Review Dogs 110 thrash Demons 59

Remove this Banner Ad

Lobb perhaps less flashy this game but picked up another 20 disposals, 10 intercept possessions and 6 spoils. The thing that stands out though and why the move has worked so well is his how agile, clean and composed he is at ground level/with ball in hand. We get all the upside of having the tallest defender in the league without any real downside for our ground game.

The room for improvement in our defence is probably the Coffield spot. I don’t mind us having two medium defenders with him and Khamis, so would lean toward replacing him with O’Donnell, who is quick and athletic enough and a great field kick. Although I do think both could eventually come out for O’Donnell and another mid, with Williams moving to half back, *or for Freijah.

It's seriously odd how comfortable he has looked in the backline. Has looked lost at sea when the ball hits the deck as a forward in the past.

Worth noting that, off a 5 day break, Buku Khamis led our time on ground with 93%.

I know tall defenders often lead tog, but still a great sign given the queries on his tank not that long ago.

Obviously done a lot of work.
His second half was significantly better than his first, it needed to be, but a higher level of fitness allowed it

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whilst our usual guns are firing its our improved bottom 6 who could push us well into September.

Poulter, wow, so good last night, his hands were clean, his marking, his kicking (apart from one clunker) was good and he gave us an avenue on his wing.

McNeill, still fumbly, but his forward defensive pressure is better and is contributing to stopping teams with easy exits from our forward 50.

Williams, has regained his composure from a few years ago, one of those players who has "time" with the ball at his best. Good kick.

Buku, improved, good hands, improving his reading of the game, becoming a good interceptor, work to do when the ball hits the ground.

Garcia now becoming important, played a role on Oliver last night and frustrated him, has run and offensively better.

VDM, still frustrates with his decision making, was better last night, could have had a couple of goals, thought his long bouncing kick got through but must have skimmed the post.

Is it just me or is Bevo and our new coaching panel putting a lot more time and planning into the opposition? We stifled the Swans and Geelong through the corridor, the use of Weightman and West to counter Weitering 4 weeks ago and Garcia's role on Oliver last night. Is contributing to keeping our opponents to low scores.

Can't remember the Dogs having a 122% percentage so late in the season, even in our 2008-2010 run and 2015-2016, always conceded too much.

There was a moment on the wing in the 4th that’s worth another look. Treloar has a run, a bounce and gets a well deserved round of applause in his 250th. The ball comes to Bont who is backed up against the boundary. So simple but so elegantly, he spins his man and gets himself free. Bont is so damaging and such a bull, but the thing that sets him apart, for me, is his grace and elegance.

I could cry at the thought of this man hanging up his boots one day.
"Bont robbed that ...right in front of me!!!, right in front of me!!!"
It was almost in slow motion and poetic, Bont had no right to grab that and to execute what he did, it should have really been a chaos ball that would eventually go over the boundary for a throw in. Bont should get a fooled us trophy by Penn and Teller when they tour Australia for that sleight of hand. Great call out Mantis Toboggan

If it’s a choice between Coffield or Khamis , it’s Buku for me.

With Lobbs ability to take contested marks that allows Buku to play more of an intercept role. Lobb has taken a ton of pressure off Jones down back

With the current setup Buku offers more versatility on the backline IMO

I often thought it was a choice of Buku or Coffield with Freijah to take their spot.

I’ve changed my mind. I think both make me a little too uncomfortable with their respective weaknesses. JOD offers a nice blend of both Buku & Coffield and is quick enough to play on medium types. He has neat skills, pace and an ability to intercept.

I’d bring in JOD & Freijah for Buku & Coffield. Does Bevo mess too much with a winning formula?

Duryea Jones JOD
Dale Lobb Bramble
Freijah
Buku can make me a little nervous at times specially defending the crafty types but he’s improving all the time and stays in for me. Freijah for Coffield is the change for me. JOD will need to bide his time for now IMO.

Lobb perhaps less flashy this game but picked up another 20 disposals, 10 intercept possessions and 6 spoils

This IMO effort if consistent will keep him well ahead of JOD and Gardner

Scary that Darcy is just simmering away. With every game he gets closer to exploding and is already having big moments.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree, he’s bubbling away with the odd shot of lava here and there but when (not if) he explodes it will be beyond scary. Let hope it’s in the Grand Final 😊

There was a moment on the wing in the 4th that’s worth another look. Treloar has a run, a bounce and gets a well deserved round of applause in his 250th. The ball comes to Bont who is backed up against the boundary. So simple but so elegantly, he spins his man and gets himself free. Bont is so damaging and such a bull, but the thing that sets him apart, for me, is his grace and elegance.

