Review Dogs down Blues 79-59

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent week for our backline. They were awesome tonight. Last year we lose that game because we have a crap back 6-7.

And Arty Jones is a weapon. Even before he kicked that critical goal. He just covers so much ground and you can tell opposition sides really feel him

That wasn't such a great game, but it sure was a hell of a win!

Ed was superb. The Jones brothers were tremendous. Baz, well, I hope there's more of that the rest of the year.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did the commentators put on black armbands after the game? What a bunch of ...

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The commentators were a f*^%ing disgrace. Incessant barracking all night. I reckon when one of Arty, Libba or Baz kicked their goals you could hear the commentators were kinda flat

Yes it was unfair on JOD, but it allowed Lobb to play up the ground more and help out in defence and he had his best game for the club so far. So that's a tick to Bevo whether you like it or not.

No way.

The thing that makes Lobb good most of the time is taking his chances in front of goal. Which why he was influential today.

I have been raving about the selections the past month or so. The JOD selection was the MC of old, that was an unwelcome return.

Clearly they wanted to reward his hard work and talent but got caught up in the story. Fair enough to come in if he was going to play down back where he has dominated but playing him forward put him on a hiding to nothing and through out the structures that had been working so well the past month.

He tried hard and it’s good the kid had a win but he was put in a bit of an unfair situation.

McNeil had been in really good touch as the sub and the game he came in when Libba was out. Made no sense that he didn’t come in to the 22.
It was unquestionably a poor selection and nearly cost us the game.

On the plus side- in his minimal involvements I saw a speckle of something very intriguing. One to watch

Olde English ( see what I did there.. ) would have folded like a cheap suit the entire game in the past, but to his credit as Pittonet smashed him for 98% of the game, he had some important touches in the last 3-4 minutes..

And PS, Spangher can officially get f*&#ed. We should have belted them by 6-8 goals if we had a cohesive forward structure. He needs to go at end of season.

Woof Woof - Arty Jones, dead set gun kid.

the O'Donnell selection was not great, was never going to be able to impact, but the sub strategy was worse

sat out most of the 3rd quarter if not all, then sub is made 5 mins into the last, we were one player down for 35 minutes.

English’s last 5 minutes was very strong.

Arty Jones was massive in the last quarter had his hand in everything.

Richards and Baz were very strong.

Liked Marras game

Wasn’t the prettiest game to watch and we show ourselves in the foot at times. Selection was a bit iffy too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was unquestionably a poor selection and nearly cost us the game.

On the plus side- in his minimal involvements I saw a speckle of something very intriguing. One to watch

Definitely one to watch. Looking forward to seeing him get chances as a defender at AFL level. Might not be too far off.

Less down than I was about an ugly win last week because I feel nothing for GWS, while this was against a bunch of tanking, cheating, heartless, spineless campaigners who've been talking themselves up for my entire 2.5 decades of conscious thought without a thing but 4 wooden spoons to show for it. Keep celebrating your #1 draft picks and visy recruits you ****ing maggots and may you rot in 9th place from now to eternity.

Well, you'd be lying if you said we'd be 20 point winners after going four points down, and looking out of legs. Blues had all the spread, and the run.

But we found a way, and showed a lot of character to do so. Arty Jones was massive during our two surge periods, the one where we ran out to a 31 point lead, and then again to recover and put on four quick goals to close out the game. He looked a lot stronger in the tackles and held a few this time around.

Libba was probably our best mid for most of the game. He looked stiff as late, and up stood Bailey Smith to take the game by the reigns. Was solid all game, but that last quarter is where he stood up the most. Showing us the Bailey Smith we know he is capable of being.

Richards is just a machine with his intercept marking and attacks on the contest. Is our most rounded rebounder in terms of attacking and defensive ability.

