Review Dogs 110 thrash Demons 59

Remove this Banner Ad

Lobb perhaps less flashy this game but picked up another 20 disposals, 10 intercept possessions and 6 spoils. The thing that stands out though and why the move has worked so well is his how agile, clean and composed he is at ground level/with ball in hand. We get all the upside of having the tallest defender in the league without any real downside for our ground game.

100%.

I think it's fair to say we've all been various degrees of surprised by how good his been, but the biggest positive for me has been his kicking!

I remember there being a couple of shockers very early on, but some of the 30-50m passes he's nailed during this run have been outstanding.

100%.

I think it's fair to say we've all been various degrees of surprised by how good his been, but the biggest positive for me has been his kicking!

I remember there being a couple of shockers very early on, but some of the 30-50m passes he's nailed during this run have been outstanding.
His release of the ball is quick too, not something you see everyday in a bloke who is 200cm. Also the once a game torp he unleashes is great.

100%.

Not to mention the torps from kick outs.

So much better than Caleb’s 15 m side passes.

My favourite highlights last night was when Oliver got that hospital ball and Jones came from behind full steam ahead , slammed into him and punched the ball hard over the fence right in front of the members causing Oliver to slam into the turf 😂.

And then Garcia tackling him over the line in front of the members too with the Argey Bargey 😂

People are very harsh on Coffield.

Guy hasn’t played for 3 years. Has played what 7 or 8 games for the club.

His positioning is great and skills excellent - just needs time.

Also note how good he is one on one - easily could play third tall defender given his size.
This can be true, but we're the form team of the comp with players with excellent VFL form and few injuries in the team.

It can be both true that Coffield has some good attributes, is good enough to make the best 22 for an average form AFL team, but as a top team winning by heavy margins in the VFL and AFL he is a strong weakest link, and we can still explore ways to pick our strongest team to try and win the flag among 6 or 8 other excellent players currently in the VFL.

Take Charlie Clarke - one game subbed out and rest of the season in the VFL. He'd have played 12 or 15 games if he was at a bottom six club this season, for example.

Lobb perhaps less flashy this game but picked up another 20 disposals, 10 intercept possessions and 6 spoils. The thing that stands out though and why the move has worked so well is his how agile, clean and composed he is at ground level/with ball in hand. We get all the upside of having the tallest defender in the league without any real downside for our ground game.

The room for improvement in our defence is probably the Coffield spot. I don’t mind us having two medium defenders with him and Khamis, so would lean toward replacing him with O’Donnell, who is quick and athletic enough and a great field kick. Although I do think both could eventually come out for O’Donnell and another mid, with Williams moving to half back, *or for Freijah.
Thought he was not quite as excellent defensively with his inexperience as a defender showing through a bit more in other games - there were times where he got a bit lost tracking players in defence, following players in space and maybe erred on being a bit too rushed and aggressive handballing the ball wanting to rebound quickly from intercept. Still, his intercept work, agility, groundball stuff and compusure under pressure like you say was great and given he really only has to be a role player, I'm becoming more and more confident with him every week.

People are very harsh on Coffield.

Guy hasn’t played for 3 years. Has played what 7 or 8 games for the club.

His positioning is great and skills excellent - just needs time.

Also note how good he is one on one - easily could play third tall defender given his size.

Totally agree. He’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Really impressed with Buku's progression. He had the strong intercept game early in the season. Seeing him yesterday he seems to have done alot of work on knowing when to fly and when to engage his opponent to let Jones/Lobb fly. A few "oh no" moments racing back to goal but he's far more accountable than early season. Good win and if we continue to play like that and improve the accuracy we are going to 100 point annihilate some teams before the year is out.

VDM a game high 3 Goal Assists. His team mates know why he continues to be selected and they're on board with it.

Poulter had an excellent game too. 7 tackles and heaps of metres gained.

Lots of role players playing their roles well.

Gonna be tough to break into this line up.

Maybe JOD, Freijah and Sanders/Macrae for Khamis, Coffield and Garcia is where the main alternative selections lie.
Just feel that Garcia's combative nature is purpose built for finals footy. You just know he isn't going to take a backwards step

Starting to get more goals from the midfield more regularly. Makes us a different force.

We are humming when we have Bont, English, Richards and Treloar hitting the scoreboard.

