Autopsy Dogs def Suns by 54 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Keen to get people's thoughts on Hunters game. I was very critical of him in the match day thread. I know he got 31, but he is such a butcher, a slow decision maker and rarely keeps his feet.

Thought he was brilliant in the first quarter. Used it really well in the first into the wind, kept lowering his eyes and provided a heap of run off half back which was important. Thought he was probably third best behind Picken and Macrae in the first.

Butchered it after QT and wasn't very influential. So decent game overall.

AFL website...poor honey :p

63mERy8.jpg
put the Brazzers logo on this

Thought he was brilliant in the first quarter. Used it really well in the first into the wind, kept lowering his eyes and provided a heap of run off half back which was important. Thought he was probably third best behind Picken and Macrae in the first.

Butchered it after QT and wasn't very influential. So decent game overall.
Wow really. Ok. Might have to watch the replay. Find him a pretty frustrating player

That was our biggest win of the season, in fact our biggest since Rd 2 last year. Yet looking at the eviscerated GCS side that tired badly in the final term I reckon par would be about a 50 point win so I'm definitely not getting too excited. Let's bank the 4% and move on to next week.

Biggest downer was definitely the loss of Morris and probably that's the season, if not the career, for him.

Second biggest downer was listening to Brereton's scarcely disguised barracking for the Suns against the Dogs. He and Lynch in the same broadcast box is a bit hard to take. Both hold us in contempt, maybe because we were a basket case of a club for most of their playing career. There are a lot of people from that generation who sneered at us, and not without cause unfortunately. Since the late 90s we've been competitive on and off the field and I hope that means there will be ongoing respect once the likes of Dermie and Lynch have shuffled off. The only other insufferable ex-player on TV that I can think of is Ling with his smug support for the Cats and his disingenuously "objective" comments on their games. Why do they roster him for those games, FFS?

Anyway, enough of the negatives. I was pleased to see:
  • Another assured performance from Young. Definitely cause for excitement but I want to see him do the same against some top 8 clubs before I go OTT about him.
  • Someone - anyone - kicking a bag. Especially nice that it was Picken. Nobody deserves it more. Last time anyone got more than 5 was Crameri against Essendon in the corresponding round 2 years ago.
  • Redpath with a solid game as a roaming CHF, even taking overhead CMs, something we seldom see from Jack. He was playing Cloke's role today. It wasn't just that he played well but that we actually had an effective marking target in that transitional space just outside 50.
  • Honeychurch making some important contributions at crucial moments. Didn't get a lot of possessions but made a few big plays and was Picken-like in his courageous approach to the contest. He plays again next week based on that. (Incidentally I think the criticism of him missing a shot from 55 out is a bit harsh and the other was harsh too - shooting at goal into the wind was challenging for all players ... bar Picken)
  • McLean and Biggs backing up their recent good form with strong performances again today.
  • Dale's continued rise to prominence. He has proved he is no flash in the pan. He has now kicked goals in each of his last 5 games (9 goals in that period).
There were some slightly worrying negatives but I don't want to nit pick. Some have already been mentioned here.
Overall that was a borderline top-8 performance. Got the job done but not wholly convincing. We'll need to recover well and improve at least 10% on today if we're a chance against the Dons.

Keen to get people's thoughts on Hunters game. I was very critical of him in the match day thread. I know he got 31, but he is such a butcher, a slow decision maker and rarely keeps his feet.

Another great game from Young.

Libba, thought he was good last week but couldn't back it up.

I might be in the minority but I think Morris plays on. Can't afford to lose him, Boyd and Murphy in one year.

We really are missing the flexibility T. Boyd gives us. Roughy pretty ordinary again.

Going to be interesting down back next week against a big forward line. Collins has been good in the VFL, think Bevo will give him a shot
I've been a critic of Hunter in the past, but I can see what he gives us most weeks. He butchers the ball by foot and sometimes hands, I agree, but he works his arse off all day to get to spots and gives us a lot of run. I still think he's frustrating, and think he is probably one of three guys, Clay and Dahlhaus that are some of our worst kicks in the team. I don't think we can keep them all. And I think right now, Clay would be the one to make way with his lack of pace not doing him any favours.

