4.6 Marks Per Game 2.1
0.3 Goals Per Game 0.2
0.2 Behinds Per Game 0.1
3.1 Tackles Per Game 3.0
18.1 Hitouts Per Game 19.1
0.9 Frees For Per Game 1.1
0.4 Frees Against Per Game 1.4

Mid first round with an ounce of luck.

That would be the best we can hope for . . . I am not going to hold my breath though.

Good luck Savage. Liked him as a player and think he has a hell of a lot of upside. All I can say is we must not really rate this draft at all because as a ruckman Big Ben has way too many games where he is smashed in the ruck. Too slow to have an around the ground impact. Only thing in his favour is he has good hands and is 24 so time to improve...obviously saints don't hold much hope of that or he would still be there.

I'm disgusted.. We give up a 22yr old running machine who kicks goals just as our mids are getting old and we give up our pick 17 for a slow, lumbering ruckman who literally can not jump and clunks a few marks, maxys centre ruck work creams mcevoys. Big Ben is a decent ruck, overall it's an upgrade but he hasn't improved from 2012 as he should, none the less I'll keep faith in our recruiting and welcome the big boy.

Please now HFC, can we get a good young mid? I don't care how we do it but make it happen!! Docherty,Adams,Shiel,Shuey whoever... Plzzzz

5 years ago pick 17 was a second round pick, so it isn't that big a deal, especially as it will probably go out to pick 18 or 19 and we have our compensation pick(s).

It seems to me we wanted Longer and Brisbane decided our offers weren't good enough so we went and got a top ruckman who will have immediate impact and will be a good replacement for Bailey. He is young and isn't at his prime yet. Have faith in him.

In Wrighty we trust.

I trust Wrighty and co here as they have runs on the board and think trust them more than your mates....but anyway time will tell I suppose and just have to trust the club

Normally I also have great confidence in our recruiting staff. They have a good track record.
I am just concerned about losing Buddy, Savage, 3 retirees plus our 1st round pick in a shallow draft, and so far all we have is an overrated ruckman.

Anyway, I sincerely hope I am wrong. Time will tell.

Graham Wright does it again... was Billy Longer a smokescreen while we pounced on St Kilda when everyone was distracted elsehwere? Seems a win/win for both clubs - St Kilda gets a midfielder and a low pick as it builds for the future while we get a (hopefully) gun ruckman about to enter his prime while our premiership window is wide open.

Don't know where this leaves Billy... if we still pursue him, then that means we're cutting another ruckman off our current list. Interesting.

Anyway, congrats to the club coz we needed an experienced ruckman to replace Big Max and we ended up with Big Boy McEvoy. Let us hope this is one major part of the jigsaw puzzle we are now fitting together for continued premiership success. :thumbsu:

GREAT Get. We just traded the same value for a seasoned ruck, just about to hit their prime as we would have for a 9 gamer with little experience. McEvoy has good hands and I think will also flourish under our system.

Savage will get more game time and be able to cement his spot in a line up . I think he will flourish with this security.
Win / Win trade but I think we will be better suited by it. We NEEDED a no1 and Longer was not it. McEvoy will be an upgrade on Max in most areas, hopefully he is as competitive when the ball hits the ground as Max was. Longer was going to struggle with no.1 ruck duties right away and could have been 2 years off really being dominant. Our window might have shut by then and our midfield would have definitely been less experienced.

As I mentioned in the Trade thread, Graham Wright on Trade Radio has said that they are still interested in Billy Longer and have informed his management that the interest is still there, they are hopeful something can be done in the coming days/weeks.

Said that they see Hale as mainly a forward and he's edging towards the end of his career and they think that they can fit Longer in as well as McEvoy.

Very happy with McEvoy is only 24 and he has been playing first ruck for 4+ years in a team that was contending for premierships a couple of years ago. He is slow but has a huge body that can take the rigors of AFL ruckwork. He is a very good mark and has elite endurance also his tapwork is pretty good for hits to advantage.

Just checked his ratings on the official AFL player rating system and he is rated No. 67 in the AFL and 5th best ruckman in the league behind NicNat, Goldstein, Maric and Minson. What I get from his No. 67 high rating is his impact to the game is excellent similar to guys like Cyril who don't get lots of the ball but what he does is quality.

Overall extremely satisfied with this trade and what we had to give up. Big Boy will be great for us. Good luck to Savage at the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is huge by the Hawks, I highly rate McEvoy.
He runs all day, takes good marks and will compete for every contest.

Remember the interchange is being reduced therefore a ruckman who can run all day with fewer rests is a must, well played Hawthorn!

St Kilda have lost the f****** plot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would think that but it looks like there might be more to this deal, with our pick 17 getting Longer to St Kilda and Sam Fisher for pick one from GWS (WHAT!!!!)

Just a rumour at the moment.

You would think that but it looks like there might be more to this deal, with our pick 17 getting Longer to St Kilda and Sam Fisher for pick one from GWS (WHAT!!!!)

Just a rumour at the moment.
It will be very interesting, Longer only wants to go to Hawthorn.
Can't see him wanting to go to a struggling side like St Kilda, and Hawthorn are still interested in Longer but not sure how they will get it done.

Nope...that was my first thought too Miner.

Yeah I can't understand that train of thought at all. Very good trade by the club, exactly what we need, in his prime unlike longer who would have needed a few years. Gives us one of the better 1/2 ruck combos in the league now and all in our premiership window!!!

Wow, why would the Saints trade their number 1 ruck who is 24 years old????

Poor Shane. Gone to death valley for former Hawk players. Michael Moncrieff used to kick goals till he went to St Kilda. Glenn Nugent used to be a speedster with the Hawks and went onto to just being a notch about slow. Dean Anderson was a future Hawks Captain. Kicked goals in the 1989 Grand Final and shuffled off to footy oblivion by joining the Saints. Poor Shane feel so sorry for the young man, deserved better.

Must admit we have got some good ones from the Saints. Russell Greene & Stuart Trott are 2 in particular that went from being at the party club to the club that gave them Grand Final victories.

Feel free to add Guerra to that list of wins. (Y)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back