And especially when the wingers get amongst it as well. Poulter / Williams have been chipping in, kicking a few as of late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches are really killing it at the moment. All their changes have worked perfectly.

Injuries are minimal and we are playing with confidence.

It's probably Lobb and Richards being the key changes here. Buku can now support without getting a mismatch.

English had been solid after a shakey first half of the season.

Bramble playing out of his skin and looks faster now than he did earlier.

I'm loving calm and media friendly Bevo. Just like when he started.

Should really challenge from here.

Dons falling back to their rightful place outside the eight makes things even better.

We looked really fast and exciting tonight. They couldn’t keep up.

Now for the biggest bulldog test of all.. don’t lose to the non finalist teams over the next two weeks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think one thing I’ve noticed is the big clearing boot from defence, roosting the ball over the lines and finding space

Often found our team has been too flaky in the past and it’s vital those fringe/role players are the ones who provide the mongrel/workrate.

Garcia is needed and it’s why Harmes was recruited. I’d double down and have them both in the team when fully fit and firing.

Too often we have been bullied in the past. We need some bullies on our side.

Even Lobb is an asset in that regard, he’s big and strong and doesn’t mind getting his face in the opposition.

Thought I might have been the only one. I'm glad you're with me, Stef! 😁

My wife (a rabid Dogs fan) left the room midway through the 3rd, sick of me yelling af the screen.

Bad kicking is bad football, even when we dish out a whipping like that.

Should have won by 15 goals!
I think we were 38pts up in the 3rd or early 4th and I said to my son that I still felt they would get on a run of goals. It just didn’t feel enough…..I think it’s called long time dogs supporter syndrome

Im not so sure if Richards would've been released into the midfield to the same extent that he has. If at all.

If Bramble wasn't on the list.

I know that the Richards move gets a lot of credit for the way we move the ball. However, the fact that we once again have two offensive kicking half backs with Dale and Bramble in the side and the effect that they've had on our ball movement needs to be recognised. With JJ's career winding down due to injuries. The recruitment of Bramble has been a far sighted masterstroke. Whomever was responsible for bringing him to the club deserves all the monies.

Given my strike rate on such things. I can only assume that I shit talked him as well. When he arrived at the club.
Don’t worry Norm, I can clearly remember when we drafted Doc that I said what the hell do we want that diarrhoea guy from the Hawks for…he’s useless….😂

He’s actually not wrong. Bont’s 3 vote games aren’t equal to Neale’s 3 vote games.
This is where it sucks….every chance Neale is up there again and how anyone who knows footy could say that Neale was a Triple Brownlow medallist and Bont has none.

I know it’s an individual award but that really take the shine off it

Cripps as well, he isn’t even 3/4s as good as Bont, yet he’s got one as well and possibly another one

I'm glad the words were changed from " We'll come out smiling if we win or lose.!"

To me that particular line reaks of mediocrity and a footy club that accepts mediocrity and isn't all about fostering a winning culture..

The new words in the song are much better and more positive.
I still remember trudging out of games…definitely not smiling….listening to most likely Essendon or Carlton flogs singing “sons of disgrace”

VDM a game high 3 Goal Assists. His team mates know why he continues to be selected and they're on board with it.

Poulter had an excellent game too. 7 tackles and heaps of metres gained.

Lots of role players playing their roles well.

Gonna be tough to break into this line up.

Maybe JOD, Freijah and Sanders/Macrae for Khamis, Coffield and Garcia is where the main alternative selections lie.
CD doesn’t stay in for mine. Garcia doing good things too.

You lucky bastard , must be like going to heaven , watching us finally smash the demons while in such a wonderful city 👍
It’s something about that city, I was there in 2000 the night we stopped Essendons streak….except iPads and iPhones didn’t exist and I could only get the scores on the AFL webpage….when I could find an internet cafe

Did his explanation look anything like this?

View attachment 2066930

View attachment 2066932

View attachment 2066933

In case anyone is is interested, this is an analysis of VDM's role I offered a few weeks ago.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-flu-game-bulldogs-dismantle-freo.1382730/post-84058619
I think what gets people with vdm is when he fumbles it, overruns it or drops the mark when it does actually get to him.

That’s what people see and remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dogs 110 thrash Demons 59

Remove this Banner Ad

Back