Review Dogs down Blues 79-59

Remove this Banner Ad

For mine the decisive factor in the last 20 minutes was English working out that he needed to jump over Pittonet at the centre bounces.

For most of the game Pittonet was positioning himself and using his bulk at the drop of the ball at centre bounces all around the ground ball ups.

He would then just drop the ball at his feet giving the Carlton mids first use of the ball and thus the lopsided contested ball advantage they had for most of the night.

Once this adjustment was made the game swung back onto our terms.
I said this in the game thread that he needed to jump over them instead of engaging in a body wrestle

Ed Richards has become an elite player.

Great game from Baz.

Arty had a huge influence on the game.

Great to get it done without relying on a Bont master-class.

I must admit, I was more than a little salty when the Blues strung 6 goals together. We looked all over them and somehow gave them a sniff. Yes, I know that at some point the oppo are going to have their time in the game, but it's frustrating to watch.
On a positive note, lots of guts to wrestle control back in the last! Nice contribution from Scott hitting the scoreboard was crucial

There was a great lesson there with the change in ball movement after they lost the lead, all night going long in straight lines to half forward didn’t work but when they added more speed on the ball it all opened up inside 50. It was an issue last week where they weren’t direct enough, I think it’s an over correction at times for the defensive issues last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Olde English ( see what I did there.. ) would have folded like a cheap suit the entire game in the past, but to his credit as Pittonet smashed him for 98% of the game, he had some important touches in the last 3-4 minutes..

And PS, Spangher can officially get f*&#ed. We should have belted them by 6-8 goals if we had a cohesive forward structure. He needs to go at end of season.

Woof Woof - Arty Jones, dead set gun kid.
Right oh, we won the game, no need to be so crude. You don't post much, try to make it half readable.

With the 4 points in the bag it is actually sweeter that the Blues thought they would win before getting out back in their box in the 4th.

Great to see Baz have such influence as a genuine inside mid. Will wait for the stats but I don’t think Macca attended one CBA.

JUHs aerial game is progressing really nicely, still murders too many gilt edged ground balls.

Has so many nearly moments still. He is getting closer and closer. Think it was the third where he fumbled two good chances that he most likely would've snaffled.

Doing so much good stuff still and he isn't far from really tearing games apart. Only took 4 marks/1 contested, but agree that he looked like a far more dangerous aerial presence.

I must admit, I was more than a little salty when the Blues strung 6 goals together. We looked all over them and somehow gave them a sniff. Yes, I know that at some point the oppo are going to have their time in the game, but it's frustrating to watch.
On a positive note, lots of guts to wrestle control back in the last! Nice contribution from Scott hitting the scoreboard was crucial
Difference now is we seem to be able weather the storm, hold strong and fight back. Previously we'd panic, lose our structure and get pumped. We seem to have found the nerve to stay strong until it turns.

Arthur 'Clutch' Jones
Bailey 'Ice in my veins' Smith
Tom 'Century at the MCG' Liberatore
Jamarra 'Put an end to racism' Ugle Hagan
Anthony 'Success of the Footscray vfl program' Scott

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said this in the game thread that he needed to jump over them instead of engaging in a body wrestle
English regularly runs into the issue of how to counter large mobile guys who plant their feet at a centre bounce.

It seems to discombobulate him when his direct opponent isn't running and jumping at the ball.

His problem is that he runs into one of the games better exponent of it next week.

Obviously pretty happy with the result.

However i think buku has every right to feel aggrieved on selection regarding this. Basically went back to the 4 tall forward options and whilst the logic was sound buku deserved a spot in the role.

happy to see o'donnell get a crack but maybe we just develop him in the 2s as an intercepting kpd who can be a viable option to replace some aging kpds we have.

Has so many nearly moments still. He is getting closer and closer. Think it was the third where he fumbled two good chances that he most likely would've snaffled.

Doing so much good stuff still and he isn't far from really tearing games apart. Only took 4 marks/1 contested, but agree that he looked like a far more dangerous aerial presence.

He was pretty strong in a few contests late that we converted from.

I was quite negative last week with our fade out v GWS and while it was disappointing to give up another lead, you just have to be happy with the fight back. I didn’t think they had it in them.

English was a bit disappointing but was great in that last 10 mins.

Think we are in safe hands at the draft with Milesi if Arty Jones is the type of player he can identify.

Ed Richards won’t get the credit in the media but he was best on for mine.

I think we’d all agree we have another gear or two, but another win next week would be huge for our season.

Ed and JJ were very good off half back.

Carlton's goalkicking in the first half was poor, and we probably didn't deserve our half time lead. On the other hand we dominated the last 5-10 mins of the 3rd quarter yet they kicked 1 goal to 0, so we probably should have had a 14 or 20 point lead instead of a 8 point one at 3QT.

Some issues with our stagnant ball movmement and rebound that reminded me much of our mid 2022 bad form than our first two games this year.

But on the other hand, our midfielders 2, 3 and 4 in Smith, Libba and Macrae stood up after falling behind and showed their experience and class. After they got beaten in the Port game by JHF and Butters, it was good that our best midfield depth wrestled control at the stoppage.

Jones excellent 4th quarter two weeks in a row. Had a hand in every goal and has a bit of Shai Bolton in him in his ability to win, move the ball and make decisions while all at speed and agility.

And it's also a game where some of our coaching was a bit iffy, but it's good to have raw talent across the park. Some key balls won, kicks hacked and tackles laid in the last quarter - nothing tactical about that, just our players win key battles late.

A real important win that really puts us in the box seat to make finals now, especially with Sydney's loss.

View attachment 1686957

We had two first rounders in the 2017 draft. We nailed them.
Thank god for traffic on the Monash in late 2017.
Carlton interviewed Ed but he was late to the meeting and they passed over him for O'Brien.

Idiots like me questioned why we targeted a KPD in Naughton (with a dodgy field kick) when we had the likes of Talia and Hamling on our list

And McKay did sweet * all without the umpires handing him frees 30 metres out directly in front, how s**t do you have to be to go around the body for a shot at goal when you're on a 45 degree angle?
Its staggering how well looked after Curnow and McKay are by the umpires.

That they keep them to two goals between them speaks volumes about the job that our KPB did as they rotated through them.

Jones, Keath and Gardner probably won't rate too many mentions in post game analysis of the game, but I thought they were all pretty good.

Putting aside the god awful kicking clanger that the latter two had that resulted in Carlton goals. But Im in a forgiving mood tonight.

Last edited:
I think that was a good game for English, in the sense that he worked out how to counter Pittonet, albeit late in the game. Good to see him adjusting and learning from it. Hopefully it points to what to do against these lump ruckmen. Don’t engage body to body but use your superior athleticism to jump at the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dogs down Blues 79-59

Remove this Banner Ad

Back