5 Grant J
6 Meyers
7 Palmer R
8 Henderson L
9 McEvoy B
10 Dangerfield P
11 Vezpremi
12 Rioli C

welcome 'your always looking here and there'...and big good luck to sav at the saints...will get the game time he richly deserves.

Just goes to show you how much of a lottery the draft still is. What a massive waste of a resource those players were to their clubs. The trading model that the hawks have been using could be the most effective model for success.

Just goes to show you how much of a lottery the draft still is. What a massive waste of a resource those players were to their clubs. The trading model that the hawks have been using could be the most effective model for success.

To be fair, if Grant continues to progress like he seemed to at the end of this season he will probably end up being a decent pick. Maybe not number 5 worthy, but definitely not in the same category as the others.

To think in 2008 for example wooden spooners Melbourne with their #1 draft pick picked up Jack Watts whereas semi finalists Collingwood got Steele Sidebottom with #11 says it all.

I have to agree with everyone saying this is a good trade. As to who "won" the trade, it doesn't really matter, but I hope for Big Boy, Sav, Hawks and Saints it is a win-win-win-win.
Sav needs to get some inside grunt into his game, as I don't think his disposal is good enough to be a purely outside player (good disposal but not elite). He's got all the tools and if he can put it together he and Jack Stevens will be a dynamic duo for the Saints.
2014 is go!

Very sad to see Savage go. One of my youngest son's favourites. But we welcome big boy with open arms. Onwards and upwards in 2014.

To think in 2008 for example wooden spooners Melbourne with their #1 draft pick picked up Jack Watts whereas semi finalists Collingwood got Steele Sidebottom with #11 says it all.
1# Jack Watts Rookie Draft # 47 Luke Breust, paints a picture of how overrated draft picks can be.

As the news was breaking on radio this morning my first reaction was to fist pump!! Couldn't believe the deal....then they corrected by saying....and 17...I ummed....then fist pumped again!

Big Mac is a seriously great get for us and I'm stoked :)

When I heard it on the radio, at first I thought we got McEvoy and 1st round pick for Savage.

Not sure how I feel about this as I didn't want to lose Savage :( Fair enough if he requested a trade though :) I think McEvoy will probably be a good replacement for Max (not exactly like for like but a good replacement) and I expect him to do a bit better in a better team.

Seems like a genuinely good bloke as well. It's probably not relevant, but I like having good people at the club.

Me too. I know people who know him and they are always telling me what a good bloke he is so on that front it is good addition to the club :thumbsu:

Can't help but think that the Hawks have won this trade by the length of the Flemington Straight - which annoys me, because, you know, Hawthorn keep beating Collingwood and all that.

The Hawks get a young, tough, former top 10 pick ruckman who is just coming into his prime and was being groomed for St Kilda captaincy.

The Saints get pick 18 (possibly higher depending on FA outcomes) in a draft that is widely tipped to be super-shallow and drops off steeply after the first 10-odd picks. They also get a fringe player who played 5 full games for the year leaving a successful club for more opportunity. And with the utmost respect to Shane Savage, who I quite like, history has proven these players to be considerably overrated - I remember Brent Prismall, the young up-and-coming Geelong mid who would apparently be a star at any other club but couldn't cement a spot in the Cats side. Mark Williams, the premiership full forward who kicked 60+ goals in multiple years. Blake Caracella, genius Essendon goalsneak with amazing skills. These sorts of players have a history of looking not-so-amazing in a struggling side.

So yeah, clear Hawks win, I reckon.

Edit: on top of that, the premium on ruckmen is usually excessive at the trade table. Cameroon Wood cost pick 14, for God's sake. CAMERON WOOD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think ruckmen get over valued though at trade time in terms of their actual importance.

Same here, generally.

To me, you may as well advertise "Wanted. 200+ cm person willing to run headlong into another 200+ cm tall person. Skills a bonus"

But I can see that we need a mature one right now, and he can clunk them as well, so if we want to not get monstered in centre clearances, we need a wide-backed, big-arsed 200cm tall person for 2014, so I'm ok with it, really.

I'm hoping our recruiters have sussed out some under-appreciated midfield gems with later picks...

Gee , not sold on big Ben ........
Two points though ....... AFL perspectous has listed only two Ruckman listed as elite , Bens one .
Always believed HOs as over rated , more happy with a tap ruckman who has a high brake even numder ....if Ben can do this and when added to his ability around the ground he will elevate my concerns .
Time will tell .
I now hope we retain Lowden as he's on the cusp of a massive spike in form IMO .......
Our future trades should be to add depth to our midfield .Welcome BigBen .
To Sav .....I truly hope the grass is greener on the other side mate , I really do , all the best mate .

By the way, it's not a win-win for both clubs, because that would be a win-win-win-win. Just a win for both clubs, which is a win-win.

Not aimed at anyone in particular, just getting annoyed with radio coverage.

It's a win/win for McEvoy, and a win/win for Savage too, so its a win/win/win/win/win/win/win/win

Gee , not sold on big Ben ........
Two points though ....... AFL perspectous has listed only two Ruckman listed as elite , Bens one .
Always believed HOs as over rated , more happy with a tap ruckman who has a high brake even numder ....if Ben can do this and when added to his ability around the ground he will elevate my concerns .
Time will tell .
I now hope we retain Lowden as he's on the cusp of a massive spike in form IMO .......
Our future trades should be to add depth to our midfield .Welcome BigBen .
To Sav .....I truly hope the grass is greener on the other side mate , I really do , all the best mate .
So you would be in the no longer camp?

Welcome to McEvoy and farewell to Savage... hope he gets the opportunity he deserves with the saints.

I do love how quiet this deal was. After all the hype surrounding other trades (buddy, thomas etc.) This one kinda came out of left field. Great stuff and both clubs walk out of it with a positive.

With Mcvoy being a very bad tap ruckmen and St.Kilda finishing last on taps to advantage in the season just gone. Could he have been recruited to play forward in buddy spot. As the graham wright is saying club still after longer so with longer and hale in ruck.

1# Jack Watts Rookie Draft # 47 Luke Breust, paints a picture of how overrated draft picks can be.

While you can always show examples like this, in general higher draft picks leads to higher quality players that go on to contribute to the club.

I remember reading an article a few years ago with the average number of games from the top 10 picks and it pretty much was highest and went down on average in the order, except for pick 6 which has been notably terrible over the years (Dowler and Thorp anyone?).

But yeah, I will back the Hawks to pick out some gems late in the draft.

I can't say I'm overly fussed with this trade
Mcevoy to me is quite a slow lumbering dinosaur
I'm happy to be proven wrong, in fact I will be more than happy, but I'm not a big wrap for him
If we were after a ruck man so badly I would've preferred young Giles from GWS
Not meaning to be rude but the instant fapfest over big boy on this board has been kind of weird

Remove this Banner Ad

News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back