Theres not a lot to argue with there other than the fact that it all rides on a pretty big If. After the Hurley talk of last year, Ill get excited about the prospect of Lever playing for us when it gets announced. Until then, I'd rather talk about what we have and what we have is un undersized 3rd tall defender being asked to take on men that have him covered week after week in both height and bulk. That he doesn't have a lot of contested marks to his name shouldn't really come as a surprise.
Agree, based on no inside knowledge but plenty of experience with the AFL rumour mill I reckon there's only about a 10% chance we land Lever.
TBH I'd rather we went hard for a fast, strong, classy midfielder. With Adams, Cordy, Young and Collins on our list it's a more pressing need IMO.

Agree, based on no inside knowledge but plenty of experience with the AFL rumour mill I reckon there's only about a 10% chance we land Lever.
TBH I'd rather we went hard for a fast, strong, classy midfielder. With Adams, Cordy, Young and Collins on our list it's a more pressing need IMO.

If we're going to go all in, as we'd have to with Lever I'd rather it were for Josh Kelly.

Teams with makeshift tall's can win Premierships. Those with middle of the road mid-fields can't.

Would potentially allow Adams to move forward and fill that glaring need but I agree completely, I'd rather target the midfielder. Struggle to see Lever leaving though, has a pretty cozy situation in a top side. I'd be staying another couple of years at least

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hunter's game was a mix of good and bad. I'm nervous when he has possession and he did stuff it up a few times - at least one was a totally unpressured error where he burned a great scoring opportunity.

In his favour he ran hard through the middle most of the day and kept presenting, so he was a handy link-up player.

As I've said about Young, I'll be more inclined to praise him if he does it against a hardened top 8 side in the coming weeks. Today Hunter was able to run around getting possessions at will, especially when the younger Gold Coast players tired. He might have got 31 possessions but 25 of them were uncontested. I also think he doesn't tackle enough.

TBH I liked Honeychurch's 14 disposal game just as much. Hunter has more natural skill and attributes - based on that he is underperforming IMO and a fair way off his best of 2016. Honeychurch on the other hand is getting nearly everything out of his more limited natural abilities.

You smashed us
You destroyed us
Humiliated us
We are weeping
U r superior
U own us
We are a disgrace

I get it

Anyway I'm just dropping by because your player Morris got that hand injury and by all accounts he's a great clubman for you guys and I'm sorry that it occurred.
So all the best for the rest of the season while we weep and get angry again over the Lemon that we have to put up with Year in Year Out and I hope you have another run at it in September.

Dunno if it's just me but we seemed to hit targets and move the ball better for much of the game. Good signs.

Good to see Young back it up. Shattered for Moz.

Bombers a test next week. Bring close to our best and we should win. Interesting.

His turnovers hurt us and he got done holding the ball at least three times. I just don't see what he brings to the side as he's not particularly fast, he's not great overhead and he isn't an elite ball user. The only thing he seems to do well is spin out of tackles which isn't that useful unless you can hurt the opposition with pace or kicking. I get that he's young but the way people on here talk about him you'd think he's the next Bob Murphy.
I agree with this one Scrag. If it was Matthew Boyd who playing that role getting caught holding the ball three times in the match I hate to think at the vitriol delivered his way on this thread. Yet people are excusing a "decent" 19 possession game when he's only gotten that few touches once out of the 9 games this season.

Harsh!
Here to be educated, but he [Bob] was 11th for kicks and 12th for disposals today, and kicked a goal. Third bottom for Fantasy points I admit - but can't see that he was that bad????

'Putrid' is like hardly getting near it at all to me.

For this season he is

4th in kicks per game
10th in disposals per game
8th in Fantasy points per game

Sounds good to me

You smashed us
You destroyed us
Humiliated us
We are weeping
U r superior
U own us
We are a disgrace

I get it

Anyway I'm just dropping by because your player Morris got that hand injury and by all accounts he's a great clubman for you guys and I'm sorry that it occurred.
So all the best for the rest of the season while we weep and get angry again over the Lemon that we have to put up with Year in Year Out and I hope you have another run at it in September.
Thanks for the good words about Mozz. You aren't a disgrace, injuries didn't help - things will pick up! :thumbsu:

I agree with this one Scrag. If it was Matthew Boyd who playing that role getting caught holding the ball three times in the match I hate to think at the vitriol delivered his way on this thread. Yet people are excusing a "decent" 19 possession game when he's only gotten that few touches once out of the 9 games this season.
I agree, but I also think it's fair to expect more from somebody with almost 300 games experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Dogs def Suns by 54 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back