Review Dogs 110 thrash Demons 59

Remove this Banner Ad

3:41 on the Kayo replay Jordan Lewis shows some really good footage of what Vanders does, Bucks goes on to explain it further too.

Watched it. Loved that footage of Vandermeer pushing extremely hard on a lead at half back where he was always unlikely to get the ball. That sort of effort to create space behind him for someone else to lead into is so important.

can u give us a recap of what was said?
Partly what has been talked about on here about running hard and repeatedly closing down space and providing pressure.

But the highlighted footage showed Vanders forcing the oppo to cover his hard running out to the wing which opens a hole back in the corridor for us to use.

what did he say in detail?
It was Jordan Lewis on Fox. He mentioned that his role is repeated sprints to the outside, which in turn draws the defenders with him and opens up pockets of space for the midfielders and forwards to lead into. A thankless role outside the club as he gets no stat for it, however something that would he mentioned on the Monday morning review. The all mentioned his GPS stats were amazing.

Worth noting that, off a 5 day break, Buku Khamis led our time on ground with 93%.

I know tall defenders often lead tog, but still a great sign given the queries on his tank not that long ago.

Obviously done a lot of work.
Bevo mentioned there was a plane delay too and the players didn't get home until 1 am. So almost only a 4 day break.

It was Jordan Lewis on Fox. He mentioned that his role is repeated sprints to the outside, which in turn draws the defenders with him and opens up pockets of space for the midfielders and forwards to lead into. A thankless role outside the club as he gets no stat for it, however something that would he mentioned on the Monday morning review. The all mentioned his GPS stats were amazing.
He had led the comp in repeat sprints constantly and he's always praised by his teammates.
It's a shame that we tend to judge players by stats when at the top level we need more selfless players, not less.

Worth noting that, off a 5 day break, Buku Khamis led our time on ground with 93%.

I know tall defenders often lead tog, but still a great sign given the queries on his tank not that long ago.

Obviously done a lot of work.
It's a reason why Lobb works so well in the backline too He'd rack up 90%+ TOG games as a forward. Has a serious tank for a big guy.

Honestly there is something very different in us now. Ever since we got to 3-5 we’ve been rock solid.

Our losses are to Geelong, Freo, Melbourne, Sydney, Hawthorn, Essendon, Port and Brisbane.

The first four of those we beat the second time around. We were probably never as bad as it looked, and our percentage has been good almost the whole way through.

And each of the last four has been the same - smash them in the middle from the start, drive it forward and lock it in until they get tired.
Just have to stick fat….of those losses, all of Geel, Freo, Syd could have been wins, Hawks and Bombers too but not as much .

Only Melb, Port and Brisbane you’d say no chance however the team was missing some big names v Bris and Port

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 day turnaround. Didn’t notice
Wonder if Dunks watching was still thinking we aren’t doing enough running?

Probably one of the key personnel changes was the fitness guy….if we win the flag, I hope Bevo calls up the fitness guy….or even better….if we beat Brisbane….he calls up Dunkley 😂

Hope it’s not too early

Yes hope we’re not peaking too early but in saying that we kinda needed to, to be a chance to make finals altogether.

Still three important games left that we need to win to get there.

Plenty of water to go under the bridge but I’m just enjoying this current ride.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did his explanation look anything like this?

1722638656067.png

1722638717369.png

1722638797297.png

In case anyone is is interested, this is an analysis of VDM's role I offered a few weeks ago.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-flu-game-bulldogs-dismantle-freo.1382730/post-84058619

I can’t explain it, but getting to watch Bont play for the team I support genuinely feels like a privilege lol.
There was a moment on the wing in the 4th that’s worth another look. Treloar has a run, a bounce and gets a well deserved round of applause in his 250th. The ball comes to Bont who is backed up against the boundary. So simple but so elegantly, he spins his man and gets himself free. Bont is so damaging and such a bull, but the thing that sets him apart, for me, is his grace and elegance.

I could cry at the thought of this man hanging up his boots one day.

Not everyone can have 30 possessions. On offense, they lead wide and spread the opposition defence creating holes for our kickers to lead and pierce through.
On defence, they close space quickly or pressure the outlet allowing our interceptors to win back the ball for our kickers.

Last edited:
Lobb perhaps less flashy this game but picked up another 20 disposals, 10 intercept possessions and 6 spoils. The thing that stands out though and why the move has worked so well is his how agile, clean and composed he is at ground level/with ball in hand. We get all the upside of having the tallest defender in the league without any real downside for our ground game.

The room for improvement in our defence is probably the Coffield spot. I don’t mind us having two medium defenders with him and Khamis, so would lean toward replacing him with O’Donnell, who is quick and athletic enough and a great field kick. Although I do think both could eventually come out for O’Donnell and another mid, with Williams moving to half back, *or for Freijah.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dogs 110 thrash Demons 59

Remove this Banner Ad

Back