Dogs 2016 vs Lions 2024 - who had the better run

Who had the better premiership run between Brisbane 2024 and Bulldogs 2016

• Western Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Brisbane Lions 2024

Votes: 22 68.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like the “aura” of making/winning from outside the 4 now isn’t what it was in 2016. This year was also extremely close I don’t think anyone could say with confidence Brisbane were the fifth best team in it.

Having said that winning 3 interstate finals on the run is extremely impressive
First time since 1998?

Edit: Covid years notwithstanding.

I feel like the “aura” of making/winning from outside the 4 now isn’t what it was in 2016. This year was also extremely close I don’t think anyone could say with confidence Brisbane were the fifth best team in it.

Having said that winning 3 interstate finals on the run is extremely impressive

Dogs had the biggest umpiring armchair ride in history.

What Brisbane did this year was unprecedented. They also started the season 0-3.

This is a silly thread, Dogs without a question. Lions made the grand final LAST year and lost it by five points, Dogs hadn't been in a grand final in god knows how long and they were the away team every match. Lions have also been building for years while the Dogs lost their elimination final in 2015, and from 2010 to 2014 they didn't even make finals. Dogs really did come from nowhere to win it.

This is a silly thread, Dogs without a question. Lions made the grand final LAST year and lost it by five points, Dogs hadn't been in a grand final in god knows how long and they were the away team every match. Lions have also been building for years while the Dogs lost their elimination final in 2015, and from 2010 to 2014 they didn't even make finals. Dogs really did come from nowhere to win it.

I believe the intent is to compare the season, not the build-up.

Lions had to do the triple-travel.

Dogs travelled twice, and had a cozy game at the G in between those two.

Lions in the context of being 2-5 and riddled with season-ending injuries, and then 44 and 25 down in consecutive away finals…

… we were dead and buried more than once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion it is one of the greatest seasons I have seen for a team in terms of the pathway to the Premiership win and also taking into account their injury list too - it was a big injury list and they still got the job done. Well done Brisbane, 2-5 after the first seven games and then for the next 20 games: 16-3 & 1 draw.

Seriously...amazing effort.

It's hard to win 3 interstate finals in a row
3?
I was on the Lions. Thought they'd win and glad they did, but whilst the MCG might be an interstate venue, it's a neutral ground for both sides, so doesn't really count IMO.
I enjoyed the Bulldogs' win, as my wife is a Dogs supporter, but I think the Lions' run was better. 14 wins from their last 16 games after going 4-6 and a draw.

Brisbane for sure.
If we Adelaide defeated West Coast at home in the final round in 2016 or won another game (infamous Troy Pannell game and Hawthorn games), we would've finished 2nd rather than a Hawthorn on last legs. That would've changed the whole finals series. Plus Bulldogs didn't play Geelong who were their bogey team at the time. And the umpiring.

I will say Brisbane and their 2024 finals run was impressive. Winning 4 finals is hard.

3 of them were away .

Mind you the dogs 2016 finals run was impressive too. Had to win in WA then at the MCG vs the hawks then vs GWS in NSW then finally at the MCG again vs top placed swans.

Saying that , had the dogs won that 2021 grand final vs demons, that path would of been impressive too. Had to win in Tassie, then in the Gabba vs Brisbane, then belt Port in Adelaide oval by 70 points on the preliminary final .

Freo 2022 blew a top 4 chance, finished 5th and won their first final at Optus. However they ran into Collingwood in Week 2 and lost to the Pies at the 'G.

Just shows how hard it is to win 3 finals in a row away from home to the flag. Only has been done once since 2000

People discount Adelaide's 1998 run because it was under the old system. I argue that makes it even better as their first match would've been against the 8th team (Essendon?) at home, meaning they would've likely advanced to the second week regardless, with the added benefit of an easier home game.

This year, the top 4 weren't particularly strong given our form collapsed in the back third of the year and Port, GWS and Geelong have a lot of flaws in their game. I'd argue that Brisbane, Hawthorn and the Dogs were the better teams by the end of the year, so it's not surprising at all that one of them went on to win the flag.

Lions 2024 was the better run with Brisbane not stepping foot on home ground since the first week and had to win 3 finals on the road from 5th.

Bulldogs 2016 was gifted.

From Rnd 23 the Dogs went Perth/Perth/Melbourne/Sydney/Melbourne and sent foot on home ground zero times, as their home ground is Marvel. Not really sure what you are on about, as if the Dogs played every final at their home ground? The Dogs like the Saints have traditionally been bad at the MCG and play their best at Marvel. If anything Sydney should have had the advantage as the MCG is an open air ground the Dogs dont play many games at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs 2016 vs Lions 2024 - who had the better run

Back