Do You think Deledio " Hides in the Shadows"

Remove this Banner Ad

Deledio needs to learn how to break a tag, once he overcomes this he will be a star. This will all take time he is only 20 and i can personally promise everyone that he will reach a standard greater than many players.

Jake King must be mystified. Cam Howat has done more. Newman.

These blokes have done less?

King would be close but he hasnt played as many games and hasnt had as many good games as Deledio.

Howat. lol.

Newy. Real trier but has been no where near Deledio so far this year.

Look no further than Foley and Jake King. I woud say these two have been far better in terms of output that Tambling and Deledio.

Dont kid yourself. Deledio has been far from awesome. :rolleyes:

Watch Richmond week-in, week-out Mr Trump. A clearer picture might emerge!

Judging on Saturday night's game, you would think Leigh Montagna would be a triple Brownlow Medallist.

Deledio had a poor game..yes...but of all those draft picks in 2005...Roughhead, Griffen, Tabling and Franklin...Deledio has easily been the most consistently performed over three years.

Plays far more good games than bad ones.

Big deal...he didn't dominate one game against the Saints.

Oh there we go because you say so instead.
he is being tagged in all these positions? Generally if your thrown in as a forward you get a tag in a defender, I do wonder if Nathan Brown gets a tag.
However when a player is damaging you the tag switches to them unless a coach is being completely inept.
Richmond are a long term plan other wise they wouldn't state it so much.
Output is fact, Richmond are bottom they depend on this player like other teams depend on those players who are giving their teams more.
Deledio is likely to improve it but hasn't yet.

what are you talking about?

none of those players, none, are considered their sides most damaging players except perhaps for Murphy at Carlton and its no coincidence that his output has gone down from his scinitlating first season bc he is the number 1 target for opposition teams. Hes just turned 20 so to expect him to carry a side, i dont care how good he is, its not going to happen. But hes been one of our better contributors, easily top 5, cant ask for any more than that, although you seem to think so.

Did you see the game vs Stkilda? vs Geelong? vs Brisbane? Deledio goes to HB to break the tag and the opposition put a defensive minder on him. Attard, ling and Sherman. He goes forward to create a mismatch and this has worked with him kicking 1-2 goals a game since about rnd 5.

Fact is Deledio's stats are up on last season just like last season they were up on his first season. 15-17-20 yep no improvement there :rolleyes:

I dunno about not stepping up when needed in the saints game. He picked up 10-12 odd possies in the last quater after being poor for most the game. If thats not stepping up when needed im not sure what it.

Deledio was tagged heavily by the best tagger at St Kilda ... Jayden Attard.

Attard's long list of victims now include Davey, Schneider, Braun, McGrath and Betts.

Fast becoming the #1 quick small defender in the game, and completely shut Deledio out of the contest.
except lids was playing in the backline for most of the game.

Lids has been good but i agree that he should be thrown into the deep end a bit more and not be protected in the backline.

To ask a question would you be happy if the number2 pick of the super draft of 01 was tagging? I know i wouldnt, Ball is slowly becoming irrelevent in games.

what are you talking about?

Did you see the game vs Stkilda? vs Geelong? vs Brisbane? Deledio goes to HB to break the tag and the opposition put a defensive minder on him. Attard, ling and Sherman. He goes forward to create a mismatch and this has worked with him kicking 1-2 goals a game since about rnd 5.

Fact is Deledio's stats are up on last season just like last season they were up on his first season. 15-17-20 yep no improvement there :rolleyes:

Bang on TigerT.
Some folks are quick to jump on this kid. must be jealousy.

Hes never going to be a midfielder. Hes a half back flanker and will be so for the rest of his career

Granted we have a very good team, but Hurn has not simply received his touches, he has played on the oppositions best small foward every week and quelled them.

Hell, he flogs them, then rubs it in their face with a goal from outside fifty.

To an extent I agree that Rosa is helped by those around him, but when the chips were down against Geelong, he was still running, still puching and working hard.

The same cannot be said for Deledio and Tambling, there is no excuse for not putting in 100 % and not working hard enough.

Do not make the error of feeling anything less is exceptable. Voss would not make such an observation if he did not feel it warranted.

