Dog's umpires pets?

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding ducking, we really only have 1 player who consistently ducks, Toby Mclean. Which is about the same as most teams. Mclean only averages 2.2 high free kicks a game, which is a fair way off the likes of Selwood. 2.2 per game ranks him 8th in the league behind:
#1 Selwood 3.3 a game
#2 Shuey 2.6
#3 Ward 2.6
#4 Lycett 2.56
#5 Christensen 2.5
etc etc..
#8 Mclean 2.2
These are high free kick stats? I find it really difficult to believe that Lycett is getting 2.5 high free kicks a game!?

The Dogs contested ball differential is actually incredible, we're talking 2x-45x more than the rest of the competition. That's historical amounts of contested ball. Footywire only started recording CP differential since 2009, but since then no one has even come close to +25.4, and/or +10 more than the competition. The closest is Collingwood in 2010 with +14.6 with Carlton in 2nd place with +13.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_rankings?year=2011&type=DA&sby=23&advv=Y

Interesting. I said to my Dogs supporting mate after the Hawthorn game that too many Dogs get sucked into the contest. I've seen it happen in another game since. I forget which one. I wonder if they've gone too far in that direction.

Sorry to be off topic.

Interesting. I said to my Dogs supporting mate after the Hawthorn game that too many Dogs get sucked into the contest. I've seen it happen in another game since. I forget which one. I wonder if they've gone too far in that direction.

Sorry to be off topic.

A problem that you see a lot when a team throws a ton of players into a contest is that if the ball gets out then it's almost certainly going to be an easy inside 50 for the opposition. The fact that we have the stingiest defence means that we're winning the ball in a contested situation and aren't just blazing away and turning it over like how we used to a couple of years ago.

A problem that you see a lot when a team throws a ton of players into a contest is that if the ball gets out then it's almost certainly going to be an easy inside 50 for the opposition. The fact that we have the stingiest defence means that we're winning the ball in a contested situation and aren't just blazing away and turning it over like how we used to a couple of years ago.

So why, with stats like that, aren't you 11-0?

So why, with stats like that, aren't you 11-0?

Because our usage of the ball going inside 50 has dropped a lot since round 3. We lost Murphy there, lost Johannisen the week after that and lost Suckling the week after that. When you lose three of your best kicks and link up players in quick succession then you're going to lose a lot of quality inside 50s. We've always been inaccurate but the three named players kicking into our 50 would reliably hit up targets that had much easier shots.

At least Suckling has come back in and looked like he hasn't missed a beat and Johannisen is supposed to be back after the bye (it sounds like he will most likely be back for the Sydney match actually)

Because our usage of the ball going inside 50 has dropped a lot since round 3. We lost Murphy there, lost Johannisen the week after that and lost Suckling the week after that. When you lose three of your best kicks and link up players in quick succession then you're going to lose a lot of quality inside 50s. We've always been inaccurate but the three named players kicking into our 50 would reliably hit up targets that had much easier shots.

At least Suckling has come back in and looked like he hasn't missed a beat and Johannisen is supposed to be back after the bye (it sounds like he will most likely be back for the Sydney match actually)

No. Sorry. We're talking a contested ball differential of unprecedented proportions. Something's going awry.

This is very true and something the Eagles supporters have run with for quite awhile when people complain about all the free kicks we get. In general if you get the ball first you will be rewarded. My issue with the dogs is their blatant throwing of the ball which the umpires let them get away with. It isn't just a dogs problem it's just they are very good at it and this has risen from the umpires changing the interpretation so that the hand holding the ball is now allowed to create the momentum.
Blatant throwing? have you been to the game and actually watched them play?

If its not the umpiring giving us fee kicks, its the "throwing" we do. Stop being salty please

Swans and dogs get away with throwing

We probably get huh free

Josh kenendy never gets a free yet gets scragged at every contest

Swings and roundabouts

Game yesterday wasn't badly umpired ....few each way ...didn't affect outcome of game

Remove this Banner Ad

Dog's umpires pets?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back