Game Day Dogs vs Pies @ Moe Saturday 10 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Mid season draft / trade period is made for Tom Campbell

Can see this happening, BTC's days are numbered IMO - similar can be said for Red

Mid season draft / trade period is made for Tom Campbell

If the selections shown in JLT translate through the season, then Campbell and Collins are gone, with Redpath and Roberts lucky they have another year left on their contracts. Although ideally the club would look at moving them on anyway.

Interesting that 2 players crucial to our final 2 wins of 2016 are, at this stage, not considered best 22. Smith was our main goal scorer in the Prelim and Boyd our 'almost BOG' in the Grand Final. Early days yet, but time waits for no man.

Not sure that Matty was as good as a mark as you believe, what did help him into a 1/2 back flanker role was IMO his ability to read the play very well (the trade he learnt when he was playing on the ball)
Matthew Boyd
2003: 8 Games, 12 Marks.
2004: 19 Games, 91 Marks.
2005: 17 Games, 66 Marks.
2006: 24 Games, 132 Marks.
2007: 22 Games, 137 Marks.
2008: 25 Games, 133 Marks.
2009: 25 Games, 120 Marks.
2010: 23 Games, 107 Marks, 8 Contested.
2011: 22 Games, 85 Marks, 4 Contested.
2012: 22 Games, 112 Marks, 5 Contested.
2013: 13 Games, 61 Marks, 3 Contested.
2014: 19 Games, 69 Marks, 3 Contested.
2015: 19 Games, 148 Marks, 6 Contested.
2016: 24 Games, 161 Marks, 10 Contested.
2017: 10 Games, 57 Marks, 4 Contested.

Mitch Wallis
2011: 6 Games, 17 Marks, 2 Contested.
2012: 19 Games, 68 Marks, 1 Contested.
2013: 18 Games, 28 Marks, 1 Contested.
2014: 14 Games, 19 Marks, 0 Contested.
2015: 20 Games, 66 Marks, 5 Contested.
2016: 17 Games, 45 Marks, 4 Contested.
2017: 12 Games, 37 Marks, 4 Contested.

Mike, if that taught me one thing it's that i need to
learn to cut and paste, Boyd did have stronger
numbers back so the same could happen with
Wallis i guess. "Superb" word of the week !

Some mystery for sure with no Boyd or Wally. Had them best 22. Perhaps it's just an issue with minor niggles has them slightly behind?
You are bang on the money with that call!

"(Tom is) training hard and getting up to peak fitness and form, (but) had a slight hiccup in the pre-season with a glute injury and missed a couple of weeks," King said.

"We've got a full and available list, and 'Boydy', like a handful of others, is definitely not out of contention for round one.

"He's happy, he's healthy and he's building."

Midfielder Mitch Wallis is in a similar situation to Boyd, with the 25-year-old also suffering a glute injury over the summer.

Wallis, who missed the club's 2016 premiership with a badly broken leg, must also be in doubt for round one after he was unavailable for the club's intra-club session in late February.

I must say I am intrigued and confused with our list we have 14 key position/ruckman see below. This would be more talls than any team and the game seems to be heading the other way. Yet we are playing Easton Wood forward for extra making strength. This clearly says that we have quantity not quality in our talls and Campbell, Collins, Roberts and Redpath are depth players we do not need.

We would be better served replacing these with smaller speedy smalls who may make the grade.

Roughead
Campbell
Trengrove
Boyd
English
Adams
Young
Collins
Cordy
Naughton
Redpath
Schacke
Muellenger- Mchugh
Roberts

I must say I am intrigued and confused with our list we have 14 key position/ruckman see below. This would be more talls than any team and the game seems to be heading the other way. Yet we are playing Easton Wood forward for extra making strength. This clearly says that we have quantity not quality in our talls and Campbell, Collins, Roberts and Redpath are depth players we do not need.

We would be better served replacing these with smaller speedy smalls who may make the grade.

Roughead
Campbell
Trengrove
Boyd
English
Adams
Young
Collins
Cordy
Naughton
Redpath
Schacke
Muellenger- Mchugh
Roberts
We were one of the key instigators of leading the way with 'small' teams, now that we've led teams down that way, maybe we're ahead of the curve again. Most of our tall have at least some athleticism and don't lumber around, so it could be interesting to watch on in the next couple of years.

It’s even more puzzling when u consider where footy is going...
Footy changes dynamically. I don't buy that the game is trending smaller. We've simply had a dearth of quality KPP talent over the past decade or so and clubs have worked out that in the current climate, extra quality smalls > mediocre talls. Quality KPPs still have a huge impact on the game and a number of the top teams still play a relatively high number of talls - GWS, Sydney and Adelaide, for example.

The game will shift back when quality KPPs become more commonplace and we're trying to expedite this process by putting time and resources into young guys we have faith in.

I think we're overstocked in ruck/forwards and key defenders, but I'm happy we're actually investing in a number of them for a change.

Can I ask what you are basing that on? Last year I thought he was having a good pre-season and then got hit with injuries.
Jus from the few times I've seen him. Haven't been convinced, was worth a punt but just don't see it. Doesn't find it enough, not a great defender, isn't good overhead or one on one, has poor game sense and is inconsistent. I don't think he's up to the level despite having a few tricks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jus from the few times I've seen him. Haven't been convinced, was worth a punt but just don't see it. Doesn't find it enough, not a great defender, isn't good overhead or one on one, has poor game sense and is inconsistent. I don't think he's up to the level despite having a few tricks.
Another indicator is that the outlook is poor for any player that has been on a list for two years (even as a rookie) and has never looked like getting a senior game on merit, or been talked about as "close to senior selection". Hasn't even been regularly among the best players in the VFL as far as I can recall, even if injury may have a bit to do with it.

The ones that make it nearly always show at least a glimpse of something special pretty early. Can't really think of any exceptions although I'm sure there would be a few. Even JJ ( a slow starter) was elevated in his second year. From what I've read Lynch has some handy attributes but it hasn't translated into strong match day performances.

I haven't seen Lynch play and I'd love him to succeed but I think his chances are statistically very slim. He needs to make massive gains this year.

Roughead looking a bit sore after an awkward fall. Possible groin, possible nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Dogs vs Pies @ Moe Saturday 10 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Back