Game Day Dogs vs Pies @ Moe Saturday 10 March

Remove this Banner Ad

If there was a mid season draft this year, Sydney would be paying overs for one of our fringe talls now that Naismith is gone for the season and Tippett retired.
Their rucks are now Sinclair and Cameron.

Mid season draft / trade period is made for Tom Campbell

Do you think we’ve went a bit overboard with our approach of drafting and retaining KPP’s/ dual position rucks
Young
Trengove
Schache
Roberts
Roughead
Redpath
Naughton
Mullenger-McHugh
Collins
Campbell
Boyd
Cordy

And that doesn’t include Tim English who I think is solely as a ruck. And also Dale Morris who is in his last year this year. I don’t understand why we were so quick to re-sign the likes of Campbell and Roberts last year. It’s now going to be bloody hard to fit these guys not just in our best 22. But also Footacrays as well.

It’s even more puzzling when u consider where footy is going...

- clearly sides moving towards playing one ruck not two
- new last touch rules coming in meaning less emphasis on rucks at throw ins
...... meaning lessrucks needed on a list

- clearly sides looking at only two key fwds not three - smaller fwd lines
.... meaning less tall backs needed
..... meaning less tall fwds needed

umm... what?

Maybe, just maybe the selection committee have Roughy and Trengrove ahead of Boyd in the 22 right now.

Schache though a tall plays very differenly to Boyd.

Boyd needs to dominate at VFL level where we have games this week and next week to put his hand up as deserving a place in round 1.

Clearly AFLX and 2 practice matches have changed our selection policy for these games and we are clearly preparing for round 1.

Over the last 3 years I cannot remember a team selection that this board has been happy with, in facts the melts have matched game day.

This is our best team available and the extended bench is being utilised to see pit of thr fringe who is likely to make the 22 for round 1.

Though only a JLT I would like to see a win in this game with this squad

I wonder whether Mitch Wallis should try half back. I just don’t see him as a quality mid/forward.

He’s smart and super tough. Maybe he could make the transition like Boyd did.
Matthew Boyd was a really good mark and had superb
aerial timing, Mitch Wallis is not as good in the air and
is too slow in terms of leg speed. For me it's Libber or
Wallis not both as McLean and Dahlhaus offer us a
little more variety and involvement.

Agree he’s a very exciting talent. Love what he has.

But playing some VFL footy doesn’t mean guys aren’t developing. Probably the best thing for him. He’s so so young (pardon the pun).

Collins is the one that’s cooked.
Agree, young just needs more time and he is an able replacement if anyone gets injured or loses form. As impressive as Naughton has been you would expect some drop off at some point and Young would come back in.
I had almost forgotten about Collins until you mentioned him he is looking more and more like a bust now.

Maybe, just maybe the selection committee have
Clearly AFLX and 2 practice matches have changed our selection policy for these games and we are clearly preparing for round 1.

Over the last 3 years I cannot remember a team selection that this board has been happy with, in facts the melts have matched game day.

This is our best team available and the extended bench is being utilised to see pit of thr fringe who is likely to make the 22 for round 1.

I think you can extend the three years to the beginning of time!

Maybe, just maybe the selection committee have Roughy and Trengrove ahead of Boyd in the 22 right now.

Schache though a tall plays very differenly to Boyd.

Boyd needs to dominate at VFL level where we have games this week and next week to put his hand up as deserving a place in round 1.

It's ridiculous. Our sessions have essentially been closed all summer and people will still sit here and think they know more about what the makeup of the side should look like, over the guys that have been working with them closely for 4 months.

It's ridiculous. Our sessions have essentially been closed all summer and people will still sit here and think they know more about what the makeup of the side should look like, over the guys that have been working with them closely for 4 months.
Thats true but it gives us all something to do when we should be working!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What new last touch rules? ... and clearly the direction other teams are moving means jack shit. Not gonna win anything following other teams

Tom Boyd is officially the biggest trade bust in AFL history.

Nope.. We (most likely) wouldn't have won the 2016 grand final without him.

A bust - think back to the Veale deal, the Jackovich debacle etc etc.

Matthew Boyd was a really good mark and had superb
aerial timing,

Not sure that Matty was as good as a mark as you believe, what did help him into a 1/2 back flanker role was IMO his ability to read the play very well (the trade he learnt when he was playing on the ball)

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Dogs vs Pies @ Moe Saturday 10 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Back