It is a mental problem and must be overcome. Otherwise, he will continue, along with Tambling, to fall behind.
Maybe a little bit of info may help you with what happened on Saturday. First half Deledio had 1 possession. Second half he had 17, while he may have got them by running around the back of the pack and getting a handball where was Attard to stop him from doing so. I have seen many other so called elite level players use the same tactic. In fact Kerr is one such player I have seen do this. Even on Saturday night, Dal Santo was trying the same thing when being tagged by Johnson. Harvey from the Roos does the same thing time and again. They use the player they are getting the handball off of to then provide the shepard. Maybe Deledio is finally waking up to a tactic that helps he break away from a tag for even 5 seconds which at his pace is enough for him to cause some damage.

Deledio had a poor game..yes...but of all those draft picks in 2005...Roughhead, Griffen, Tabling and Franklin...Deledio has easily been the most consistently performed over three years.
Debatable.
Newy. Real trier but has been no where near Deledio so far this year.
Never really noticed Newman all that much previous to this year, but I don't mind this bloke. Has a lethal left foot.

As to the OP, no. I don't.
Didn't like his game on the w/end, but Deledio is class. I doubt the Tiger heirachy are expending too much energy worrying about him.

All the people sledging Deledio and Tambling will look pretty silly in the next couple of years, they'll both be top players. Not sure about Tambling, but I honestly feel Deledio's progression hasn't been helped by having to fill a number of roles that don't suit his natural game. I've seen it before from other high draft picks, but once they settle down they'll be very good. I bet all other 15 clubs would trade for Deledio.

Debatable.

Never really noticed Newman all that much previous to this year, but I don't mind this bloke. Has a lethal left foot.

As to the OP, no. I don't.
Didn't like his game on the w/end, but Deledio is class. I doubt the Tiger heirachy are expending too much energy worrying about him.

Who's been more consistent from that top six?

Granted Franklin is a gun player and will clearly be star of the Carey mould in the future, he was playing ressies early last year, took a lot longer to break in to your senior team and does mix his form. His form after the Essendon game for three weeks was far from brilliant.

Roughhead? Give me a break!

Griffen...took a long time to break in to the Dogs line up, quite brilliant late in 2005 and 2006, went missing before getting injured this year.

Deledio has played all bar one game in three seasons and has been quickly getting better.

Or are you referring to Tom Williams????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are not watching west coast games are you?
You are not watching richmond games are you?
Deledio is outside the Richmond top 5 performers this season could soon slip out the top 10 being around 9th, he simply doesn't put in enough defensive work to be on the level of other players that people mention.

He has been in our top 3 or 4 players in about 8 games this season, was easily Best on against essendon and was probably our best player in 2 other games. He has had one a bit above average game against West Coast, 1 average game against Carlton, 1 poor half and 1 great half against St. Kilda and had 2 extremely poor games against Geelong and Brisbane. I do agree that his defensive pressure can be lax at times. But he can be very clever defensively by cutting of handballs and kicks and backs into packs and runs with the flight of the ball with great courage.

He's being outperformed by 3rd year players in Chris Knights, Heath Shaw, Van Berlo, Rosa, Jordan Lewis, Clinton Young, Danyle Pearce, Nick Malceski, Josh Drummond, Troy Selwood second years Ben McGlynn, Matthew Bate, Marc Murphy, Scott Pendleberry and first year Matt Priddis.

Malceski and Selwood are 5th year players and Drummond and heath Shaw are 4th year. And priddis is a 2nd year, tho he is 2 years Deledio's senior. With such fine research and attention to detail im sure that you are truly a person in a position to say he has been outperformed by the above players :rolleyes:

The fact is he is meant to improve but he hasn't and these guys have or are already doing better and Richmond need him and he is sinking rather then swimming.

Geez if deledio hasnt improved this season i hate to think what he will actually do when he does. ;)

Who's been more consistent from that top six?
yeah, look you're probably right. Top 6 seems quite an arbitrary figure, can see why you'd prefer that to the top 7 though.;)

Of those, you could mount a decent argument that Buddy has been as consistent. His playing style has tended to perpetuate a myth amongst the unlearned that he is inconsistent, when in reality he is far from it.

