Do essendon deserve the number 1 draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

The previous draft picks lost came from the AFL/Essendon investigations that declared poor governance and bringing the game in to disrepute. They were totally reasonable punishments.

This years draft order has been impacted by Essendon's WADA doping ban. Therefore it should be corrected for the loss of banned players and a reasonable decision would be to put Essendon's selections after the other non finalists. A harsh, but not unreasonable decision could be to put Essendon in at the end of each round of the draft as they haven't been able to perform at all to their ability due to the bans, but after the finalists seems a fair middle ground.

Don't tell Bomber supporters they got punished for poor governance. They'll tell you it was for doping even though that's not what was said.

As others have said the AFL tried to sweep it under the carpet. Players punished for doping. Club got off. But glad there is another thread about Essendon and their "punishments".

This is going to end well. Anyone got popcorn?

Drug cheats forever and regardless of their supporters joy of a No.1 pick next year this stain will never go away even in 2 decades time.

Only sports team in this countries history that has been found guilty by a neutral governing body of a systematic drug doping regime.

Bro. There's no joy, we're not Carlton. We don't want the chosen ones. Give me pick 2 over a spoon cabinet any day.

Try telling that to a bombers supporter, they think they are playing finals next year lol
Pretty wide generalisation there.
I'd be disappointed if we didn't improve enough to be atleast pushing for a spot in the 8 but we would still be a mile off the upper echelon. I'm thinking around the 8th to 12th spot is attainable if everything clicks

Yes. They have been punished a few times now. Time to move on.
They still haven't been punished for orchestrated team doping.

Fines for "poor governance", removed from finals and everything else, but that was all on the back of "we don't know what happened, but we know it was all safe and no one really did anything wrong - we were just really incompetent".

Do Essendon deserve the Number 1 pick? Of course not.

Will they get it? Of course they will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who really cares? The odds of the number 1 pick being a superstar are long indeed. Riewoldt, Hodge and possibly Goddard and that was 2000, 2001 and 2002 so it has been a long long time since a real game breaker has emerged from the top pick. Seems pretty much all the guns lately have come from later picks,

Bontempelli pick 4
Cripps pick 13
Stringer pick 5
Wines pick 7
etc

As Tom Boyd has proven thus far it is one thing to be a dominant force in the under age competitions, but you have as much a chance to be dominated as be dominant in the big leagues straight away. Frankly I would rather 5 picks inside the first 2 rounds rather then pick 1 these days, heck just look at Caleb Daniel, 5 chances to get the next wonder kid sure beats going all in on what may be nothing more then a serviceable player.

The Bombers were kicked out of finals and stripped numerous draft picks. Massive punishment that happened years ago. You can't just decide to punish a club again 3 years later just because you don't feel the original punishment was harsh enough.
Hate the bombers a lot but the above is true.
They've been punished and then some.

Let's just hope they didn't tank against Brisbane ;)

Given the significant draft sanctions Adelaide faced for a cheeky bit of contractual ****ery, I'd suggest that Essendon don't deserve to even be in this draft. They doped an entire team and are being rewarded for it.

The AFL is gutless.

Edit: Having said that, giving Jobe his medal and Essendon their #1 pick isn't magically going to make them a Top 8 team... (i hope).

Last edited:
The previous draft picks lost came from the AFL/Essendon investigations that declared poor governance and bringing the game in to disrepute. They were totally reasonable punishments.

This years draft order has been impacted by Essendon's WADA doping ban. Therefore it should be corrected for the loss of banned players and a reasonable decision would be to put Essendon's selections after the other non finalists. A harsh, but not unreasonable decision could be to put Essendon in at the end of each round of the draft as they haven't been able to perform at all to their ability due to the bans, but after the finalists seems a fair middle ground.

So when Melbourne got done for tanking I'm sure you were first in line to suggest that they should move down the order in the next draft right?

anigif_enhanced-20303-1427782824-10.gif

So when Melbourne got done for tanking I'm sure you were first in line to suggest that they should move down the order in the next draft right?
No, funnily enough I didn't want my own club punished, but I would've understood if we had. Although I would've argued strongly for a full investigation and punishment of all the other clubs who had tanked. And Melbourne weren't even found guilty of tanking, just bringing the game in to disrepute. If there was a WADA for tanking maybe the Dees would've got further punishment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do essendon deserve the number 1 draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back