Does watching rugby league origin make you jealous

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know if jealous or envious is the word, but it always makes me ask why we don't have it anymore. I know there are reasons, but more we should bring it back. Even an annual Vic vs Allies match the weekend after the GF. Though given how many good WA players there are I reckon we'd hold our own. Hoping it'll happen one day, but not holding my breath.

Yeah people would get really fired up to support the "Allies" side!
Even as a QLDer I'd much rather see SA or WA than an Allies team.

Just have the 4 origin teams IMO and follow the under 18s model

WA
SA
Vic Metro
Vic Country

Gets more of the Victorian based players involved as a bonus

I'll start this thread but saying I follow both codes but like Aussie rules more and last might was the only origin game this year I have watched.

Watching last night and what a great contest it was made me really jealous and upset that we don't have origin.

Question for those that watched last does it make you upset/jealous or have you just accepted it's gone and you just enjoy it in another sport for the contest it is?
I don't think there are any other sports that do a State of Origin thing.

The NBA is ready to bin their All Star game as no one wants it. The MLB one is just a hit and giggle.

State of Origin is weirdly unique.

The only reason it works is because NSW and Queensland hate each other. That in itself is just weird. No one in Victoria under the age of 70 hates another state.

The concept of the best players putting on an exhibition game is great. The best of the best going at each other is awesome in theory. But to work, they need to be trying their guys out.

And that is the issue.

To be honest, I love rugby league, but whilst the Origin game is entertaining, my overwhelming feeling when I watch it is one of cringe. I just can't work out for the life of me why they care about beating another state so much. It's hilarious.

Yeah people would get really fired up to support the "Allies" side!
Even as a QLDer I'd much rather see SA or WA than an Allies team.
Yes but just thinking in terms of fairness. But like I said I feel a WA state team would be formidable. It's a shame prime Fyfe, Cripps, Buddy etc never got to play in a SOO match for WA.

The NBA is ready to bin their All Star game as no one wants it. The MLB one is just a hit and giggle.

The only reason it works is because NSW and Queensland hate each other. That in itself is just weird. No one in Victoria under the age of 70 hates another state.

The concept of the best players putting on an exhibition game is great. The best of the best going at each other is awesome in theory. But to work, they need to be trying their guys out.

And that is the issue.

To be honest, I love rugby league, but whilst the Origin game is entertaining, my overwhelming feeling when I watch it is one of cringe. I just can't work out for the life of me why they care about beating another state so much. It's hilarious.
I think it's mostly in the NRL context. Don't think there's any real hatred outside that, more a friendly rivalry. Kind of how Melburnians diss Sydney but Sydney couldn't care less. I think Melbourne vs Sydney and Vic vs NSW is the bigger rivalry.

The thing that puts me off SOO in AFL is the risk of club champions suffering season ending injuries. Remember Tony Hall from Hawthorn (and IIRC it was a Hawks teammate that fell on him). And this was the reason teams withdrew players from SOO at the last minute - to avoid injury. In AFL the money is in the H&A competition, not a meaningless round robin competition.

NSW and QLD are now producing elite AFL talent, but there's no way those states could do justice to SOO and we don't want Allies...

Yes it gives me the thump and thudder in my chest and gut that I have when my wife goes on another shagapp date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hugh McCluggage did his knee playing for Victoria or Lachie Neale for SA in a silly exhibition game I'd be done with this sport.

Last edited:

And that is the issue.

I would love the NBA all star game to be USA v international all stars but they won't do it cause USA would lose

I'll start this thread but saying I follow both codes but like Aussie rules more and last might was the only origin game this year I have watched.

Watching last night and what a great contest it was made me really jealous and upset that we don't have origin.

Question for those that watched last does it make you upset/jealous or have you just accepted it's gone and you just enjoy it in another sport for the contest it is?

That fan base cares more about 3 state vs state games than the majority of their codes regular season.

As an AFL fan we get those 'battles' week after week.

The jealously is definitely coming from the other side. You only need to look at all the insecure Leagues fans (starting with their CEO) taking pot shots at the AFL every chance they get. It's never reciprocated because why would it need to be?

Can’t see it ever happening again. Clubs and coaches would never commit to it and risk serious injury to their players. For example, do you think the Pies would risk Naicos or the Blues Cripps? I think not, so you wouldn’t get the best players in the sides anyway.

Personally I’d never be jealous of NRL. Doesn’t excite me at all, however I think their send off rule is good.

I don't think Aussie rules at high levels is suited to representative games. there is too much going on in terms of game plan. The state games were ok when the game plan was this:

• stay in your position
  • get away from your direct opponent when we have the ball, stick with him when they have the ball
  • when you get the ball, kick it as far as you can toward our goals
  • never, ever move the ball sideways
  • when the umpire is not looking, punch blokes in the back of the head

But game plans are different now. when you get a new coach it takes 4-8 games to start playing the way he is planning. its not just lining up your champion players and letting them go for it. (Big call - I reckon an origin team from any state would struggle to beat a regular AFL team as they would be too easily exploited strategically).

League? great game but when you compare the fitness, size, motivation, strategy mix with Aussie rules.... league has important strategy but its much less influential than Aussie rules. That means that for league, rep games like state of origin are still great quality. not the case for the AFL

That fan base cares more about 3 state vs state games than the majority of their codes regular season.

As an AFL fan we get those 'battles' week after week.

The jealously is definitely coming from the other side. You only need to look at all the insecure Leagues fans (starting with their CEO) taking pot shots at the AFL every chance they get. It's never reciprocated because why would it need to be?
Agree with a lot of what you are saying. The biggest supporter bases seem to be the Broncos and Storm. Sydney sports fans don't turn up weekend week out only for the big events. The Swans are the only Sydney sporting club that consistently pull big crowds. It's not just Rugby league. I went up to Sydney to watch United play the Kongs a few years ago and the stadium was empty, 3 months later the Kings have been on a roll and pack it out for the GF.

I'm not jealous overall but I loved Wednesday night and wish we could have something like that.

Just have the 4 origin teams IMO and follow the under 18s model

WA
SA
Vic Metro
Vic Country

Gets more of the Victorian based players involved as a bonus
I like the idea of Origin as a hypothetical more than actually doing it.
So hypothetically I would have WA v SA and Vic Metro v Vic Country and the winner of WA v SA play a combined Vic side

I like the idea of Origin as a hypothetical more than actually doing it.
So hypothetically I would have WA v SA and Vic Metro v Vic Country and the winner of WA v SA play a combined Vic side

Not sure you would have much buy in having 2 weeks of origin a year for some players on top of a full season

Remove this Banner Ad

Does watching rugby league origin make you jealous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back