if WB can capitalise on this we could be in for an upset. Still Gryphons have a few tricks up their sleeve and if they could be a little more accurate in front of goals could really make a challenge this year. Flowerday to run riot across the backline for his 100th game.

Elsternwick v Ivanhoe - 32 points. I've given up on Elsternwick. Something is amiss down at EP#2 and I cannot see them fixing it short term. I don't think much of Ivanhoe either and think if it wasn't for Number 22(Name?) in defence they would have let a lot more goals get passed.

Mt Lilydale v Powerhouse - 15 points. Rain + Mt Lilydale = Bog Hole. I think many teams will find it hard to beat the Rams at home. In the past few years they have rarely lost out there and given recent weather this will suit the Rams to a tee. I see Rodwell is still getting in the best for the 2's so will be interesting to see if they pick him this week. I suggest he might be for a call up. This will help the Rams immensely. Powerhouse are struggling at the moment. Many pundits suggested they would be quite strong this year and sitting at 2 from 5 would have surprised many people, including me. The bog hole wont suit the big men of the House and the Rams will run away winners.

Hawthorn v Albert Park - 2 points. I wasn't really sure who to tip here. AP have better forward, better defence and better % but can't seem to win games. Hawthorn have had a couple of good wins lately but are really struggling to get the score on the board and have let through the second most goals of any team. This could be attributed to the 3 losses they have had, being from 3 of the top 4 teams. Where as AP have only played the Gryphons in top 4. Also a very interesting read on the Hawks website from the coach and think the passion showed will get them over the line here. Mark Murray to dominate from the sidelines.

Prahran v Kew - 80 points. No contest really. To answer a question from earlier in this forum, I would suggest at this stage that Prahran do have the best forward/mid and 2nd best back setup from what I've seen so far(haven't seen YV yet but suspect they have a better defence). That doesn't mean they are unbeatable but they are sitting pretty. A lot of ball winners and small forwards kicking goals will be too much for Kew here today. Chapman to continue good form and if he can keep it going will be a good show for their B&F polling is 3 out of 4 games.

Anticipating some close matches this round and naturally wouldn't be surprised if some of these selections go belly-up:

Yarra Valley vs UHS-VU
Monash vs West Brunswick
Elsternwick vs Ivanhoe
Mt Lilydale vs Power House
Hawthorn vs Albert Park
Prahran vs Kew

Progressive 23 from 30

Elsternwick v Ivanhoe - 32 points. I've given up on Elsternwick. Something is amiss down at EP#2 and I cannot see them fixing it short term. I don't think much of Ivanhoe either and think if it wasn't for Number 22(Name?) in defence they would have let a lot more goals get passed.

Fair point Terry - the hoes have not played to a level we would be happy with to this point in time. But, have been a tiny bit unlucky in the backline with the first named full back ( season ), CHB ( work ) and next biggest tall (8 weeks - broken arm) causing a few match up issues for us.

Everyone has injuries, so no excuses, we have been in some games and just been outplayed by better teams.

Today was a little better - but still a long way from our best footy at the moment.

Chump.

I didn't think your backline was too bad but a few talls would certainly help. 22 seems to get a lot of it. What's his name?

Yep we lost our centre half back (Mason) and full back (Franich) long term against Powerhouse and Damon Wood was unavailable agains the Gryhons.

Travis Tonge played his first senior game against The Gryphs that day. Gives his all dooes Trav.

Gryphons v Mt Lilydale grand final rematch this week should be a cracker.
The mountain men look like they have improved in recent weeks.
Tommy Wall the danger man..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back