I could cry at the thought of this man hanging up his boots one day.

I gasped when that happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst our usual guns are firing its our improved bottom 6 who could push us well into September.

Poulter, wow, so good last night, his hands were clean, his marking, his kicking (apart from one clunker) was good and he gave us an avenue on his wing.

McNeill, still fumbly, but his forward defensive pressure is better and is contributing to stopping teams with easy exits from our forward 50.

Williams, has regained his composure from a few years ago, one of those players who has "time" with the ball at his best. Good kick.

Buku, improved, good hands, improving his reading of the game, becoming a good interceptor, work to do when the ball hits the ground.

Garcia now becoming important, played a role on Oliver last night and frustrated him, has run and offensively better.

VDM, still frustrates with his decision making, was better last night, could have had a couple of goals, thought his long bouncing kick got through but must have skimmed the post.

Is it just me or is Bevo and our new coaching panel putting a lot more time and planning into the opposition? We stifled the Swans and Geelong through the corridor, the use of Weightman and West to counter Weitering 4 weeks ago and Garcia's role on Oliver last night. Is contributing to keeping our opponents to low scores.

Can't remember the Dogs having a 122% percentage so late in the season, even in our 2008-2010 run and 2015-2016, always conceded too much.

Excellent review.
Would be great to find a better version of McNeil. Someone that provided that pressure but more skilled.
I have come to terms with VDM.
Sounds crazy ( and probably is ) but wouldn’t be surprised he has a game where all goes well for him and he kicks 4 or 5 goals .
Maybe I celebrated a little too hard last night 🤪

Did anyone else at the game notice our midfield tactics? We always had a mid starting at half back at the centre bounce, Bramble wing and then they’d switch it. At times Ed or Garcia started back (Bont did once also).

Was it to try break a tag on Ed?

I noticed the same thing last week. Dale's also been on the wing a few times in that same role. It might just be that there are times we don't want to start the extra mid forward and give them a spare defender. It's an interesting change.

That was impressive football and our clinical nature in which we moved the ball was impressive. We haven't been that skilled and direct to goal for a number of games, and many of our outside players were the ones that drove the win, even if that's been our weakest positions. Defensively, our press was good too.

On the flipside, I'm going to be a little bit not as positive about our defenders, though, it's comparison to the rest of the match being dominant for us and them coming down to earth a bit from a great three weeks as a unit. While we kept Melbourne to just the 39 inside 50s (which is absolutely dominant and our defenders obviously had a part in that), they still had 20 shots on goal, and in some ways it reminded me of that Hawthorn loss earlier in the year to a less extreme extent were a lot of our ball movement and pressing was good but we actually couldn't do the defensive stuff in our own defensive 50.

In fairness, we were playing around with tactics a bit and we went with a bit more all-out attack game style and gave our back flankers and wingers license to get forward and push for our own scoring so it's always inevitable, but the cherry on top would have been to see our defenders manage to stop the opposition a little and let them only have 14 or 18 or whatever shots on goal instead of the 20 they had. I thought Jones, Lobb, Khamis were just okay (with Duryea better). Not bad, but not good, just okay.
Taking out Libba and resting Bont for large portions of the last was always going to allow for Melbourne to get more ball and better field position which would account for the better entries which led too higher scores for Melbourne.
So the defence was challenged harder than really necessary but Bevo managing players for a possible top 4 tilt and hopefully Max health come the finals series

I noticed the same thing last week. Dale's also been on the wing a few times in that same role. It might just be that there are times we don't want to start the extra mid forward and give them a spare defender. It's an interesting change.
Having the mid charging off the line clogs up that space where we used to get opened up in clearances.

I guess it hurts their forward structure too because no team is going to leave Bont or Ed unmarked to follow their own structure

Unbelievable game to be at live. Loved the passion in the crowd, especially after with people singing and dancing on the concourse. Proud westy moment.

Question and apologies if has been covered - is English at risk of time off from his high hit early in the game? The 50m was ludicrous but didn't see enough of it to know if he's in strife.
Yes , watching on TV I was worried for Tim as well.
Innitially thought he would be sent from the field, but I may have missed the outcome as we were grandy sitting too.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think of this when they see Poulter running at speed up and down the wing?

images

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dogs 110 thrash Demons 59

Remove this Banner Ad

Back