Do we have the worst leadership group in the AFL?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

BACCS

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts TheBrownDog
May 10, 2009
Or close to it. Goodwin gives us absolutley nothing anymore. I don't give a stuff if he is good off field, all I care about is on field performances. Time to take a punt on Thompson as captain, his time has come.

Let's forget about who should be the Captain for a moment, and just evaluate who is currently in our Leadership Group. I was going to start a similar thread to this tommorow, because I have serious concerns about the ability of our leadership group to actually show on-field leadership; and I don't really give a **** if they all show excellent leadership on the training track - you don't win shit for being good at training.

So, who is currently in our leadership group?

First, in isolation, let me just say how stupid that leadership group is - I don't care if the players vote for it; to have 4 guys over 30 in it is a joke.

Simon Goodwin (Capt) - Playing alright.
Tyson Edwards - Playing average, at best; 300+ games worth of credit buying him a bit of leeway.
Brett Burton - Gone.
Michael Doughty - Average at best; if he doesn't improve, should be dropped.
Scott Stevens - See above; almost irrelevant at this stage.
Ben Rutten - Playing OK, but not great.
Nathan van Berlo - Returning from injury justifies his current output, should get better.
Brad Symes - Injured.

8 man leadership group - only Goodwin would really be considered to be performing even slightly better than average at the moment - half of them should almost be playing in the SANFL.

And not a single player in that group who can take the game by the scruff of the neck, or who leads his teammates and demands more from them, or who fires them up and brings them into the game. Petrenko showed more leadership than any of those players tonight.

We have almost zero on-field leadership.

That's really, really depressing.

For everyone that says no to Thompson, I asked this question once before would Scott Thompson as captain of the AFC be the same stagnanting player as he is as a second tier player with no leadership role ???

Also why have the GC flagged him as a potential leader if he has no leadership qualities ???

First, in isolation, let me just say how stupid that leadership group is - I don't care if the players vote for it; to have 4 guys over 30 in it is a joke.

Simon Goodwin (Capt) - Playing alright.
Tyson Edwards - Playing average, at best; 300+ games worth of credit buying him a bit of leeway.
Brett Burton - Gone.
Michael Doughty - Average at best; if he doesn't improve, should be dropped.
Scott Stevens - See above; almost irrelevant at this stage.
Ben Rutten - Playing OK, but not great.
Nathan van Berlo - Returning from injury justifies his current output, should get better.
Brad Symes - Injured.

8 man leadership group - only Goodwin would really be considered to be performing even slightly better than average at the moment - half of them should almost be playing in the SANFL.

And not a single player in that group who can take the game by the scruff of the neck, or who leads his teammates and demands more from them, or who fires them up and brings them into the game. Petrenko showed more leadership than any of those players tonight.

We have almost zero on-field leadership.

That's really, really depressing.

Most glaring thing from our season has been the bolded statement above. When the game is there to be won we have not had a single player stand up and push us forward.

Worst leadership group in the AFL.

What's a real concern at the moment is the body language of the players. It just looks like they are sick and tired of playing for Craigy.

Worst leadership group in the AFL.

What's a real concern at the moment is the body language of the players. It just looks like they are sick and tired of playing for Craigy.

I agree.

And with years and years of losing close games and falling out of finals it gets to the team. If we won the flag in 2005 we would have repeated the following year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should give him the captaincy because hes stagnated?

Not sure i like that logic at all.

Thompsons had opportunities to demonstrate leadership on the field. You dont need to be captain to do this.

Sorry I didnt make it clear, what I meant to say was that the torch should have been passed to Thompson at the start of 2009, it's too late now for Thompson IMO.

VB is most probably at the right age now. This is the point I raised a while ago that besides VB we have no youth in our leadership group, I dont buy the theory that young players can show leadership especially given the structure of our leadership group which seems to built on a senior player hierachy.

Time to smash that glass ceiling and let the future leaders come through for next year.

I hate polls especially at times like this.

Goody is ok as captain not great but not crap either.

Patrick would still be my choice to lead our club when voting is next required.

I would love Danger as our next captain, but he is too young.

We should be offering Danger the vice captacy to get him to sign on the dotted line for a contract extension.

VB Captain, Danger Vice

Goodwin should stand down as Captain tommorow, concentrate on playing out the season.

The Leadership Group should be thrown open tommorow, and a new group selected at the mid-season break.

Not a single player in that group (bar VB) deserve to be there.

Petrenko and Walker show much leadership and spirit than those guys.

It's an embarrassment that our Club has gone from Bickey and Roo (two of the best Captains you could ask for), to this.

I've been saying for some time that our team lacks leadership. Last night was probably one of Goodies worst performances for quite some time.
His decision making is not good at the moment. Example : Last night when he received a fifty he choose to kick sideways instead of looking for options in our forward fifty.
I believe a good captain should have a physical presence about them as well as having footy smarts.

With respect to him, because I do love him, but the only way Goodwin is capable of leading onfield is by his performances when he plays well; he isn't physical, he doesn't fire up and demand other players come with him or do more, he doesn't stamp his authority on games anymore.

The rest of the leadership group (except Rutten and VB) shouldn't even be in it - they might be leaders on the training track, but they aren't on field.

I'm not sure if it is the worst....can't be arsed finding out exactly who the leadership groups comprise at the other clubs, but yes, ours is just abysmal.

Problems IMO:

8 players is at least two too many and reeks of a desperate attempt to manufacture strong leadership
Too many older players whose best footy is long behind them
Too many average plodder, solid citizen types and not a single player capable of dragging the team along by their on field actions
A captain who may be a great example on the training track and in offering guidance to young players, but is just a dismal on field leader

There's little doubt that the player empowerment rubbish selection process is at the very least going to have to be manipulated by the club for next year, otherwise we're going to have more of the same. Hopefully Burton, Doughty and Edwards won't be on the list, so are automatic exclusions, but there needs to be a total overhaul of the group with an eye to the future.

VB may very well end up being a good captain, but I hate the way that he's being groomed for it like he's the only option. When I watch a game of footy, I look at the guys who play like they want to captain the club, and for the AFC these guys are:
  1. Dangerfield
  2. Knights
  3. Maric
  4. McLeod
  5. Petrenko
  6. Van Berlo
  7. Rutten
I reckon that's just about in order too. Honourable mention goes to Porplyzia for his last few seasons, but I couldn't possibly put him in there on current form.

If age is a concern, then our next captain/vice captain should be Knights/Dangerfield. However, I honestly feel that despite his age, Dangerfield's style of play demands the captaincy, and he doesn't seem like the sort of 20 year old kid who would be completely overawed by this. He has a lot to learn about the game (uncontested possessions anyone?) but he'll be a top 10+ years skipper if picked for 2011.

Must admit I cringed when Doughty and Stevens were appointed to the leadership group. Perfect example of why the players should not be allowed to dictate who becomes leaders. Turns into a popularity contest.

I'm expecting Reilly will be appointed in 2011.

I really hate the direction Craig, Trigg and co. are taking this club.

I have never been a fan of a leadership group decided by their fellow players.

Yeah, I tend to think that there has to be a bit of design about it. Maybe let the players vote on it, but have the football department put some guidelines on it by making categories to vote on based on experience/games played.

Example
Rutten, Johncock from the 27 and over group
Knights, Maric, VB in the 23-27 year old group
Dangerfield, Petrenko in the under 23 group

That's not to say that a more senior player is automatically a more senior leader, it just ensures that the best leaders are selected regardless of age. I also think that leaders across all age groups would mean better cohesion between all players on our list, from the veterans to new draftees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back