Granted Franklin is a gun player and will clearly be star of the Carey mould in the future, he was playing ressies early last year, took a lot longer to break in to your senior team and does mix his form. His form after the Essendon game for three weeks was far from brilliant.
From memory, he played one game in the ressies, coming back from injury.
His form post-Essendon game was hardly ordinary though. What was ordinary was his conversion, still created plenty of opportunities, just didn't capitalise on them.

Roughhead? Give me a break!
No, not him. Been sensational of late, but took time to hit his straps. Like most players of his size/style do.

Griffen...took a long time to break in to the Dogs line up, quite brilliant late in 2005 and 2006, went missing before getting injured this year.
Agreed, he's beeen better and more consistent than Griffen.

Deledio has played all bar one game in three seasons and has been quickly getting better.
Agreed.

I'm not knocking Deledio, I've said from day one the bloke is a star and I've never wavered from that.
Maybe I'm just looking for a debate where there isn't one?;)

Of that 2004 bunch, the Tigers, Hawks and Dogs should all be pretty content.

Dogs - Despite a relatively disappointing 2007, Griffen has shown that he's going to be a star. Taking him in front of Franklin and Tambling was questionable at the time, but the Dogs have shaped him into a longterm key player. Williams has been very stiff with injury but has shown some signs that he will repay the faith.

Hawks - Franklin and Lewis have been gems. Based on the first half of 2007, they could have gone 1 & 2 in any draft. Roughy only suffers in comparison to these two, otherwise his progress appears solid too.

Tigers - Tambling missed virtually his entire first season through injury but has established himself as a First XXII standard pick. He might not have a Brownlow vote this year yet, but his development is very sound, and just getting games under his belt is extremely beneficial. 13 goals is a reasonable output.

Deledio has added that real polish to the Tiger halfback line that was never provided by Chaffey, Kellaway(s), Rogers, Torney, Fiora etc. So much so that he attracts the key opposition tagger normally reserved for a mid-sized forward. His 20 possessions are worth 30 from most other players as the Tigers are far more likely to enter 50 after Deledio has been part of the chain than if he hasn't. He's also drifted forward for 9.5 himself.

I honestly wouldn't swap him for anyone else in that 2004 draft. Future captain.

Deledio was tagged heavily by the best tagger at St Kilda ... Jayden Attard.

Attard's long list of victims now include Davey, Schneider, Braun, McGrath and Betts.

Fast becoming the #1 quick small defender in the game, and completely shut Deledio out of the contest.

Would you say that he has superceded Baker in this respect?

Michael Voss does and considering his weak efforts against the Saints when they needed the 50 + gamer to lift, he didnt.

Voss observed that Deledio jogged from contest to contest and was "always around the back looking for cheap kicks"

"That isnt going to help his team or worry his opponent" he went on to say and the baking he copped from Robert Walls was just as potent.

Given his selection as the number one selection the argument that "he is only a kid" wear thin after 50 + games.

What amazed me was the efforts of Richmonds other 1st round draft pick Richard Tambling, he too was terrible and continues to under-perform.

These picks should be valued, the level of mental appraisal obviously needs to be higher by Richmond and other clubs who seem to be blinded by the natural talent and overlook the lack of mental strength of the these young men.

You are an obsessed ****face

Conveniently negleget to mention Deledio's past month leading up to admitidley a poor showing sat nite

Go get ****ed asswipe

That's what I heard last year, that he'd have a break out year in his third ala Judd.

Im a West Coast member.

Hurn, Rosa have both over-taken Deldio also.

Hurn and Rosa arent fit to tie Deledio's bootlaces. Must be easy getting kicks in a midfield with Judd Kerr and co :rolleyes:

Deledio looks great on paper, ie seems the complete package, however will never become the sort of player you would call upon to go into the middle, 29 min mark last quarter in a grand final like a voss, etc. Of the current young players you could tell Hodge had that innate quality from his 2nd season. What Deledio lacks is physicality and an ability to impose himself.

Tambling, Franklin, Roughhead, Griffin are all getting better.

Deledio is getting worse.

Therein lies the problem.

Unfortunately, Griffins best year was 2005.. Has been in mild decline since then. I for one am very disappointed with his efforts sofar this year. Thought he was going to be a gun.. :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Do You think Deledio " Hides in the Shadows"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back