English had a stinker. But he had a couple of important taps directly to our guys in the middle when it mattered with the game on the line. Same for Weightman, hasn't really had much impact since his first game back. But got more involved as the game went on, with his crowning moments in the final quarter. 10 of his 12 possessions were contested, stuck 5 tackles and some score involvements late. These type of games really show who you can rely on to stand up in a finals like intensity with a game on the line. A few really stood out tonight.

O'Donnell was unfortunate, not due to his ability. But our forward system for most of the game was poor and our talls did not do much outside of a couple of patches. Be curious to hear Bevos reasoning of putting a defender up forward. Whether it was to play a negating role, or they feel he will add something.

For those saying the move almost cost us the game. He wasn't the reason our smalls didn't pick up the crumbs and stop the Blues walking out of defence, or the mids slowing down play to much when attacking, or running out of legs, or defenders forgetting how to man up. Wasn't an issue when we were 31 points up. Harsh to blame someone who wasn't even on the field the second half when we almost pissed the game away.

Last edited:
Olde English ( see what I did there.. ) would have folded like a cheap suit the entire game in the past, but to his credit as Pittonet smashed him for 98% of the game, he had some important touches in the last 3-4 minutes..

And PS, Spangher can officially get f*&#ed. We should have belted them by 6-8 goals if we had a cohesive forward structure. He needs to go at end of season.

Woof Woof - Arty Jones, dead set gun kid.
English took the chocolates in the ruck contest

Artie Jones was simply awesome in the last quarter. He has completely arrived now and his selection will be automatic from now on. It's brilliant to have two genuinely good pressure small forwards in Weightman and Jones, with Scott a more than capable alternative small forward.

I really liked that when Carlton kicked six in a row and we were very wobbly, the response was to double down on being attacking and we put our heads over it and charged forward.

Well done Bevo. We needed to stop Carlton's momentum and you found a way to do that.

Good win in the end.

For mine the decisive factor in the last 20 minutes was English working out that he needed to jump over Pittonet at the centre bounces.

For most of the game Pittonet was positioning himself and using his bulk at the drop of the ball at centre bounces all around the ground ball ups.

He would then just drop the ball at his feet giving the Carlton mids first use of the ball and thus the lopsided contested ball advantage they had for most of the night.

Once this adjustment was made the game swung back onto our terms.
Exactly!!

Lmao at the people slagging Weightman in the game day, he was immense in the 4th
We saw the benefit of his time running through the midfield during the preseason. In the last he spent time on the ball and as a high half forward.

I can't speak to the game day thread, but until the last he had been pretty poor.

Good on him for staying in the game and playing a pivotal part in the win.

But I dont think anybody who criticised his game prior to the last qtr was wrong.

Needed to make that sub. We had 40 minutes of springboard exits from our forward line. Fixed it. Steadied and pulled out a gritty win
It was so clear for so long that our structure was not right. This was due to the decision to select JOD but then not play him in defence. Whoever was responsible for that is a moron. I assume it was Bevo but really, it made no sense. Just let him find his way in the VFL and then play him when there is a vacant spot in a position he can play. Don’t stuff up the structure and forward pressure/midfield rotations by replacing Treloar with JOD.

Nothing against him, he tried hard and had a few moments in his first game but it was a really bizarre decision to play him at all and then even more bizarre with where he played. I would love to hear why the coaches thought it was a good decision and also why they waited so long to change it.

Normally I don’t like rookies to only play one game before going back to the VFL but we simply cannot do that again next week at Ballarat when the ball will be on the ground a lot and we will need more pressure.

Good win in the end. Probablh shouldn't have needed to make a comeback 😅

Arty and Liam Jones were great.

Marra early was good playing high

Our half backs were fantastic. JJ and Richards were probably best on ground for us.

Smith got better as the game wore on.

English and Bont well down on their usual output and we still managed to scrape a win.

The match comittee are bloody stupid sometimes. JOD had no hope being played like that. Extremely silly selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dogs down Blues 79-59

Remove this Banner Ad

Back