News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't say I'm overly fussed with this trade
Mcevoy to me is quite a slow lumbering dinosaur
I'm happy to be proven wrong, in fact I will be more than happy, but I'm not a big wrap for him
If we were after a ruck man so badly I would've preferred young Giles from GWS
Not meaning to be rude but the instant fapfest over big boy on this board has been kind of weird

When you compare him to the guy he is replacing though (Bailey) and ask if he improves our team, i think the answer is yes. He would not be any slower than what Bailey was. He probably isn't as good a tap ruckman either, but that can be improved. What he does have is great endurance and a great mark, and can fill the hole well. Which is A LOT better than Bailey.

So you would be in the no longer camp?
I'm of the view the we now have a quality ruckman with 100 plus games in front of him ( Ben )... Longer is a ruck man who still needs two years at best of devalopment before he ready ......we have one that's had Five years and is ready for his chance .......why cast him aside and assume Billy will come on ....???
I also believe we need a mid ....

Brizzy want too much for Longer so he is probably no longer available to us
Pretty sure there are other more pressing short/medium term needs that need filling than another ruck prospect.
By the time Longer is ready GWS and Suns will be ready to start polishing the silver. and we will have retired Lake, Hodge,Burgers Sewell and Mitch

Brizzy want too much for Longer so he is probably no longer available to us
Pretty sure there are other more pressing short/medium term needs that need filling than another ruck prospect.
By the time Longer is ready GWS and Suns will be ready to start polishing the silver. and we will have retired Lake, Hodge,Burgers Sewell and Mitch

What do they want? I thought it was Pick 18

I can't say I'm overly fussed with this trade
Mcevoy to me is quite a slow lumbering dinosaur
I'm happy to be proven wrong, in fact I will be more than happy, but I'm not a big wrap for him
If we were after a ruck man so badly I would've preferred young Giles from GWS
Not meaning to be rude but the instant fapfest over big boy on this board has been kind of weird

Yeah but now he is OUR slow and lumbering dinosaur

When I heard it on the radio, at first I thought we got McEvoy and 1st round pick for Savage.

So did I! They must have worded it badly if a few of us thought this. I was very excited when I thought we had a first round pick as well :eek: Came back to earth a bit when I realised what had actually transpired ;)

Just reported that as a sweetner for the Sav/Big Boy trade.

Saints get our compensation pick probably number 20 and we get the Saints number 23.

I must say I think this is a bit much but I trust our guys to know their stuff.

I'm of the view the we now have a quality ruckman with 100 plus games in front of him ( Ben )... Longer is a ruck man who still needs two years at best of devalopment before he ready ......we have one that's had Five years and is ready for his chance .......why cast him aside and assume Billy will come on ....???
I also believe we need a mid ....
Cheers mate. I'll back your assessment of Lowden as I know you watch him closely :thumbsu: Got to agree with you in that our priority should be another midfielder now given we have three ruckman on the list capable of playing senior footy in 2014 and are under 25.

Personally I'd be taking a good look at Weller as a free agent and use our draft pick to recruit or draft a midfielder.

Saints get our compensation pick probably number 20 and we get the Saints number 23.

Now we will offer that for longer and feel happier ;)

For what it is worth, in 2012 McEvoy averaged 25.3 hitouts a game. It just dropped a little this year. So it looks like he is capable of pushing and getting a decent number of hitouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That means Hawthorn gets Saints Mcevoy and Pick 23 and we give Savage and Pick 20

Longer was our first choice. The Lions dragged out negotiations, and the longer it took the less likely Longer was to become a Hawk.
Now we have McEvoy, so Longer is no longer an option.
So there is no longer any need to keep talking about Longer. The more we talk about Longer, the longer it will take for us all to re-focus on other needs.
Longer would still be good for the longer term future, but Longer is no longer vital.
The longer this post goes, the more I think of ways to use the word longer. The more times I say longer, the longer it gets. All this talk about Longer is making me long for Longer. But no longer. I am signing off, that is all I have to say about Longer.

So long... er. :cool:

The odds of getting a 100 game player from outside the top 20 is far worse than inside the top 20.
Perhaps, but that's partly because clubs are so much more desperate to give players they spent a first round draft pick on every chance to make it.

Would Jack Watts still be playing for Melbourne had he be recruited with pick 62?

Now that's the kind of unnecessary pick shifting we have come to know and love!

Remove this Banner Ad

News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back